- advertisement -

G5 Shipping Late September. Not terrible.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

From what I understand, for those with the Share receiver, there is a software update that will be done once you have the new transmitters. The cost of upgrading to the new transmitters varies based on when you purchased yours. You will now receive 2 transmitters every 6 months.

In our instance, since our Share receiver took a swim in the washing machine and we're back to using the non-Share receiver, I'm holding out until December when we're eligible for a new receiver through insurance. I'm just hoping our transmitter holds out until then. I'm happy I didn't purchase a new transmitter like I usually do when the transmitter's 6 months were up. We just put this one on in May (purchased in December) so I'm crossing my fingers it lasts, lol.

3. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

Will it be the same device for pediatric and adult now and it will have the same algorithm software?

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Sounds like it will be the same device for everyone over age 2.

I'm glad the g5 came out now, before we ordered. I've been waiting for the new dr. To call (any day now!) so we can get this ball rolling! :) plus now we don't need to wait for tslim integration.

5. kail

kail Approved members

We got our dexcom in Feb 2015 and then automatically got the share upgrade when it came out around April. I don't have any idea how long these stay on warrantly or how often insurance typically allows a new one. I suppose that would vary by insurance? Is it typical to get a new one as soon as your time is up just to have a spare rather than wait until a problem?

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We just got the word today we are approved for a new Dexcom (after so many insurance issues -- it's been 3 months). Now I guess our timing is bad :( do you think we'll be able to get the new one soon?? Will they automatically upgrade? I'd love to get an extra transmitter. Does 2 every 6 months mean you get them both at once?

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's my understanding that they have a death expiration at a certain number of days, unlike the current transmitters. I'm glad to have a back-up of the current one while we watch and see what happens with insurance and sending them out for others. With the way the current ones have died within 24 hours, I don't want to not have a back-up waiting since my daughter doesn't wake to lows. If this puts us without CGM coverage for even a night, it will be a huge, negative step backwards in management for us.

We're also concerned about how quickly my daughter's phone goes dead with blue-tooth running. I'm not sure this is the exciting news yet many make it to be. There are lots of advantages to the stand-alone Share receiver.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

3 month shut off NOT good for self funders.. :(

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I wonder how that would work if they're sending out 2 at a time? Interesting.

10. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

There are some concerning things about this, the 3-month transmitter life being one of them.

From what a Dexcom rep tells me: Yes, there's a 90-day transmitter wear on the G5. It will have a built-in 18-day grace period before it actually dies on day 108, to allow for time to obtain a new transmitter and/or put that on.

Still very concerning for me, since I like having the ability to have a backup on hand.

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Glad to hear there's a grace period, at least. When does the count down start, though? When it's removed from packaging? I have a G4 transmitter literally shipping to me right now. Perhaps I'll force myself to use that for a few months before letting myself switch so I can have a spare. Or maybe never even open it and make that my spare? At least insurance will get no where questioning why I need a new transmitter every 6 months now (as they ship 2 at a time).

12. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

So it will definitely die on day 108? I was under the impression that g4 transmitters were warrantied for 6 months, but some lasted longer, sometimes up to a year. 90 day transmitter life is very disappointing, especially if it won't allow you to stretch it's lifespan. Does anyone know why they shortened the lifespan? I'm guessing it's an issue with the battery? Or maybe they just want to make more money. :confused: It will raise the cost of cgm, and for us, that is a big deal. :(.

13. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Since the receiver now is optional, you have to wonder if the transmitter every three months is something they needed to protect their cash flow, which is ok because what I want is them doing the work on ever better, less intrusive, sensors.

I say this with alot of inner hope....in a couple of years all of this will all be rather archaic.

Just think in 18 months we went from a share cradle, to a share, to not even needing a receiver. Also during that time the size of the transmitter was reduced, and the adult receiver was graced with a new algorithm that just about can be used to treat without a fingerstick.

here is to the G6 and beyond!!!

(Also I bet someone figures out a way to hack the transmitter.)

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm guessing it's Bluetooth and battery. You do know it's not rechargeable. No need for conspiracy.

15. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

If it were just Bluetooth and battery it wouldn't automatically shut itself off on a specific date ;) There is a timer in there....somewhere. Now it may not last much longer past 3 months, but the technically clever among us will likely slice one open and see what makes it tick.

16. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

In some respects it already feels a bit archaic. I hung out the other day with an adult who dropped the g4 in favor of the Libre full time. He loves it. He showed me his fingers and said its the first time they've been callus free in 25 years. Finger sticks only happen immediately following insertion while it self-calibrates or if he's not wearing for some reason. Designed to stay on for 14 days. Low profile. It's missing alarms but the self calibration aspect is very cool.

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Until you get one thats "off" and then you can't calibrate it back in :(

18. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We trialed the Libre and didn't like the lack of alarms. Her comment was what's the point? It is super small.

19. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Christina: If your transmitter dies, let me know. I think I have at least 2 in the cabinet. I had ordered one in early June and then when I got my new Share receiver in late June, the processed another one. I can help you hobble along until you're out of warranty.

20. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

As a parent of a CWD, or even a CWD, I think I would prefer the Dex because of the constant feed, the alarms and Share. I can definitely see the attraction of the Libre, though. I'd be surprised if 5 years from now Dex is still using sensors that need to be calibrated.