- advertisement -

Generation 4 Dexcom FDA approved

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Oct 8, 2012.

1. timsma

timsma Approved members

I talked with both dexcom and our supplier today and yesterday about the gen 4. Dexcom said to buy a new transmitter out of pocket will be 799.00. But they are working with all insurance companies right now to get them on board with the fact that the transmitter is only good for 6 months so they expect all will cover it by the time anyone reaches that point. We have to go thru Edgepark for our supplies, so I asked when they would be able to actually ship one to me considering our warranty is up as of October 29th. As soon as they get insurance coverage (which is only a matter of his endo writing a pre auth at this point) then they will be able to ship it out, so for our timing, we should have it no later than the 2nd week of November. I thought of doing the upgrade for the 399.00 before warranty is up and then letting insurance buy one for us as well after warranty, but decided against it.

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Actually, think about the old cozmo which was the same size as the MM and only slightly thicker when the meter was attached, and THAT fit in a pocket. So picture throwing a meter on the back of the minimed or animas pump. So there's no real good reason why the omnipod's PDM needs to be that large. It could fit in a pocket. It should.

but I'm with you - my son carries a backpack or some other 'thing' with him all the time and placing the new dex in his backpack would be a piece of cake. Right now his meter is always in his backpack.

This is simply one of the reasons why we went with MM rather than the Nav or Dex. There were just too many items to carry around and like others said, each child's tolerance for what they carry is different.

But the 25 foot might be a game changer for us too. It makes it that much more palatable to a kid who doesn't want to carry more than one device.

3. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

I was basically told this same thing, I'm always skeptical about "getting insurance companies on board" with new things, but here's hoping Dexcom can get it done!

4. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

On the conference call Wednesday with Dexcom officials, they said they'd get insurance approval for two transmitters per year. So, they'd send one out to use and then when the alert comes that it's nearing the end of its life, you would call Dex and they would send out the 2nd transmitter (whether its already pre-approved through insurance or you pay the $799 for it).

I wrote up an update at the DiabetesMine Storify account yesterday following the call, which complimented the blog we put together later on Monday with some details.

I'm waiting on my call back from Dex, after calling on Tuesday to get G4 run through insurance to see what the out-of-pocket cost overall will be for me. I expect it to be covered, but will likely wait until after Jan. 1 so that I can use my reset flex account for at least some of that. Can't wait!!

And yes... I may very well be switching from my traditional black color to diabetes blue!!!

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm pretty bummed and don't have the energy to call Dexcom right now but they sent me an entire new kit in mid-August to fix what they diagnosed as a battery issue with the old transmitter. Come to find out it was the sensors and not the transmitter that was the problem but I was out of warranty and insurance picks up 90% so I didn't complain and now ....

But before I call I need to know one thing ... can you set the low alarm above 100?

6. mocha

mocha Approved members

I was reading through this thread again, trying get all the information in one place and I reread...

So...I'm gathering that if I don't switch over by, I'm going to have to in January and then pay for the whole thing, rather than the upgrade price?

Am I reading this correctly?

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I had just called yesterday and got a call back from Dexcom before 24 hours was even up. They seem to not need anymore documentation for the new system, so it will be shipped hopefully early Nov. The first ones to get shipped will be to people without a working system at the end of Oct. Next will be the people that have working systems but are out of warranty. That is us. Melissa is so excited for the hot pink! I'm excited for the range and not to have to have the separate alarm hopefully!

8. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

The Rep I spoke to said that they will be doing the $399 upgrade through December...and then for the new year it does go to the full price.

ETA: Mary, the gal I talked said similar things in regards to shipping, although, she thought the second shipment would be those in warranty, but paying for the upgrade. I guess we'll see LOL!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Makes more sense to do it the way she explained to me though. We are out of warranty and insurance will be paying full price. That is a lot more than the $399, and those people would still get a new one if theirs failed. I have a feeling that there are a bunch of people working overtime though.

10. dianas

dianas Approved members

This is my understanding also when I talked to them. I think out of warranty are considered similar to those who don't have a cgms because they are at risk for their system failing. Not to mention that they get full payment as Mary noted.

I'm getting a Dexcom Gen4 and I was told my order would be filled on a first come first served basis timed from when they received everything they needed from the Dr and insurance. My current system is 2 1/2 years old and showing signs of failing though.

11. Danielle2008

I don't think I explained that well. New orders(new customers and those out of warranty going through insurance) will go first. However, between the IN warranty users...the ones that are upgrading for Free, compared to those paying for the upgrade...she felt the paying upgrades would be second. Does that make morse sense?

If you are getting approval through insurance because you are out of warranty, you are considered a new order.

12. mocha

mocha Approved members

Okay, so I called for clarification:

The upgrade offer does expire in December, but they are continuing to make the 7+ sensors for those who chose not to upgrade to the g4. They are just no longer offering new 7+ systems.

So, if you don't want to upgrade (want to wait, want insurance to foot the bill, just don't like change, etc.) there should be no concern about getting the sensors for the 7+ (at least for now).

13. Dan

Dan Approved members

Click Here to see a link to a photo showing the dimensions of the receiver. Looks much smaller than original receiver. They also told me that it is only 2.4 oz

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

And they told me yesterday they had already stopped making the 7+ sensors but had a large supply on hand which should last through the end of this year. She said several times that this supply was intended to last until people had time to upgrade to the new version over the next few months. Who knows!

15. Dan

Dan Approved members

So what will happen to those in warranty but not getting the FREE upgrade? I hope they would continue to make the sensors and not force everyone to upgrade before insurance will pay for the system. I am out of warranty and my Insurance pays 80% of the cost. My out of pocket is $206 for 1 transmitter and 1 reciever and 4 sensors are $63. TOTAL COST $269.

My understanding is that the $399 upgrade is only for the reciever and 1 transmitters and no sensors. If they are not making 7+ sensors after December I would upgrade now.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  16. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Dan thanks for the info. What about the sensor same size or different?

17. Dan

Dan Approved members

I have not seen anything on differences between the sensor. I was told by a DexCom rep that the insertion process was the same and that the transmitter was more rounded. Not sure about the size.

18. Dan

Dan Approved members

I had a sensor failure today, after getting a new one shipped out I decided to ask the rep a few questions. This person was a T1 and had been using the G4 since April.

Here are my questions with her answers in RED

1. How long will 7+ sensors be available? Final date has not been confirmed but I was told that it would be at least until Sept 2013. We need to support our current customer base.

2. How large are the new transmitters? The footprint of the sensor and transmitter are about the same as the 7+, however the transmitter is a little taller. Reason is to accommodate a larger battery for extra range.

3. Have you noticed a difference in accuracy, frequency of ??? and sensor failures? The system is a lot more accurate. First day can still be off a little but after that it is DEAD ON. Sensor failures and ??? are much less frequent. In fact since April I think I have only had 2 sensors with ???.

4. How many transmitters are shipped and do they die at 6 months? You will get one with original order, then at 6 months request the second. The transmitter starts count down after you activate it and like the 7+ it could last more than 6 months. Approximately 10 days before it is going to die your receiver will notify you.

5. How is the sensor inserted? The process of insertion is the same as the 7+, In fact the insertion needle is the same size however, the part that stays behind is about half the size. It is also more like a spring meaning that you will see fewer bent wires when you remove the old sensors.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  19. Danielle2008

Great information, Dan. Thank you for posting.

In regards to the sensor...the lady I spoke with said the introducer needle is the same, but the sensor itself IS smaller. Not sure how much, or why the needle is the same size, if that is true.

With the accuracy...I hope that is true! My Dex is already pretty accurate for me, most of the time. So something even MORE accurate is great. In fact, if I check my BG and it seems more off from the Dex, I usually recheck my BG, and it ends up more inline with the Dex(I hate that 20% variation...too many times you test, and get 30 or more difference between the two numbers)

I am also looking forward to the longer range...my Dex loses me at times, even within the 5 ft distance...drives me nuts.

20. Dan

Dan Approved members

Yep I forgot to add that point about the insertion and needles. We also spoke about that. I updated that above as point 5.