- advertisement -

Game recommendations for Xbox and Wii for teen boys

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ecs1516, Dec 16, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We already have consoles for both. We have Call of Duty 3 on the Wii. He likes that a lot. They also have Call of Duty ones for the Xbox. Any new ones worth having?
    Some ways they like the Call of Duty on the Wii because of the controller.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I really like Call of Duty: Ghosts for the xBox One and it's also available for the 360.

It does have some language but it's not nearly as much as Battlefield 4. Man, that game is just chock full of language and I stopped my son from playing it.

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

Portal and Portal 2 are awesome games. I recommend these for everyone. Portal is on the Orange Box, which comes with Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2.

Portal and Portal 2 are First Person (same perspective as Call of Duty) puzzles. You have a homicidal robot that is running experiments. If you've heard "The cake is a lie", that's from Portal.

I've also really enjoyed Left 4 Dead and L4D2 (although these have a fair amount of language...and a fair amount of gore). These are first person shooter (same perspective as Call of Duty) games where your goal is to get from point A to point B and survive the zombie hoard. They play like movies, so sections are kinda short.

The Halo series is always a good standby, as is the Gears of War series (which has more gore than Halo, and more swearing, I think...it's been a while...probably about the same amount of gore as any Call of Duty game).

Halo, for the uninitiated, is a first person shooter (again, like Call of Duty) where you play as Master Chief, a Spartan (which is a super genetically modified human meant for war) and you fight aliens who are determined to destroy the universe for religious reasons...and you meet some space zombies along the way. (It's more complicated than that...but I'd be giving away the plot if I explained more!)

Gears of War is about an Earth like planet (Sera) and you're fighting subterranean enemies (who are from your planet) known as Locusts. The Locusts are trying to take over the surface and are killing off the humans. The series focuses on human survival and why the Locusts are attacking. The game play is first person shooter (again) and similar to Halo and Call of Duty.

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City were really good. These are from a third person perspective, but you get to BE BATMAN! How cool is that?!

The Fallout series is also really popular. This is a first person shooter RPG. The games take place after a nuclear fallout. What makes this different from Call of Duty is you focus on skills and abilities of the main character. You can work on a large inventory, focus on making money, etc. It's not just about solving missions, but about exploring the world. You can make decisions that effect the story and game play.

The Fable series is a really good series, but I'd wait for the remake of the first one. These are also a first person RPG. This one takes place in kinda medieval times (and the sequels a bit later...you get muskets). Like Fallout, you focus on character development.

The Bioshock games are also really popular and really good. This is, again, a first person shooter RPG. The first Bioshock takes place in a distopia in the 1960s...underwater. It's about what would happen if we let science progress without morals to interfere. The second one is a sequel to the first, and Bioshock Infinite takes place in the early 1900's and explores alternate universes. These are RPGs, but play very similar to Halo and Call of Duty (in the sense that it's very point A to Point B without side quests to take up all your time).

Skyrim is also incredibly popular. This is a first person RPG that is in a medieval type era (no guns) and you fight DRAGONS! Again, focus on character development and you can get lost in a billion side quests. They say you can never finish it.

For the Wii, I love the Zelda games and the Mario games. On the Wii, there's Skyward Sword for the Zelda games, which is pretty challenging and has a good story. The New Super Mario Bros games are great for playing with friends (you can throw your friends in lava...on accident, I'm sure). There are also the Mario Galaxy games, which are you're standard Mario games.

If you have a Wii U, there's a different Super Mario Bros Wii U game (different from the Wii game...same plot and style, though), and you can download Zelda: Wind Waker for the Wii U. Pikmin 3 is also very popular.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes we have Skyrim I forgot. I will have to look into those Zelda games

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

What I usually do is give them a gift card for the video games and have them rent them first from Redbox to see if they like them. It's amazing how many they have rented that they just didn't like and I'd hate to spend that kind of money only to have them not like a game. Then again, my boys are more sports-oriented with Madden and the NCAA games.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

This is gold advice - assuming you can get the game in question for the console.

You can also buy used games at GameStop and return them within, I think, 14 days.

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

FYI the owner of gamefly.com has a daughter with type 1. She went to D camp with my granddaughter. Super, super family. Very involved in the type 1 world. You can also rent games there.