advertisement

G6 question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Jul 18, 2018.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Hi!

Has anyone used g6 yet?

My 16 year old son has had diabetes since age 7. He’s been using g4 for several years, and we are considering upgrading to g6. Is it shipping out yet? For those, if any, who have used it, what are the main advantages of the new system? He’s interested in the ‘no calibration’ feature, but we would be sad to lose the longer sensor life we’ve been getting with g4. Is there an improved algorithm? Also he doesn’t have a phone, so would be using the receiver. Is the newer one ok? Is it durable? I know practically nothing about it (i let him do most of the research, haha). Do you think it’s worth it to give up longer sensor life for the other improvements?

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated!

Thank you!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi,
    I was told by a Dexcom rep that the next time we ordered a new transmitter we would get the G6. That will be in about a month. But I think they are shipping now.

As to the advantages, I think they are: not having to calibrate, an easier sensor inserter that can be done with one touch, a smaller transmitter with a lower "profile" (read not as bulky), and acetaminophen blocking, meaning that medication will not effect the readings.

I think we will give it a try, but it will be hard to not have the longer time between sensor changes.

rgcainmd likes this.
  3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Thank you, Christopher! :)

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I haven't been here in a LONG time. I guess Facebook has taken the place of message boards for me. Anyway - hope all of you are well. We have G6. So far, my daughter (15) has been really happy with it.

Insertion is quick (though not painless for her as others have reported), she loves not calibrating and she rarely if ever tests anymore, the low profile means it hasn't snagged on anything (arm wearer) and the adhesive sticks to her much better than the g5 adhesive. We (she) doesn't mind the 10 day shut off because we could never get the G5's to stick much longer than a week anyway so we were never able to stock up to save on sensors.

Just waiting for Tandem's Basal IQ rollout now!

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

6. Christopher

7. Christopher

Have you tried GrifGrips or something similar? It really helps the sensor to stay in place longer. Just a thought.

8. Christopher

We just got the G6 yesterday and I was really excited to try it. The setup was super easy, she was shocked at how easy and painless the sensor insertion was and the low profile of the new transmitter is also great. So far so good!

rgcainmd likes this.
  9. swellman

swellman Approved members

We have the 3 month supply of sensors, two transmitters and the upgrade code. We are waiting until we go through the 2 boxes of G5 sensors and/or the transmitter.

Anyone using an Andriod phone on the G6? The documentation alludes to a completely silent phone when set to Do Not Disturb. That's the main reason my son doesn't use the phone app - school interruptions.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Just received my daughter’s G6 in the mail yesterday. Despite the fact that we’ve been loyal Dexcom users since a few weeks after my daughter’s diagnosis in 2014, I still plan on reading the G6 manual in its entirety (I’m one of those people) before firing up her first G6 tomorrow evening.

Her final G5 transmitter died recently, and we have some (between 2 and 8; I’ll have to check our tower o’ D-supplies after work for an accurate count) G5 sensors remaining that are obviously useless to us now without a G5 transmitter. Would anyone like these perfectly good G5 sensors, free of charge? If so, PM me, and (if we have more than 2 unused sensors) I will divvy them up and forward them on to the first 2 to 3 responders.

When we were using the G4/G5, we always restarted at the 7-day mark, and would routinely get 2 to 7 weeks use out of each sensor. As such, the 10-day lifespan of the G6 sensors is going to be a significant hit to our budget. Has anyone been successful in their efforts to re-start G6 sensors?

11. MomofSweetOne

I posted a link on another thread of how someone figured out how to do it.

rgcainmd likes this.
  12. Christopher

"Tower o' D-supplies" :D:D:D:D:D:D

Check out this link on how to beat the 10 day lifespan:

http://seemycgm.com/2018/06/11/restarting-g6-sensors-and-transmitter/

rgcainmd likes this.
  13. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Thank you so much, MomofSweetOne and Christopher, for posting this link (and the accompanying YouTube video for Option 1.) I’m so relieved to hear that you can get away with using the G6 receiver only for restarts if you choose to use your smartphone as the receiver!

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My kid says the insertion is a BIG improvement, likes the lower profile of the transmitter, and appreciates the acetaminophen block. Still doesn't totally trust the no calibration feature, and hasn't had a sensor yet that made it to 10 days w/o an adhesive failure. Has also had a ridiculous number of "Sensor Error" messages, all at inconvenient times (bed, work). Enough that I suspect we have a bad lot.

15. Christopher

Has she tried Grifgrips or a similar type of alternative adhesive solution? Danielle uses them on every sensor and they work really well.

As for the Sensor Errors, if you are getting that many I would think Dexcom would be able to send you a new batch for free. They are pretty good about dealing with issues like that.

rgcainmd likes this.
  16. MomofSweetOne

For G6, Dexcom has free (ha) tapes to go over the sensors if you ask for them. They're probably figuring free overtape costs them less than replacing so many sensors that aren't sticking.

It's the tech services option you need to ask for, if I remember right. Good news is when I called last week the hold time dropped from 45 minutes to 5 minutes. :)