- advertisement -

Girls Only!:Periods

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Emily*, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Emily*

Emily* Approved members

Hey Girls! I was wondering if having diabetes delays your first period {menache**. Like if it takes longer than girls without diabetes to get your period. Please reply!!!!!!!!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think I once read an article saying that girls with diabetes on average start their periods a little later than girls without diabetes, but it wasn't a huge amount later. I got my first period when I was 11, but that was before I got D (at 14).

3. Emily*

Emily* Approved members

Okay! Thanks!! :)

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If you're interested in reading more, this study showed that girls with type 1 have very slightly delayed menarche compared to those without. It also showed that with every 1 point rise in a1C menarche is delayed by an average of 1.3 months.

5. L101418

L101418 Approved members

My younger daughter was dx when she was 10 yrs old and got her period when she was 11.

6. Iqra

Iqra Approved members

I got diabetes before starting my periods, but I wasn't late starting. The only thing I have to worry about is, I find my sugar levels run slightly high on the days leading up to, and the first few days of my period. It has something to do with hormones & balance. Just extra bolusing or starting a temporay basal rate will deal with that issue though!

7. Emily*

Emily* Approved members

Okay, thanks for the information!! Well, I have a really good a1c and sadly in this case haha. :) I want to keep my 6.3 a1c though :)

8. Emily*

Emily* Approved members

Thanks for the information :)

9. Dounuts

Dounuts Approved members

I didn't think that it was affected at all by diabetes but when your Mum started for example my Mum started when she was 12 going on 13 and I started when I was 13 and a half so genetics and just generally when your body is ready.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

was wondering about this. Ashleigh is 13 and will be going into 8th grade and hasn't started yet. Our endo said if she doesn't start by 14 they'll run tests to see what's going on.

11. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Before you think you are already late or something... I started just after I turned 14 and my older sister had just turned 15 when she started. We were both the very last in our groups of friends.

12. type1girl:)

type1girl:) Approved members

I got mine at13. Ive had d since I was nine. My endo ddnt get concerned. He always is concerned about my weight tgough

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I got mine at 13, then it stopped for several months leading up to my diagnosis. After I was diagnosed (I was 14 1/2 then), it came back.

14. EmilyTheDiabetic

EmilyTheDiabetic New Member

I was 12 when I had my first one, I was also diagnosed when I was 12. I dont think it will affect that. :p