- advertisement -

Glucagon or Glycogen?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooz

sooz Approved members

You seem bent on derailing my thread Christopher. I was asking a serious question and thankfully I received an answer to it in the midst of your posts. I think I will look elsewhere when I want to know if something is reasonable or not, but thank you for the offer.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not at all. Hey, it is your thread, I am just following your lead. :cwds:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just a recap:D

No, glucagon (the hormone) and glycogen are not interchangeable terms.

Glucagon (the emergency kit for lows) is used in Canada. Made by Lilly.

Some parts of the world use Glucagen (emergency kit made by Novo Nordisk).

:p

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

I don't wish to post my opinion of you here. Let's just say, once again we can agree to disagree.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Since you are a fan of PM's, I am wondering why you chose to post this question here instead of perhaps PM'ing one of the Canadians from that post? Are you trying to humiliate the OP from that thread?

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thank you, that is really definitive and helpful.

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Not at all. I don't know why you think I am a "fan" of pm's. I deliberately did not ask this question in another thread. I wanted to try to understand something. Are you saying now when we want the answer to a question it is better to send a pm about it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of this board, sharing information?

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't have just asked it in that thread or sent a PM to someone who might know the answer. You were clearly not a fan of the OP in that post and it just seems suspect that you would be that interested in knowing about this to have to start a new thread. But as I said earlier, to each their own and I'm happy you received the reply you were desperately seeking.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

I was not desperately seeking anything, I was just asking what I thought was a decent question. I did not post it in that thread because I had already made my last post there. I was trying to help give crucial information in the other thread, as were others and it was not being heard, it is not a case of not being a "fan." I am sorry my question seems "suspect" to you. It was an honest question. I am not accustomed to sending pm's to ask questions and did not know that is what I should have done. Thank you for pointing out that option.

10. sweetmom

sweetmom Approved members

This is very interesting. I had no idea that Lily and Novo Nordisk used different names for the kit. I had to go look at what we had, when I read this thread. Lo and behold, I have an orange kit from Novo (GlucaGen) and a red kit from Lily (Glucagon). Seems you can get either one in Canada. This may explain why my drug plan would not cover the first one we were prescribed (GlucaGen), but had no problem paying when I got a script for Glucagon. Not sure why only the Lily product would be covered though.

11. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

This. FWIW, both brands are available in the US as well. Glucagon is in a red box, Glucagen is in an orange box. They are both just brands of the hormone glucagon.

Glucagon is a hormone normal produced by the pancreas that tells the liver to break down glycogen into glucose. Glycogen is basically a molecule made up of many glucose molecules branched together.

12. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Huh, I have to say thanks for posting the question Sooz. We had a severe low episode at school last year where the health aid kept saying she was going to give dd glycogen, and I was relatively irritated - first that she was trying to give glucagon when dd indicated needing help with drinking juice, and second because she was mixing terminology. Turns out we have orange Glucagen kits and I never noticed. I simply was not aware that two companies produce glucagon hormone kits, or that Novo's is under a different name. (Lilly must have been first to be able to use the actual hormone name) I always wondered why all the literature at the school district instructs staff to locate the red kit when ours was orange. So, now I have some rather important info and can provide the school staff with a clarification that I wasn't aware of, and wouldn't have been without this thread.

Personally, I love when questions are asked globally rather than privately. It often turns out more people wanted to the same info, or ended up with info they were glad for. Besides, if everyone asked their questions via pm, wouldn't the forum die out eventually?

13. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Now i know why my nephew had an orange kit and Ashleigh had the red! His was glucagen and Ashleighs' was glucagon. Learn something new all the time :)

14. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I had no idea there were 2 kits either...I just checked our kit - we have always called it Glucagon, the D team and pharmacy call it Glucagon but what do you know? It's in an orange case and says Glucogen on the back!:cwds:

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

One important thing to remember is to advise anyone who will come into contact with your child that this medication be it in a red box named Glacagon or an orange box and Glucagen, both have the same purpose, but be familiar with where the kits are located and how to use them. This would be really important in a school setting with multiple kids with diabetes.

16. MomTo4Girls

MomTo4Girls Approved members

We are in Canada and have Glucagon. Never heard of it being called anything else. Ours is made by Lilly.

17. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

What's the price difference between the two?

And OT but I didn't think you could delete a post. ?

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'd like to know the price difference as well, as our copay for the Glucagon is expensive.

You can delete your own posts by hitting "Edit" then delete.

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes, it is extremely easy to delete a post, as Caspi instructed above. You can even have a whole thread deleted, but for that you need to contact the site administrator.

20. sooz

sooz Approved members

Good question. I hope someone who knows the answer will post it here soon. I'm sure we would all be interested in the answer.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.