- advertisement -

Genetics: Will Your Child with Type 1 Have Children With Type 1?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd did not almost make it thru her DX, about as severe DKA as she could have been. I do beleive that this is why she had NO honeymoon what so ever. But we are coming up on 8 years in exactly 6 weeks and knock on wood she is pretty darn healthy, we do wonder if she will be DX with other conditions down the line, cause she does show slight signs of possible other autimmune diorders, but I do not beleive that that is related to the DKA but rather the fact that she is auto-immune.

I would be interested to see if there is a study that shows lower levels of C-peptide with increase DKA severity, if that sort of thing is actuall out there. I still think thow that it is not the DKA persay, but rather the individuals auto-immune responce.

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If it makes you feel any better...Seth didn't have any noticeable honeymoon either and he was dx'd early. His BG was in the 300's at dx'd.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh didn't have a honeymoon either. She had a bs of 410 at diagnosis and A1C of 15.2%. No ketones at dx, though. Not even trace.

4. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Well, my apologies, I actually meant to say "greatER" the difference is subtle, but it is a distinction that is important. I see in the other thread, some research has been pointed out to you to support what I meant to say.

5. greenpalm

FWIW as one more data point. Eleanor also did not have a honeymoon according to the official definition of insulin requirements of less than 0.5 U/kg/day.

It's also worth noting that the onset of her dx was extremely precipitous. We absolutely did not notice symptoms until 1 week before she was diagnosed. We've gone back and reviewed specific events that we can remember. A Valentine's Day Party. Girl Scout Cookie Walkabout Day. Things where we were together as a family, during which, if she'd been extra thirsty, or making extra bathroom trips we would have been able to look back and in hindsight say, "oh yeah, now I remember that she was doing those things"

But she wasn't. She showed zero symptoms until a week before she was diagnosed, and then it was only the increasing lethargy. We didn't even notice the thirst and bathroom trips until 24 hours before she went to the hospital.

I believe it hit her very very quickly. Her A1C at dx was 11.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

My T1 daughter is 6 and does not want to have kids. The reason she does not want t have kids?

She will have to get a shot!

I had to get a shot of Rhogam with each pregnancy because of my husband's blood type. So she thinks she will have to get a shot while pregnant too.

She will take an extra shot for a snack any day...but for a baby..no way!:eek:

I know someday she will have to think about these stats and I hope they don't deter her from having a baby. When I got engaged my dad asked me if I was sure I wanted to marry and have kids with someone who also have type 1 on their side. I know that both sets of grandparents felt guilty when my daughter was diagnosed. I wouldn't do anything differently.

7. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

This was us, too. The doctors kept asking when we noticed he was drinking a lot more. Our answer was Wednesday. He was admitted to PICU Friday. It happened very very quickly in our case as well. He was fine Sunday and could barely walk Friday. His A1C was 12.5 and his sugar was 654 when he was admitted to the ER.

8. greenpalm

Yes, and with Eleanor, she had a virus the weekend before, so she had a high fever one weekend, and was lethargic the following week. Well, I was hardly suspicious about her being lethargic since she'd been sick. What finally got me suspicious was that she started getting worse instead of better as the week wore on. Her energy level was decreasing instead of increasing.

I have a hunch that the virus probably kicked her immune system into high gear and that's what finished off enough of her Beta cells to push her into symptomatic diabetes. That's why it seemed to hit her so fast. Her doctor says she must have had some high blood sugars for a while or she would not have had an A1C of 11, but probably that virus is why she didn't really have a honeymoon. Whatever honeymoon she would have had, she probably had before she was diagnosed.

9. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Christopher's "trigger" was a stomach bug. He rarely gets sick, so our doctor missed it on Wednesday and the school nurse missed it all week.

Both of them said that Chris presented with every single symptom and they kicked themselves for missing the diagnosis. Luckily the ER diagnosed him immediately.

10. greenpalm

It gets missed all the time. I've read story after story after story. My husband has it. He was diagnosed at 34. I was married to him, I diagnosed him.

His was a much slower onset though, and although he was dxd with type 2 initially, he actually has LADA, but he'd been getting up in the night to make bathroom trips for several weeks. Hers was so much faster.

I think about it now though, looking back. While we were waiting at urgent care that day. Well she didn't get dressed when we left the house, she came in her pajamas, but she grabbed a water bottle, then, we probably went to the bathroom three times just during our wait to see the doctor at urgent care? but I still didn't connect the dots. Even with my husband having it!

The doctor came in and asked me one question, and that's when all the dominoes fell. She asked has she been thirsty, and all of a sudden it clicked and I just knew.