- advertisement -

Glucagon poll

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jul 25, 2012.

?

Glucagon poll

Poll closed Jul 25, 2013.
  1. Never used, less that 5 years in

56 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Never used, more than 5 year in

44 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Used at home during illness

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Used at home for sudden low ( not ill) -day

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Used at home for sudden low (not ill) - night

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Used at school by nurse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Used at school by someone other than nurse

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Used elsewhere - ie, emt

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Never used but should have been - school

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. Never used but should have been - home

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, try this again...
    Please only respond if you have been at this for over a year.

Please read all the options, I did give folks the chance to enter more than one reply, and yes, I know that it's throughly unscientific but still might be informative.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Oooh I see I was first! Almost 6 years and never had to use it. Knock wood...............

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Almost 5 years in, and never had to use it. I don't think we've ever been close.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

6 years in and never. We've had lows...and low lows...but never needed Glucagon.

5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Though I never gave Marissa glucagon in 17 years or so, I think she has given herself a mini dose either once or twice in the last 2 years, when she was ill.

6. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Well that was tricky...
    I used it once on a week long school camp.. :cwds:

8. MelStan

MelStan Member

We were 7 yrs in before we had to use it (7 o'clock in the morning).

9. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

never used - three years

Never had to use a glucagon - thank goodness - with my five year old. We are three years in.

Always keep them around though - you never know -

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Knock wood, not yet

7 years in and haven't had to yet. Almost had to about 2 months ago when she was very low when sleeping and we couldn't rouse her (very combative and disoriented. Didn't help this was all happening in a hotel). We were able to get gel in and get her up and moving. In hindsight I probably should have/could have used it.

One thing our endo always states is NEVER, EVER hesitate to use it. Be it for illness or you can't get control of the situation. She basically has said while it's scary to think about, we shouldn't be scared to have to use it. It's another, very helpful tool in the diabetes toolbox.

11. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Have had to use it 4 times twice when I woke up and he was seizing in bed on bg was 48 and one was 32 I believe once after a dentist appointment he was falling asleep in the back seat checked him and his bg was 34 and he would not eat or drink clamped his mouth shut and crying and very irrational. Last but not least I got called up to his school one Day after school to pick him up because the teacher was concerned he was tired got there and asked what his bg was she hadn't checked it :eek: it was 43 I think. Right after I took it he started seizing. I carried him to the office and gave him glucagon. Thankfully though we haven't had to give it in 3 years and now with the Dexcom we hope to never need it again!

12. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Used it once during a nasty stomach bug last year - pulled it out in Walmart last week when I thought he was going to pass out on me (he was 1.7 (30mg)) but he held on.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Good points.:cwds:

14. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We havent used it yet but we are a little over a yr in. I know my SIL has used it on my BIL a few times she also keeps a jar of honey on thier nightstand

15. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Thing is, I used it on my type 2 dad one night, not on matt. Freaked me out. even them, we also had the ambulance out, and they started giving glucose IV and it still took forever to get him up. the worst part of this, I went into his room to wake him up for supper. I thought he stroked out on me, but ken grabbed the meter as well as the blood pressure and 02 sensor. If this would have happened a few hours later, nobody would have checked him till the next morning. :(

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

We've used it lots now. Night time lows are the most common but we've used it at home during the day, in the car on holiday, even mini-dosed him in the hospital to keep his sugars up as we were waiting for surgery.

I suspect we use it more than most but hope that's not a reflection of our standard of care, more an example of YDMV. He is still very small so subject to large fluctuations, his food digestion and absorption is hard to predict and sometimes we get it wrong, and as he has no pancreas he has never produced any glucagon himself.

But probably the most common reason is that we feed him through a tube when he is asleep and bolus to cover this feed. If he turns over and kinks the line (or we forget to take the clamp off the line:rolleyes:) then the pressure from the feeding pump builds up and a side port to the feeding tube pops open and the entire feed ends up in the mattress:eek:.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  17. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I've used it twice in 3 and a half years.

Mini-doses during an illness when she was on MDI. I'm certain this kept her out of the hospital.

The second time was the day after pump start. She couldn't keep anything down & I couldn't get her BG up. I gave her the mini-dose and then headed to the ER. So many new variables were in place that day that I was happy to be at the children's hospital getting help from them.

18. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

[QUOTE=Cookie Monster;808677

But probably the most common reason is that we feed him through a tube when he is asleep and bolus to cover this feed. If he turns over and kinks the line (or we forget to take the clamp off the line:rolleyes:) then the pressure from the feeding pump builds up and a side port to the feeding tube pops open and the entire feed ends up in the mattress:eek:.[/QUOTE

I am a private duty pediatric nurse and always tape the side port ( med.port.) closed at night with medical Tape to prevent it being opened accidentally. This will also make sure the pump alarms if the feeding is cut off for some reason I E if it is not unclamped or if a child kinks the line etc also will prevent them from opening up the port. Just remember it is very important to remove tape and open up the port to clean it when clean the gt ext. hope this helps.

19. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I voted never used, more than five years in.
    I also voted never used but should have, home, because my endo had suggested using glucagon for lows that happened during pancreatitis flare ups of pain, because I can't tolerate (or really digest) food right then. And I had a nasty low in the 30s not that long after my conversation with him, and I didn't think to use glucagon.

20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Good thread.

One of the first things our endo said was that if you go into her room in the morning and she's in the crib and doesn't wake up, don't even test her, give her glucagon ASAP.

We all practice with the old kits, we've never had to use it but three times I've had it out and mixed when we had super fast crashes and vomiting.