- advertisement -

Glucose meter question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by katerinas, Oct 22, 2015.

1. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

All these years we have been using the Freestyle lite. However 6 months ago they told me that they stopped production and I must choose another meter. I want one that uses minimum blood and has a light for the night. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

We use the Contour Next USB meter. It seems to use less blood than the other meters we have used. There is a light on the end of it, (my son knows how to get it turned on but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to use it yet) and it is almost spot on with the Dexcom sensors that we use. Another impressive thing is when you have to calibrate the cgm and it asks for two bg's, they are usually just a point or two off. Most meters I have ever used are at least ten to twenty points away from each other. We are really pleased with it plus it just plugs right into your computer. We won't switch to anything else! Take care and hope this helps.

3. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We love the One Touch Verio IQ!

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We mostly use bayer contour next USB. The light only stays on for like 30 seconds, long enough most of the time, but sometimes it turns off too soon if the first prick doesn't work and I have to prick again. When that happens I do my best using the light from the screen. I like that it is small and if you don't get enough blood in at first it gives you time to add more.

Ds also has a verio iq, the amt of blood it uses is small and the strip light is always on when there is a strip in it. The blood loads from the side, not from the end. It is bigger than the contour next meter, but it has some extra features, like it will tell you if you seem to be high or low at that time of day a lot. It might require a little more blood than the bayer maybe? but not as much as the one touch blue strips.

I don't know how the cost of strips compares, we've never bought strips for the verio. For the bayer meter we have a discount card that makes our oop cost $15 a month. If you pay through insurance it may be the same price for either one.

5. katerinas

Thanks! I will probably ask if I can try both.

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Find out what strips your insurance will cover. Ours this year will only cover one touch, period.

7. katerinas

Fortunatelly the state pays for the strips and you can choose which ones you want!:)

8. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Definitely find out about this. We have UHC and they are now only covering one touch strips. We could get other ones paid for through the state insurance, but we just switched to the Verio (Not IQ), which does not have a light for the strip but does have a very well lit screen that almost blinds me at night when I am trying to walk down the steps. I also likes that it tells you that you are in or out of range. We got a free one from the endo's office and the insurance covered a free one as well.

9. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

My son has used the Contour Next Link for well over a year. I had no idea it has a light. Tonight's testing will be nice.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

You turn it on by pressing the power button twice before inserting a strip.

11. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

Thanks. I guess after so many years, it is easy to get to the point where the instruction manual is not always read. After I found out it had a light, I found the instructions online and tested it out. My son thought I was crazy since I had him join me in my closet so I could show him.

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we use the contour next usb meter for night use. It has a strip portal light and if you don't get enough blood on the strip the first time it will give you like 30 seconds to add some more blood. during the day Ashleigh uses the one touch mini meter.