- advertisement -

Getting annoyed with my daughter's nurse

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

A germaphobe who is a nurse, and a school nurse at that. Well, that's one for the books!

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would be starting with the 1:1 and then look at tapering that down pretty quickly as everyone became comfortable with the situation. :cwds:

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Yes, we will be. the nurse also knew taking the position that it wasn't going to be a career ;) lol

4. Caysie98

Caysie98 Approved members

My third grade teacher was kind of like that. She was just trying to be helpful, but it was kind of annoying. She walked with me around the school a couple of times with a bottle of water because my blood sugar was high.

Yeah, by the time I got to middle school I only went to the nurse if my blood sugar was 400+, I ran out of insulin during school, or I was low and couldn't get back up for some reason.

5. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

How old is this nurse? Is she doing this because she's retired or because she can't get a job using her master's degree to its fullest? I can't imagine her pay being better in the school than in a health care setting!

6. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

No, she had a good job that she left to take this one. I'm sure, even though its a pay cut, it's still good money considering she has to just follow a 4 yr old around all day. I think it's every nurse's dream job lol. Well, ones that dont like action. shes probably about 60?

7. Lizzy731

Ok maybe she's trying to take it easy before retirement. Health care is getting worse and worse. I used to be in the healthcare field as a social worker and then on the clerical side. I got out because it got too stressful!

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Think about it. If money isn't the biggest thing, it has got to be the worlds cushiest job. Being a 1:1 to a nice kid, great hours, great vacations. All and all, not a bad gig, boring as hell, but not a bad gig.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  9. Lizzy731

This is true...all B's 1:1 aides love her and never want to leave the position. She has has 1:1's since K and she is in 4th grade now. This most likely will be the last year. It IS a cushy job...especially now since she's doing everything herself now!

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I'm chiming in late so I'm not going to even bother finding posts to quotes.

Just want to say that I wouldn't care at all if the school nurses/aides put on gloves to check the kids. It's blood, and it isn't theirs, so I can completely see why they wouldn't want to be exposed to it. I wouldn't even think of it as odd if I saw it, nor would my kids - it's no different than we see at the doc's. My kids self-check so it isn't even an issue, but if the nurse had to step in, I say they should feel perfectly free to glove up.

As to having an aide instead of a nurse...my daughter is in 4th grade. She still has an aide. I have no issue or guilt. For 2 years, it was an actual RN. The school posted the job, she was way over-qualified but the pay was decent enough and she got to work school hours, which was great for her home life. When she wasn't doing medical stuff, she assisted in the classroom, handled booboos and sprains and bug bites and bloody noses for the building. She was always on the go and her opportunities to be bored were few and far between.

For us, the kids have primary teachers, math aides, reading aides, classroom volunteers, 1:1 aides for kids with other physical or developmental issues, etc. Kids in her room happen to have a nurse, too. If a nurse showed up in 6th grade and started following a kid around, people would probably notice. If a nurse is there from kindergarten on and helps everyone, it is perfectly normal to the kids. It's not like the kids whisper, "Oh, look! That girl has diabetes and that nurse keeps her alive!!" to one another. According to the kids (who I just asked), no one has ever asked about the nurse. Kids that have known them "forever" ask about the pumps on an annoyingly every day basis, but the nurse is a non-issue. I think my kids would just be thrilled if the other kids could remember the words "diabetes" and "pump" from day to day. :p