advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G5 Frustration

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Sep 20, 2017.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter started wearing the G5 about 2 weeks ago so that she could have cgm on the x2. She likes having it integrated, but she absolutely hates having it on her phone compared to G4 & Share.

Last night the phone didn't read her for HOURS. The pump did, but she was sick and slept through the alarms. Because the phone wasn't reading her, I also wasn't getting Share alarms. By the time I heard the pump from the next room at 4:45 am, she'd been over 400 for five hours. :mad: The phone didn't read her for NINE hours. As she says, what's the point of wearing a cgm if it doesn't work?

I'm really disappointed that the quality of Dexcom seems to be nose-diving. We were extremely satisfied with G4, but G5 is a dud, at least so far. If it weren't for the integrated pump, we'd be returning it for a G4. I really hope G6 is an improvement, not another step backwards.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

When she opened the app up after noticing it wasn't reading, did it take a second to load? Sometimes the app gets closed and then it will not receive a signal or alarm. The best way to prevent this is to click on the app before going to bed, let it open up and show the graph, and then press the home button on the phone. That will make sure the app is open for the night. This happens to me sometimes to and it is frustrating!

3. ChrisDadT1

ChrisDadT1 Approved members

Is it an iPhone? If so, we had the same problem. Finally discovered it was the iPhone "low power mode" that was causing the problems. Make sure the phone is NOT in low power mode, or the bluetooth will disconnect and will not connect again until the phone power is over 80%. Since we turned that off (permanently), we have had almost perfect connection throughout the nights.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I am happy to hear that this may be a fix. We have put off getting the G5 and stuck with the G4 because of all of the connection issues I have heard of. If my daughter is not transmitting at night then it's useless. I don't have this issue with G4 and for now she doesn't mind carrying a receiver and a phone.

5. MomofSweetOne

Thank you for your suggestions! They have been helpful.

6. MomofSweetOne

I spoke too soon. As of this morning, G5 had not connected with her phone for 1.5 days. She called Dexcom and the person wasn't able to help her. He said he'd have someone call her back, which didn't happen. This afternoon, she tried repairing by scanning the box again. It read her briefly, filled in the back numbers for three hours, and then ceased reading her again.

I'm really, really disappointed in G5. We like the X2 integration and know it will be necessary for LGPS and Type Zero, but not having Share is terrible. We've gone backwards years in quality. We'd never had problems with Dexcom or their customer service until now.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We had major, major connection issues with the G5 that lasted for months. No one at Dexcom was able to resolve them until we dealt with Joe in customer service. I can't remember the exact combination of things that worked, but it has been a huge improvement.

Call and ask for Joe. He was determined to fix it, and he did.

8. ChrisDadT1

ChrisDadT1 Approved members

Been away for a few days. I'm sorry to see that our suggestions did not help. :frown: My son had the same problem for months, but now everything is working beautifully.

What kind of phone does your DD have? Also, exactly what error messages is she getting on her phone?

Here's the errors that we used to get on my DS's Apple 5S:
    "Signal loss"
    "Bluetooth off"
    "Transmitter not found"

It was driving us crazy. We kept calling Dexcom, who told us to try another phone, or contact Apple, etc.

Then one day we called Dexcom and got someone who cared. It was the "transmitter not found" error message that prompted him to research it further. He asked us to upload all the data from the iPhone to the Clarity software, and from the receiver as well. He compared the two, then called us back and said he discovered that every time the "transmitter not found" message appeared, that the iPhone was in low power mode. This mode basically shuts down the bluetooth if the power is less than 80%. Since the Dexcom App does not use continuous bluetooth (it only accesses it once every 5 minutes), when the phone entered low power mode, the App was unable to connect again.

I had assumed it was the "low-power mode" that was the fix for us, but since you are still experiencing issues, I wanted to post all the steps we took over several weeks before everything started working well, just in case one of these (or a combination) is the correct fix:

(1) Deleted all unneeded apps on iPhone, especially games

(2) At nights, made sure all apps were fully closed (Snapchat, Instagram, etc.) and ONLY the Dexcom App is left running.

(3) On Dexcom App on DS iPhone, we went to Settings, then Transmitter Info and looked at the "Activated on" date. We compared that date to the Dexcom receiver's transmitter Activated Date. They did not match! That was one little quirk we noticed when the "transmitter not found" messages appeared - each time the Activated date on the iPhone would change to a different date/time. That is when a different Dexcom rep told us to reinstall the iPhone app, shown next....

(4) We deleted the Dexcom app on my son's iPhone and reinstalled it. This helps make sure you have the most recent version, and also works as a reset for the entire thing. You will need your Dexcom username and password to open the App once it has been reinstalled., but don't worry, your don't have to re-enter all the SHARE info - that is saved in your account. But you do have to go through all the screens to turn it on. Takes about 5 minutes total to uninstall and re-install. After doing this, the transmitter dates matched on the iPhone and the Dexcom Receiver. But we had to reinstall the App about 5 times because the transmitter error kept happening. Until we did the next step...

(5) At the direction of the (caring) Dexcom rep, we turned off the low power mode on the iPhone by opening the "Settings" app, going to the "Battery" panel, and tapping the low power mode button so it turns white (not green). We now keep the low power mode off at all times.

(6) We made sure the phone is within close proximity of our DS at all times.

(7) We made sure there were no other bluetooth devices near the iPhone trying to connect to it, as this might cause intereference

(8) To ensure we are alerted if it disconnects, on the Follow App on our Android phones, we clicked the settings icon, then "Edit", then scrolled all the way down to "No Data Notification", turned it on, set it to notify if the disconnect is more than 30 minutes, put the alarm on "Siren 2", and clicked Save. Make sure you have your volume turned up on your phone. That Siren 2 WILL WAKE YOU UP !!!

(9) Also, we changed the transmitter, because we got a "Transmitter Failed - Replace Transmitter" error message after using it less than 3 weeks. It is very possible that the old transmitter was defective and caused all those problems, and the new transmitter is not defective, therefore no more errors. But, we got those errors for months with other transmitters as well before we applied all the fixes above, so I really don't think it is the transmitter.

(10) One more thing - the last time we paired a new transmitter, we did the pairing and 2 hour warmup ONLY on the Dexcom receiver - not the iPhone. We used to pair both at the same time. After the warmup and calibration, the iPhone paired itself.

Since we've taken all those steps, we have not had ANY disconnect issues. So now it has been about a month of a perfect working Dexcom G5 App and Follow App for us. The only time we've experienced signal losses was when our DS was away from his phone for an extended period (i.e., shower), but once he is near the phone again, it reconnects right away.

I really hope you get this all sorted - it took us almost a year, and we are still keeping our fingers crossed that the issues do not come back again. Let us know if anything that I posted works, or if not, if you were otherwise able to resolve the issues, and how you did it. I hope this LONG post wasn't half as hard to read as it was to type, I apologize if it was. Good luck! :victorious:

9. MomofSweetOne

It's been better the past few days; I hope it lasts. I very much appreciate everyone's posts and will come back and go through every detail carefully if it conks out again.

10. johnyaya

johnyaya Approved members

Some great advice given here. Given how we've all become used to our phones being "do-all" devices, the reality is that the technology is so new and complex, and evolving so fast, that little unintended changes by some random 3rd party app can aid in a communications breakdown. We've found the best thing for stability is to limit the number of apps available on the monitoring phone, and once everything is stable, resist the temptation to update anything, including the OS, unless there's a Dexcom app update as well. Our nightly routine involves leaving the phone plugged in at night, and double checking that the mute is off, sound is up, the app is running and has a current reading.

In addition, whenever we replace a transmitter, we do a little housekeeping and delete the old transmitter from the Bluetooth devices list (under the Bluetooth menu item in the Settings app).

Even when following these steps, things occasionally stop working. Thankfully, we've eliminated enough variables so that now when we have a "signal loss" error, we can usually can resolve the problem by rebooting the phone. During these times, we always have the charged Dexcom receiver handy to help resolve whether it's a transmitter issue, or a phone issue. If the receiver is still reading but the phone isn't, then we've got some fiddling to do with the phone. If the receiver also isn't, then the transmitter may need attention.

I'll add that we use an iPhone 5c as the receiver, and have found it to be fairly reliable. I'd venture to say that some iPhones will be better than others at maintaining a connection, due to hardware differences.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Tandem has told us that you can't connect Dexcom with the phone and the pump at the same time. It messes up the Bluetooth. Could that be an issue?

12. MomofSweetOne

At about day 70, we got a "transmitter error" notice. Things have been much smoother since switching transmitters, so I'm assuming that was a significant part of our frustrations. Thank you so much for all your suggestions!