- advertisement -

Getting a little nervous

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Treysmom, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

http://www.local12.com/content/weather/story.aspx?content_id=06005034-cb0b-425c-93e2-b8f9e546b120

John Gumm a metorologist worked at a New Orleans tv station up until the night before Katrina hit our area. When he speaks I listen. Of course this is just models he is talking about. But it still makes me nervous. Next week could be a crazy week for Florida and the Gulf Coast states.

We were without power for 2 weeks after Katrina in MS, some even longer. If it were not for D I would not be so worried. I just don't want to lose all of our supplies. We do have a generator but it was next to impossible to find gas after Katrina.

Thanks for reading my little worry. :eek:

2. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

Ruh Ro - I hope he is INCORRECT!!!

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Just to be safe I would go fill a bunch of gas cans. I would rather be prepared and have nothing happen than be unprepared and have something like that happen :eek: I hope he is wrong!

4. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Me too, I hope they are wrong!! But like Nicole said, go and get the extra gas now, so just in case you'll be prepared.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Gas up, stock up. Have the grab and go box ready to go and we'll pray you won't!

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

i hope he's wrong too!!! get prepared just in case.

7. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Oh it will come to Florida now, my hubby has to go out of town next week and it is the first week of school for us. A sure sign!!! Yikes, this will be a first hurricane season with D for us.

8. Java

Java Approved members

What did you do about D when Katrina hit?. I think I would just freak if something like that ever happen since my son now has D. How did you keep insulin cold? Did you have enough food etc...???? :eek::eek:

9. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

cooler trick for the desperate

talking about how to keep insulin cold in case of power failure- I read (maybe in Ragnar Hanas type 1 book) that in India in places where no refrigeration is available they float their insulin in a box placed in an earthernware jug half filled with water. they are able to keep insulin cool for a month or more.
    that sounds better than my cooler....
    nope, it didnt say what type of box

10. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Here in Ghana, in order to keep things cold without refrigeration, they use a round brown terra cotta pot with a lid, you know the kind that looks like the old fashioned flower pot... it's the same concept as the chilled wine cooler thingees, you soak the pot in water and then keep it in the shade or floating in a larger body of water (large bowl, tub, etc.)

I feel horrible for you guys, it was about 10 days ago that we got hit by a terrible rain storm, lasted all day with several inches of rain and lots of flooding. I told DH, hope this doesn't turn into a hurricane for our friends in the U.S., but because we're on the west coast of Africa, it seems that is what it may have done. :(