- advertisement -

Glucagon dry run

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bnmom, Sep 9, 2011.

1. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

2. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

We just did it two weeks ago at school so that both teachers, the assistant head of school and the PE teacher all know how to use it. Yes, found out it wasn't as easy as it seemed. Also, since the needle is longer, I realized I was drawing in air into the syringe instead of the liquid, so the trick is not to insert the entire needle into the vial..just the tip.

I think I will tape a syringe on to the box now.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

in NJ, 911 isn't allowed to administer Glucagon!

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

in most states they don't.

So it still is better to just practice and practice. Set a stop watch and time how long it takes - I know it FEELS like a long time, but it's good to have some reference in your head as to how long it really does take to get everything ready. Hopefully, none of us ever need it. But it's good to be ready and never need it.

edit: I just did it to refresh and it took 1:10 to grab it out of it's "home" in the closet, open it and mix it up.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This made me laugh.:D

It is a good idea to practice. I have a whole bunch of expired Glucagen (our Glucagon version) kits and should really put them to practice on oranges. Thanks for the reminder.

6. Sari

Sari Approved members

SERIOUSLY!! Why the hell not! What would they do, just watch a person die! Last year, no one in Ross' school volunteered to be a Glucagon contact person. Not a single damn person. This year Ross' teacher said she would learn. Now I just have to get over there to teach her (and me!) :eek:

7. lisac

lisac Approved members

This is exactly what our diabetes educator did!!!! Last yr when ours expired, we just threw it away! Won't do that when this one expires