- advertisement -

Getting Dexcom CGM!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, May 14, 2014.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Had a great endo visit yesterday! DD's A1C dropped (and now I am wondering if some or most of last year's upward creep was attributable to the Freestyle strips) and the endo was really enthusiastic about getting a CGM, and particularly the Dexcom (most patients in the office use Medtronic pumps and the Medtronic CGM).

I have a lot to learn about the day to day handling of it, but am very excited (even though a part of me is dreading seeing post-meal spikes) as is DD.

Any recommended reading on using CGM? (I am sure I would have glossed over CGM details in the usual references...). I am sure that later in the summer I will have tons of questions re: how to handle in school setting too.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It is nothing like a pump start or even a MM cgm start. I'd poke around YouTube for some insertion tips videos but that's really all. Insert it, snap in the transmitter ( that takes a bit more force than you might think) and push the "start" button on the receiver. It's just that easy '-)

Mine has the soft, fabric dexcom case from Tallygear. It's attached to a lanyard she picked from an Etsy shop - it lives in her jeans pocket, in her backpack, hanging off a doorknob or the back of a chair. In 16 months she's only misplaced it once and the case would appear to offer pretty good protection from drops and dings.

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

It is so easy. I think I had it up and running within 15 minutes of it arriving. You probably want to have tape on hand because a lot of people do need to tape it from day 1. I like opsite flexifix but hypafix is another popular tape. Amazon tends to be the cheapest for the tapes.

I use the cloth/spandex like material tallygear case and it is great. They have new silicone cases that look nice and are on sale right now to. Also, don't hesitate to call dexcom with any questions. They are amazingly helpful. Usually it makes the most sense to just leave your phone number when you call and they usually get back to you within 15-20 minutes.

Good luck! I'm sure you will love it. I can't really express how thankful I am to have the dex, it is just an incredible tool.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

Watch the videos on the Dexcom site. It goes exactly like that, super easy. We use Tincture of Benzoin compound to prep the area and rarely need tape. We love our Dex, it's life changing!

6. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

I *sparkly heart* love Diabetic Danica. She has awesome T1D videos. When we got our Dexcom, my son and I watched her Dexcom insertion video twice then he was ready to go!

7. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

We got our dexcom at the end of the year and I think it came with a disc that had a video on how to insert it. I was nervous the first time but it was actually easier then I thought. Now it only takes a few seconds to get one on. We love the dexcom!

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I essentially acquired our Dexcom on my own. (The only thing our endo did was sign a piece of paper; on some other threads here I mentioned that I believe she "accidentally" signed off in the process of signing a bunch of papers on her desk that needed her signature. My belief is based on the fact that our Comprehensive Diabetes Center has a surprisingly negative 'tude about CGMs. I honestly believe they have no idea we are using our Dexcom). Regarding training, we did it all on our own with the help of the on-line Quick Start. (Couldn't get the training disc to work). I am still surprised at how easy it was to get started and how quickly we got the hang of it. At the two-week mark, my daughter and I feel like old pros and my daughter says that her Dexcom feels like it has always been a part of her body.

9. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

The Dex does come with a disk, but the video on it was not stoppable/rewindable etc..... like something you see on YouTube. The first time you are doing an insertion, being able to pause at a given step was really important. You are nervous. Your child is nervous etc.... So having the ability to rewind and see it again without having to start from the absolute beginning of the insertion section is important the first time (IMO).

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thank you all so much. I will definitely check out the YouTube videos and look at having a few skin preps and tape on hand.

11. kvnc

kvnc Approved members

This was our experience. My daughter was diagnosed at the end of Feb. An overnight low scared us and we ordered the CGM the very next day. I imagine at her appt next month we'll be discussing pumps (3 months since diagnosis). She has been wearing it about a month. It was much easier than I thought it would be to insert.