- advertisement -

Girls cycle questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kunkfam, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

My daughter is still honeymooning but over the last week she had been running mid 100's to 160. Not really coming down with corrections. She had been sitting around 80-120 prior. Well today she started her first cycle. Go figure! I was just going to up basals tonight but I am curious because I am guessing this is cycle related. What have you noticed pattern wise in your daughters or yourself if your t1d? Been at this over 7 yrs but this part is very new! Lol. TIA!

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm far from an expert but I have noticed that I run high the week before and then I am really sensitive to insulin for food/corrections during my period.

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Personally, I need much more basal insulin when I have mine, but only if I am having cramps (usually for the first day or two) and durring that time I need less insulin for carbs (I think I am not absorbing carbs like I should at that time) but it really is different for everyone. Trial and error will help you figure it out=) and once her cycle is over you can see if she goes back to normal, then you'll know if it was because of her period or just life.

4. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

Thanks girls! I really appreciate it! She just got done with cheer practice and said everything went black and she couldn't see. She felt terrible but it was just a fast drop(140 to 70 in 20 min). I'm sure it's going to take a few months to figure all of this out. Not looking forward to it!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We tend to need a +10-20% basal rate all around about 5 days before and for the first few days then back down to the regular rate. Though some months the need is far more pronounced. It is not always so obvious that we need to switch basal patterns. :wink:

6. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

It was about 5 days ago that I started noticing the need for more insulin. I guess I just wait and see what the next few days bring. Hopefully things go smoothly and her still honeymooning helps out some. She really hasn't been that high just higher than she has been and higher than I like.