- advertisement -

glucagon?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by hmmmcormick, Nov 4, 2010.

1. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Morgan saw the dietitian today and in passing it came up that we no longer had any glucagon. It had expired and I didn't refill it because Morgan is not taking any insulin at this time. I asked her if she thought we should have some on hand although I can't imagine why we would need it. She talked to the endo and endo said yes, we should have a couple on hand. I did not get to talk to the endo about this so I was wondering why do you think she feels we need glucagon if Morgan is not on any insulin? Any opinions? The dietitian did ask me if Morgan ever had any lows, he has been in the low 70s, but that is not really low.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I have no idea, Holly, other than she may feel it's better to be prepared. I'd just get it anyway.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Holly, has Morgan ever had issues with hyperinsulinism? Ive heard that some babies are born with this but am not sure if people can get it when they are older. I suppose it one had this condition there would be more chance of them going very low:confused: but im not sure of that

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You can go hypo without taking insulin and people with prediabetes often do. But Morgan is really low risk for a dangerous hypo. Here's why:
    1. The top way to get a bad hypo when you don't take diabetes meds is to have your body over-react to a high carb, high glycemic index meal (or snack). Morgan eats what you feed him; he doesn't go and drink a carton of orange juice if he feels like it.
    2. Morgan's ability to respond to low blood sugar is very probably intact to an extent that is usually not there in people with type 1 diabetes. People who make as much insulin as Morgan does usually are able to respond to their own hypoglycemia.

And of course, the top predictor of future severe hypoglycemia is having had minor hypoglycemia in the past week.

So I think you are fine not having glucagon for now.