- advertisement -

Glucagon poll

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jul 25, 2012.

?

Glucagon poll

Poll closed Jul 25, 2013.
  1. Never used, less that 5 years in

56 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Never used, more than 5 year in

44 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Used at home during illness

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Used at home for sudden low ( not ill) -day

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Used at home for sudden low (not ill) - night

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Used at school by nurse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Used at school by someone other than nurse

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Used elsewhere - ie, emt

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Never used but should have been - school

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. Never used but should have been - home

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We are almost 11 years in. I have put the kit together once for my daughter, but then didn't need to use it because she came around. Just recently had the experience of putting it together for a friends child....4 of us moms of diabetics & we were a mess. We were at family diabetes camp & we got the kit put together just as the dr arrived & he administered it to the child that was having a seizure. She has had diabetes for like 6 years...it was their first glucagon experience.

2. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

7 1/2 years in we've never used it. Have had one time when we probably should have. We were out doing a paper run and he bolused for something then dropped it after a couple of bites. I completely forgot he'd have insulin covering it. He dropped to LO and I struggled to get him up. Didn't have the glucagon with us or I would've used it.

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

9+ years never used...knock knock knock on wood.

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Never used it in 5 years - but probably should have for two very combative lows. Would have been easier than the physical battle it took to get gel and/or juice in her. Also, should have used mini-glucagon for an illness once instead of the looooooooooooong vigil of getting BG up and giving insulin over and over to clear ketones.

Hindsight is so much clearer.

5. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

going on 15 years in and i've never had to use it.

BUT i DID have a sub nurse freak out when I had a 40 some and she got the kit out and was thinking about stabbing me with it o_O

6. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

8 1/2 years in and have only used it once so long ago. DD was at home with a BG of 30. Only 10 minutes after 16 ounces of orange juice, she started trembling and BG dripped to 25. I panicked and gave her a mini-dose. She felt horrible afterward from the glucagon. The endo said I should not have used it as she was conscious and could take carbs. I should have waited the 20 minutes, retested and given more carbs if needed. (Easy for her to say).

DD was a very picky child and refused to take Dex. I never forced it on her, but I should have that day. Thankfully, she likes Dex now as it only takes about 5 minutes to start showing up in her blood.

The ex's medical insurance will not cover glucagon anymore, but I still keep it around and send it with her when she goes to cottages, camping, etc.

7. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

I responded for my daughter only - 1 1/2 years in and never used it. My husband has had T1D for 33 years and has never used it either.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We're slowly coming up on 6 years. Never used it so far, but always carry one around and we have one at school and one at home.

9. lisab

lisab Approved members

7 yrs next month.....

Have had to use it during periods of severe hypo unawareness which would result in mod/severe lows.... when she was younger.

Have used the Mini dose rescue too many times to count.... for stubborn hard to treat lows.... also for illness with vomiting..... but mostly during migraines (which affect absorption and digestion of carbs causing lows sometimes for many hours prior to migraine hitting as well as many hours afterwards) or vomiting with very low bg during migraines. Mini dose has saved us many trips to ER.

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We used it at home in the morning for the first time two weeks ago - 5 years and 4 months in - for a seizure after a checked BG of 55

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it's really interesting that in over 100 votes, not one "used at school by nurse". I wasn't expecting that.

12. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Forgot to note that I was once told by an EMT that they don't really use glucagon for lows, opting to use a D5 (think that's what she said) I.V. This is a way to get some type of glucose and fluid in, I believe (I am not a medical professional). Their reluctance to use glucagon is because it causes the liver to release stored glycogen/glucose and it can take several days to replenish those stores. Therefore, if you were to have a severe low again, maybe a day later, there is nothing glucagon can do because your liver is "empty." Hope this makes sense. I got this information about 11 years ago and may not be recalling all the details.

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

This is true from what I know too. The problem comes in when you consider that paramedics might have trouble starting a line on a child or even an adult for that matter. (Because it is not something they are habitually doing and some people are hard to start lines on)

ER nurses struggle in some cases starting lines - that is why a lot of hospitals have IV therapy nurses who are assigned the sole role of starting IVs. I think it is better to do the IM / subcutaneous glucagon in the moment rather than invest the time in starting the line. Also, from what I know you need a large gage line to push D5W ? so that makes the line harder to start.

14. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

That is interesting, and I tend to lump "at school by someone other than nurse" in with that same group since so many districts use nurse consultants and health aids. It's surprising to me that that's only at 2.

Every form I've been asked to fill out for dd (related to D, D camp, other D events / activities) has a section asking about the last severe low resulting in loss of consciousness or seizure, and when we last used glucagon. Those sections make it seem more... common or expected. Looking at the poll here (and, yes, it's not scientific - but it is a random sampling of families all living with T1D), I get the opposite impression.

Not that we'd stop doing anything we now do to be prepared, but it's reassuring if that makes sense. I don't want dd or anyone in our family living in fear of the severe low - just prepared to deal with it should it occur.

15. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My endo says local paramedics will give IV bolus of D50- no line required, just an IV injection.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think they would put in a lock first, I don't think they would inject right into the vein

17. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I think the fact that, as a group, CWD parents test a whole lot more and a lot of us CGM, may skew the results somewhat. But it's good to see that our tighter management possibly does result in less serious lows..

18. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I'm just shy of 18 years in, and have never used glucagon.
    There was one day in the winter this past year though that I ended up in the ER because I had some kind of GI virus or something with blood sugars that I couldn't get out of the 40 - 65 range... finally got it up to 90, but knew I would drop again, so I drove myself to the ER, waited for the low to happen, and checked myself in... because I was SO viciously nauseated from the virus, I just couldn't bring myself to try glucagon for the first time since I was afraid it would make me puke and then I'd feel even worse than I was already feeling... they did an IV for hydration and anti-emetics (THANK YOU IV ZOFRAN!!), and ended up giving me an amp of D50 when I was apparently REALLY dropping since that amp of D50 only brought me from 60-ish to like 140...

19. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

4 years in September...only used once at home on Dr.'s advice when severe diarrhea prevented carbs from impacting his lows. So freaked out...didn't know at the time this could happen. Worked well...was worried he'd vomit afterward, but that didn't happen.

20. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Used it once when Steven had a stomach bug and couldnt stop vomiting. Endo said to use it if his BG got under 60, it was at 52 and he couldnt keep any carbs down. Gave him a half dose per endo's instructions and he quickly went up to 166. He did vomit again but started feeling better after that and was able to take in carbs. He's had d for over 8 years now and this happened approx 3 years ago.