- advertisement -

generic synthroid help

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sam1nat2, Sep 3, 2010.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

anyone take the generic synthroid mgf by Lannett?
    If so, what is the number imprinted on your pill?

I just now read the description on the side of the bottle of my pills and it says purple pill and I swear it looks blue:eek: Yes, I feel off, my hair is falling out like crazy and I need to go get thyroid checked.

I didn't know if all of them had the same number on them

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Do you have Hypothyroid?

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I think it's supposed to read 563 for the "purple" one, but I agree from looking online, it does look more blue, more like a periwinkle color. I have some generic 175mcg levothyroxine (they are oblong/oval shaped) and they are VERY purple.. so is brand name synthroid (which are round, and say synthroid on them).

150mcg are light/baby blue, and 137mcg are bright turquoise.

BTW, definitely get your levels checked. I've been on everything from 125mcg to 200mcg over the past year. I am currently mildly hypo on 150mcg, but I'd rather be where I am than go hyper again. Once a week I take a 175mcg pill instead of the 150. I currently take brand name at the urging of my endo, since we can't seem to get my dosage ironed out - she says there is less guesswork this way.

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Did your endo write the script for the generic? Or did the pharamacy just substitute it? If it was the second, be careful. My endo told me to always be sure I got synthroid and do not let the pharamacy substitute for generic because it would affect my levels. I would call your endo.

5. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

i was told generic is the same as synthroid but your right different manufacturers can affect the dose of levothroxin...and that is why generic can be bad. If you check with your pharmacy and ask if they always use the same drug company for levothroxin.

i would get your level checked too, I was told anything under 3 is good but my dr rec under 1 is better for most...so recheck those numbers with your endo.