- advertisement -

Georgia Governor proposes cutting school nurse budget of $30 million

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GaPeach, Jan 20, 2009.

1. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

All Georiga residents:
    Please call, email, write your state senator and representative today!

Here is a link to find your representative: http://www.legis.state.ga.us/

Is there medicine for school nurses?
    By Laura Diamond | Monday, January 19, 2009, 09:56 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Gov. Sonny Perdue’s budget for next year would cut the $30 million currently used for school nurses.

Many education watchers say they were expecting the school nurse money to go away one day. The funding had come from a tobacco settlement that state leaders have long said wouldn’t last forever.

The state money helped local school systems offset the cost of school nurses. Districts that relied heavily on this money will likely go without any nurses. The Georgia Association of School Nurses has promised to fight the cuts.

School nurses aren’t the only ones to see cuts. The governor’s budget includes cuts in basic education funding. If the changes are approved, Democrats say public education will have lost about $2 billion in austerity cuts since 2003.

It’ll be interesting to hear what state schools Superintendent Kathy Cox has to say about the budget. She has declined to say much, explaining she’s waiting until she testifies on the budget later this week.

How concerned are you about the cut in school nurses? What would you eliminate to keep nurses in schools?

Great video featuring a Type 1 student: http://www.wsbtv.com/video/18515100/index.html

2. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

We are going through massive cuts in our district too. I am just waiting for the announcement of nurses being cut!!!!! It is terrible!!!

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

But why are we specifically concerned about this? We have discussed on this board time and time again that we don't NEED nurses, just people willing to be trained.

4. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

I agree Nancy. I watched the video and how worried the parents were about what they would do with their daughter. Pull her out of school? I believe non-medical personnel can be trained and be as affective as a school nurse. Don't get me wrong, a school nurse in every building would be ideal but with the economy and limited school budgets, we must do whatever is necessary to ensure our children are safe in school. Whether it is a school nurse or trained school staff, our children have the right to go to school and be medically safe.

5. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

That was our family being interviewed. Who is going to be trained to do this? Is it going to be someone different every year. We have great control at school because our nurse knows how to take care of child. It took a good year for her to realize how much food to give her to raise her blood sugar and when to give her the correct amount of insulin. If someone every year has to be trained to take care of my child we are going to lose the great control we have. If they do train someone who would be responsable for my child the whole time she is elementary then that is fine, but will she be able to give the glucagon it need be. I have the right to be upset that our nurse is being removed from the school and also question if we should continue to send her to that school

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My main concern with having a nurse pulled out of school is consisitency. Yes, they would have a trained person to perform what is neccessary, but what if that person is out. Use a backup. But how well versed is the backup? Will they shadow the authorized person to get the hang of things, or just jump in that day and wing it?

A solid reasonable and responsible plan needs to be presented.

7. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

what trained persons are gonna do it? That would be nurses. All the teachers I see don't want to be bothered with extra stuff. I WANT OUR NURSE TO STAY. My child is 5 , if The nurse is there I don't worry so much when she is out for something I worry . Because of past things that have happened with people that said they would do it . then they say oh he looked fine so I didn't check him , she did not feel like !! and when I picked him up I check him and he was at 40 . They don't want to learn , they don't want to be educated, No one wants to do crap , There should be a nurse in every school. Parents sure take advantage of Nurses. Its one of those things you don't know how good it is . till its gone.. I am not letting it go with out one hell of a fight.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Tracey ,
    I thought you did a good job last night. My first thought is how can they remove nurses from our schools around us? There are usually about 5 diabetes per school. Years ago they told me before they put nurses in schools that my son could not go there because they considered the insulin pump and injection and only licensed nurses could do that because of a Cobb County Rule. That also was the case for the glucogon. Until they put a nurse in and replaced a clinic worker they would not allow him to go. As far as I know Cobb hasn't changed there rules allowing non licensed people to give injections. How are they going to get around that??

9. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Carol
    Thank you very much. I am very concerned what is going to happen next year if we lose the nurses and I will do my part to try and stop it.

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Fayette County School Policy is that only a licensed nurse can administer injections and glucagon.

Melissa is on the pump, so at least boluses and corrections would be okay.

We finally have a 504 in place. They did agree to train a couple of non-medical staff to treat lows. Even that consession was difficult to get.

I am in the process of pushing for others to be trained in glucagon administration.

There are 22 schools in the system. I do not know the current D population. There is only Melissa at the elementary, but 6 at middle school across the street and 10 at the high school next door. Fortunately, every school in the district currently has a nurse.

On top of D care, the school nurses take care of asthma breathing treatments, catheters, tube feeding, epilepsy, childhood cancer (chemo nausea), heart issues, severe allergies, MRSA outbreaks, Lice, and so much more - not just bandaids and boo-boos.

We have a wonderful nurse. I cannot imagine a day without her!

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

This is so true