- advertisement -

Girls are growing up way too fast

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MomOf2Boys-J.C., May 18, 2009.

1. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

But boys wear pants that don't cover their buts,(waist is at the knee) we called them plumber pants in my day, but of course they were tight, not so loose then................:rolleyes::D

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

So right, it IS possible. I've been raised in mid-calf and longer skirts all my life and when I got past a certain age, 3/4 and long sleeves. And I still dress that way at 16-almost-17. So it IS possible to find stuff. Although with all of us that dress this way shopping is like a sport LOL :cool:.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

So, so glad my girls are all grown up! They all had to wear uniforms to school too.!

4. shekov

shekov Approved members

I agree that this is a parent's responsibility to be sure children are dressed appropriately.

My daughter can choose her clothing within my specific guidelines.

You should see what she comes up with sometimes!:rolleyes:;):p

5. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

When I read posts like these, it makes be *glad* that we're here in Ghana where the kids wear uniforms to school, and (mostly) "normal" clothes when they're not. We don't have the kind of exposure that you all have, and that's good. I know, given the chance, Alex would be one of those daring girls with skimpy shorts and stuff, because she is exceptionally immodest. :eek: No, I mean, exceptionally. :eek: Now that she's 8, we're pulling out a lot of the "Ladies don't do that, ladies don't sit like that, ladies don't wear that..." lines. She does love to dress up sweetly, don't get me wrong, but give her the chance to bare it all, and her clothes will be a puddle at her feet. :eek:

On the flip side, I've got a teen boy, who's big on what we call the Otto-Pfister look (pants hanging low). He's forbidden from wearing that "look" anywhere but inside this house. Really, who needs to see that?! :D

6. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Lands End and LL Bean shopper here. No "butt writing" either. No tshirts with attitude problems, either. Children are at their parents mercy for clothes until they are old enough to shop for themselves. Our school is a public school, no short shorts or spaghetti straps allowed or parents bring in replacements. Sometimes I wonder what parents are thinking when I see what their children wear. What are the buyers for Walmart and JCPenney thinking when next season clothes are coming in? They obviously don't have daughters!

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

:D:D
    ohhh...don't give me that sisterbeth ;), you know those Catholic school uniforms are ripe for waistband rolling. LOL I'm yelled at a younger friend of my daughter the other day because she was trying to be "cool" and rolled her skirt..just a bit too high. :eek: We have a rule - 2 rolls - (I'm not going to fight that battle) . which lands about 2" above the knee...quite long stll. Luckily, the trend at her school (and allowed) is that the girls mostly wear the boys uniform pants. sweet. baggie huge khakis. I'm ok with that.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

It is possible to dress your daughter modestly but it takes a lot more work. My daughter is just now moving from the preteen sizes to jr sizes. What I found is that now I have to watch not only the shortness of the shorts but they barely cover her rear at the top -- the pants were cut so low it was ridiculous! It takes a lot more time trying on, etc. to find one or two acceptable pairs of pants!!

I have allowed some makeup for special occassions, etc. because it's not as much as issue for me as what she wears! Fortunately, she has some very good role models from my college nieces who have never gone the "slutty" route which really helps.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Love it!

Try having TWIN girls!

10. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

"Please forgive me for my daily rant of pull up your pants" Amen ;)

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Thank you. This is absolutely the parents fault. I do not let my daughter out of the house unless I have seen that her clothes are appropriate. I got several pairs of "bermuda" and longer shorts at Target a couple of weeks ago. There is no reason for short shorts. I also hate seeing bra straps, but these days, the girls are into 2-3 layers so at least we know they are covered.

I am in the midst of arguments with my 12-year-old who needs to wear a bra now and would rather just wear multiple layered shirts, one having a little bit of a built in - but its not enough.

No makeup on my 12-year-old. Sorry

12. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

My 12 yr old daughter was never a girly girl so for years we buy her pants and shorts in the boys department! It works out great to pass down to Chris - since they are boy clothes to begin with!:)

13. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Uuuh, yeah. "My money, you wear what I buy you. Start bringging in a paycheck and we'll discuss." The answer is so simple.

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just wondering what the mom wears?

Yeah, that stuff about uniforms, and rolling the waistbands...BDTD:p

15. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

This is a huge issue at our house. Kylee is 11, but is very big for her age. On occasion we can find bottoms to fit her in the girls section(they are usually plus size) but tops are much harder. My husband was so frustrated with the clothing selection a few years ago, he swore he was going to buy Kylee boys clothes, which of course made her cry. I got so tired of trying to find things that weren't skin tight, showed too much skin or were otherwise not appropriate that I started buying her womens smalls and mediums instead. She isnt allowed shorts shorter than her finger tips(Im so glad that bermuda shorts are popular again) and spaghetti straps are only allowed with a wider strapped tanktop under it. Bra straps cant be showing either.

Makeup is another story. She can wear eye glitter and nail polish, but nothing else. Kylee has a friend who has a 14 year old sister who wears makeup. Kylee kept going over there and putting it on as well, eyeliner and the whole bit. We would make her go wash her face as soon as we saw it, and I explained to her why I was so against her sharing makeup. I finally threatened to throw away the glitter and nail polish if I found out she was wearing makeup again and that fixed it. We told her in jr. high she could start wearing some more, but it would be neutral colors and minimal. She also thinks we are horrible because we wont let her dye or highlight her hair.

16. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

JCPenny has some too. They are plaid and I think one hawaiian print. I just bought Kylee 5 pairs.

17. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

[I have both boys and girls...I have seen boys who wear their jeans with the boxers up high and their jeans lower than their butt what is up with that???? My boys dont do this...I would be mortified...it looks horrible!!![/B]

Am I a thread killer??? oh noooooo

18. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

and then if there like my daughter who is so tiny still around the waste that her summer clothes from a few years ago still fit her and she wants to wear them out away from the house that barely cover her booty now

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is a tad off topic, but will make everyone laugh a bit in this situation. When I worked at Disney (I was also on their college program), they had an incredibly strict dress code:

Earings can be no bigger than a penny. They would literally hold a penny to your ear.
    Fingernails can be no longer than a cig. filter. Yep, they held a cig under your nails!
    One ring per finger, unless it was a wedding set.
    Women were NOT allowed to wear pants when attending class, if they wore a suit, the blazer must fall 1 inch below hips, and yes they measured!
    I'd love to whip out my dress code book on some of these kids!

20. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

This is not to to say slutty clothing is good, but it's actually good some kids are attuned to what they look like. They could have been like me, wearing the dumbest, goofiest stuff, and having no idea it was dumb and goofy!