- advertisement -

Get a dog that helps control your lows?! Sounds good to me lol.

Discussion in 'Teens' started by ilovethumper, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ilovethumper

ilovethumper Approved members

Hello All,
    I have just recently come across an article on the internet that I found very interesting about several organizations that train service dogs to recognize a scent given of by a diabetic when there blood sugar levels drop to a below normal level. I think this is just the cooles idea :) and have gone to every website that I could get google to show me on the topic. I havent been able to locate a way to get one of these dogs though for one of two reasons, either the organization is to far away and only services a specific area or they charge a large fee for the dog that I simply cannot afford to pay, though I would love too. Does anyone have any idea as to what they do to train these dogs? I have been wanting to adopt a dog lately anyway, this sounds like a very neat project. I read that they do it using sweat/breath samples (the scent) from a person with low blood sugar. I am still unsure of how that would work exactly. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on such a thing? Also, what breed of dog would you think most appropriate? I believe it would need to have a good sense of smell, be intelligent, and be able to be taken out in public (much like a seeing eye dog) so it would have to be trainable & obiedient and friendly to strangers and other animals.
    Any replies would be very much appreciated!
    -- Katie

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

With CGMSs that show your blood sugars in real time, I don't really see the point of having a hypo alert dog, which can only detect lows. It sounds like fun I guess, but I think I would get soon get sick of having a dog following me around everywhere, people staring, and ignorant people who would tell me "dogs aren't allowed here" etc.
    I'm sure I'd have to explain myself a million times to people at shopping malls etc, who'd refuse to let my dog enter. Geez, I've heard about blind people with guide dogs that get discriminated against, I can't imagine what it'd be like trying to explain that this was my diabetes service dog.
    I'm turning 18 soon, so I will be pubbing and clubbing :D and I certainly can't have a dog with me!

I've heard of some kids here in Australia with hypo alert dogs, and they've been banned from taking them to school :rolleyes::mad: And they cost a lot of money.

But each to their own! I'm sure its good for some people, but definitely not for me!

3. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

Hey guys! I am getting a dog on Febuary 3rd!:)

I am getting it through Heaven Scent paws! to learn more about it, go to my web site, www.gr8ful1.org , or go to www.HeavenScentPaws.com .

they cost up to 35,000 dollars to train. but we only have to help with 6,000! WE were trying to get a CGMS but with our insurance it was looking impossible. so we started looking into these dogs! If i raise my money than i will go to MO for 3 weeks to learn about my dog! It will respond to low and high blood sugars. The fine for not letting a service dog in a store would be as much as not letting someone of a different race in!

If you have any questions please ask me!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  4. MomofConor

MomofConor Approved members

That is wonderful news! I read the website and it looks like a great idea. Good for you! When will you actually get the dog?

5. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

(if i raise the 6,000) i will go to MO and get it on Febuary 3rd. it is a 3 week training program but the cost of the hotel is covered in the original 6,000! I am so excited about it!!!!

i guess it is an oppinionated thing but, i might be more excited to have a dog with me all the time than knowing when i am low or high. sometimes i am just done having diabetes but nobody can understand me. i can tell people that, but to them that is like saying i am done washing the dishes. they dont understand that i will never be done having diabetes like they can be done with the dishes. they can never understand what i go throu. but my dog, sences my bloodsugars just like i do! he is always with me. It is like having a best friend that acctually understands.

A big discussion in my house is "what if i go low when i am driving alone"???? It wouldbe terrible if i was low, driving alone, and didn't know it. that won't be a problem. my dog will be with me and will keep me safe.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007