- advertisement -

Getting to Calm: Cool-Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens + Teens

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Ellen, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

It looks intruiging, and just what I need! It's being delivered on Thursday. I'll post my review after I'm done reading it if anyone's interested.

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I'm interested Amy - and look forward to your review. Thanks.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

It is available on Kindle so I downloaded a sample to my IPhone - fyi for those who have Kindle access.

My older one (not D) is going into 8th grade and I think I'm going to need this!:eek::)

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Has anyone read it yet? Is it any good?

6. sassypantz

I have not yet finished the book, but having read the first 4 chapters, here's my initial assessment:

This book is written in a mix of styles--a little "academic" and a little "straight talk" for the lay person. I have found it mostly easy to understand--every now and then I have re-read sections because I tend to space out when the subject matter gets too dry. But it's worth it to put in the effort because the information inside is quite useful.

There is a detailed explanation of what is going on biologically in the "pubescent brain", which I've found extremely helpful in understanding WHY they think (or simply DON'T think) the way they do. I've understood for a long time that at this age, they tend to be very self-centered and impulsive, but I never really understood WHY. The book is further broken down into chapters about specific situations:
    --When Your Sweet Child Morphs into a Sassy Teen
    --When Smart Teens Do Really Dumb Things
    --When Your Trustworthy Teen Pulls a Fast One
    --When You and Your Spouse Disagree
    --When Your Teen Is Acting Like a Spoiled Brat
    --When You're Worried You're Losing Your Teen
    --When They're Screaming at You-or Not Talking at All
    --When Teens Are Mean
    --When Your Teen Wants to Be Wired All the Time
    --When Your Teen Is "Going Out"
    --When You Need to Talk About Sex
    --When You're Fighting About Grades
    --When You Catch Your Teen Drinking or Smoking
    --When Everyone is Completely Stressed Out

Each chapter has a sample conversation that points out underlying intentions/tactics being used successfully or unsuccessfully, followed by a recap of why certain things help or hurt the direction of the situation.

So far, what I've gleaned from the content is a better understanding of why these typical situations happen, along with some useful suggestions that will hopefully help me avoid the usual pitfalls that drag everyone down into a yelling match or power struggle, and to fully understand the reasons why it's so important to avoid becoming overly emotional in the face of extremely bad or dangerous behavior.

This book is written thoroughly enough that even those who don't normally take advice from self-help books (or those who don't tend to think very academically about their relationships) can glean some useful information that has potential to improve the emotional atmosphere at home.

7. sassypantz