- advertisement -

Give me strength!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Apr 11, 2012.

1. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

We started the pump last Tuesday, and I feel like throwing in the towel today. We had MDI down pat. Now everything is different, even how to handle exercise. Before the change we knew to get him to 180 and he could sip gatorade and he'd drop, but hadn't had a real low in ages. On Easter he felt low while playing soccer and was 35! I almost had a heart attack. We were super conservative with his basals, and have been doing various basal testing for the different time periods to make surethe rates are accurate. Then last night, he went to bed at 140, did our midnight check and he was 400! We corrected but I was a wreck, hoping the factor we used was not going to bring him low( again we were conservative, on shots his correction was 250, now 350). I was up util 3:30, he came down nicely but ugh! We've done two infusion set changes, both of which sucked- i had my to do list out, he was miserable, I had to call medtronic mid change because we couldnt figure out how to get the damn thing to rewind. On the bright side, meals are much simpler now...
    I know many of you had rocky starts and grew to love it, please tell me it will get better.

2. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We'll be pumping in the next few weeks. I think they need a new pumper resort so at least we can all stay together during all of this!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, gosh. It gets so, so, so, so much better. Especially things like site changes and navigating the pump. You'll get so that you can do it one-handed in the middle of the night with a raging head cold. ;)

It is definitely an adjustment from MDI, but in our experience, it makes fitting diabetes into your "normal" life so much easier. Hang in there. For us, the first two weeks were pretty rough, and it took about six weeks before I felt like I could relax again.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Agreed. We seriously considered returning to shots pretty much every day for a month, and still thought about it for a couple of weeks after that. Heck, I seriously considered running the darned thing over with my car a few times!

Now, however, I cannot imagine not having it. The hassle of shots and the constant thinking about whether eating a snack or a second helping is worth the extra shot was draining. Now, we check, button punch, and move on. And don't get me started about how much I enjoy being able to make minute changes--the freedom to bring DS down to a 120 from 150, for example, is priceless.

You'll get there!:cwds:

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

hang in there

Yes - I felt like throwing in the towel too - two years ago. I can now say we are happy pumper and would never return!

We ran highs - and I mean 300-500 when we first started our pump. I can remember thinking that I wanted to switch back to MDI because our numbers were so much better.

But we hung in there and made gradual changes - I would say 4 - 6 weeks to get somewhat normal. Equate it to when you were newly diagnosed - it takes a while to get everything figured out.

Even then, with children, you will continue to make small adjustments while they grow. Hang in there - it is all worth it!

6. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

It gets better and easier!! We started pumping while tapering prednisone and it was catastrophic, one day would be high, the next nothing but lows. Add me working full time and trying to help the day care over the phone with all this going on! I can actually look back and tell you the day I lost my sanity:D

Fast forward 2 years and I can change things as needed half asleep ;)

7. mysweetwill

Thank you all. I appreciate you sharing your experiences, I am feeling better already!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I seriously almost went back to shots several times in the first month of pumping. I am SO glad that I didn't. It's a learning curve, but most people love the pump after a few months. :)

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We DID go back to Lantus and shots the first week because of so many highs and botched infusion insertions! Wouldn't switch for the world 7 weeks later! YOU get better at it...and that makes all the difference! ;)

10. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

The first time we pumped we were told it is like diagnosis all over again. Hang in there it will get better...

but we did go back to MDI after 9 months pumping. Things just never seemed to click, Ben hated site changes, forgot to bolus way too much, wouldn't cooperate for basal testing. I never trusted fully trusted the pump.
    4 years later we are waiting on a new pump.

11. helinut

helinut Approved members

We are starting Monday. Let the chaos begin!!!

12. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

IT WILL GET BETTER. The first few weeks can really be miserable -- with basal rates, adjustments, etc. I needed to calm my nerves after every site change (every two days) in the beginning as I was a nervous wreck and we weren't using any anesthesizing cream yet. So I usually waited 'til she was in deep sleep to do a site change so didn't get much sleep.

Six weeks seem just about right when you get comfortable enough with it, but to be really, really comfortable and get everything sorted out -- might take a tad longer. And, of course, once you get things sorted out, it's time to change basal rates again. :rolleyes:

~K was just laughing on her way back to school today and asked if I remembered how she reacted when her tubing got caught on her chair at school and her site got pulled out.

Anyway, you'll get there. The first super low is really scary... we had a few in the beginning. We're better now. Except now we have more highs :eek:.

Hang in there.

13. NomadIvy

Btw how does he feel about the pump? My fear before ~K went on the pump (we never had a trial ) was that she wouldn't be able to stand it.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Definitely hang in there...the benefits are soooo worth the difficulties you have at the beginning. Just keep reminding yourself that it's only temporary!:cwds:

15. mysweetwill

Thanks Ivy, he seems to like it but hates changing the sites. He has been a champ with the sensor changes until now, but having two insertions is a whole different story. I get why people ditch the sensor for that reason alone. He is actually eating more now too, which is a good thing - he would at times opt not to eat rather than get yet another injection. I think he has gained 2 lbs!

16. NomadIvy

That's great (if he needs to gain weight, that is)! Yes, K doesn't like the sensor. I'll try to convince her again once we move back to the States.