- advertisement -

Getting over growth spurts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danismom79, Mar 23, 2009.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Does anyone notice that when a growth spurt is over, insulin needs stay where they are? Or do they go back down some? Starting in December, I was chasing a spurt for a few weeks, then the insulin stayed where it was for a while. Last month I was chasing again. This time, I caught up faster, but now it seems to be over (?) and I'm reducing the Levemir little by little - in the morning and at night.

My daughter went from about 25 TDD to 30 in a few weeks the first time. The 2nd time she went up to about 40. Now it's back in the mid-30s. She's 10, and I think she's nearing puberty soon. It's still freezing up here, so it can't be the weather.

2. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I have to increase Charlie's insulin during the growth spurt but then it usually goes back down to what it was prior. Since he went on the pump in Jan. he has had 3 spurts. It's been crazy. I'm going broke buying him new pants, lol.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

All I have to say is thank goodness capri season is just around the corner. Abby grows an average of 1 inch every 3 months!

As for insulin needs, for her it goes up and stays with maybe only one basal pattern going back to the original. YDMV.

4. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Our endo has told us more than once that the basal rates stay up after a growth spurt, but ours go back down to where they were. Ditto YDMV.

5. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillips usually either stay at the increased levels, or they'll only come back down slightly. Never all the way back down.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

This is what I'm seeing. I'd expect it to stay up some, to account for a bigger child.