- advertisement -

G5 and share

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Feb 24, 2016.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Quick question about g5 and share. We currently have g4 and I'm not sure what we should do when his transmitter dies. G5 has had some mixed reviews.

How does share work with the g5? Can he still use the receiver only? He has no phone Or I-device right now. I use one ipad for sharing and following, so I get alarms at night. I have talked about getting him an iPod touch to go with he g5. Are there any huge advantages or disadvantages of using an iPod instead of the receiver?

I won't have to calibrate on my ipad will I? I assume I can still get the feed (follow) from whatever device he is using...right? It doesn't make sense to require every device to calibrate, but I want to make sure before we switch.

I want the advantages of g5, like better accuracy and not having to download to look at his graphs, etc. but I'm not sure about losing the range we have.

Any other thoughts on comparing g4/g5, for those who have used both?

Thanks!

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

It works the same as the G4 as far as sharing/receiver. It just gives you a secondary option of using the phone as a receiver as well. You can do everything on the receiver (calibrate, etc).

I will say that, in our experience, the range of the receiver is not as good as the G4. We have the same receiver as G4 (just used the upgrade code) but once we upgraded, the range decreased substantially - it was constantly going out of range even when it was within the acceptable distance (even just in her purse). However, the phone's connection is great - never drops. As a result, she has basically weaned herself from the receiver even though she thought she wouldn't.

To be honest, as much as we like the G5 for its accuracy, if your son does not have an iphone, I wouldn't upgrade to G5 at this point. I think it would just be frustrating for you. Just my 2 cents.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I would stay with the G4 but maybe get an adult receiver if you want the increased accuracy. The big disadvantage of the G5 (in my opinion) is that the transmitter dies after 3 months as opposed to lasting for at least a year for G4. I switched to the G5 because I wanted to only use my phone as a receiver (which is what I do) but if I wasn't using my phone I would go back to the G4.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Ditto this, I love the G5 because I don't have to carry around an extra "thing" all the time since I almost always have my phone on me, but for a child, if you're not wanting him to have to have and keep track of an iDevice, then staying with the G4 with it's longer transmitter life is the way to go.

Also, worth noting that the G5 receiver does not "share" the same way the G4 does - to share you basically have to be using an iPhone as the receiver, and only those #'s will go to the cloud, and only if that device is "online" - if it's not, that info doesn't seem to get pushed to dexcom's servers from the time period when it was offline (I have a nightscout bridge set up as well, so I have seen these "gaps" in share data happen, even when there are no gaps on my phone, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get that "lost" data to the cloud). You can upload data the G5 receiver using clarity on your desktop, but that isn't helpful for real-time sharing, only data analysis.

5. DDmama

DDmama Approved members

We never used the G4, only G5, so I can't compare. With G5, you can calibrate either on your i-device or on the receiver, you don't have to calibrate on both. We have sometimes had issues with gaps in data sharing. It's sometimes hard to troubleshoot the source of the problem since there are a number of factors, but overall, not a big issue. We are glad to have the receiver as back-up. We think the receiver range is great, but again, we can't compare with the G4. We did decide to get our 8 y/o a phone for sharing and also to be able to communicate with us about all things D. It's a big added expense, but it gives us a little more peace of mind.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The G5 is awesome if you have (or want to have) sharing all the time and the kid has or wants a phone. We do this for our 8 year old and it's a medical device only - browser, camera etc. disabled. So helpful to call him when he's with friends in the neighborhood, gives him some freedom.

The G4 has a much wider range. When we had that I could put his bag in one spot in the house and it would pick him up everywhere in the house and most of the yard. Now he has to have the phone on him. You can share all the time or some of the time, as you do now, with almost any iDevice.

If you choose G4, be sure to have your doc write the Rx for the adult algorithm as the peds algorithm is outdated and slightly less accurate.

7. andiej

andiej Approved members

We've only used the G5, we only use the receiver at night (the receiver doesn't have any share capabilities or it doesn't in the UK) we use it as a just in case device. The other frustrating thing is the functionality in the follow app is far greater than that of the receiver phone. It's a pain when there is no data, like right now he's at school and for some strange reason i've had no data come through for 2 hours now.

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

That's a connectivity issue. If he's getting readings on the phone or receiver but you are not getting them on Follow, it means that he is not connected to the internet. This would be true for G4 with share or with G5. Schools are notorious for crappy networks, not sure why, but we have issues too. We had to bring in a dedicated access point for him. You might look into getting the phone on a cellular network as well if you are having a lot of dropouts at school.

9. DDmama

DDmama Approved members

We think the G5 is awesome for the same reasons.

Can you explain how you disabled everything but Share and the phone? We tried to do so, but the way we did it made it so that he couldn't access Settings, so he couldn't connect to wifi.

Thanks!

10. DDmama

DDmama Approved members

Can you tell more about the dedicated access point? E's elementary school's network isn't great, but the middle school's is much worse. Thanks!

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

As a Follower, I was getting a lot of gaps, too, while my daughter was at school. It was an issue in about 75% of the locations within the school building. No longer a problem when she uses the school's wi-fi.

12. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Go into Settings, the General, and scroll down to Restrictions. Turn on. You'll be prompted to create a password. Remember it! :) Then just slide the toggle for all the apps you want to be inaccessible. Not all of them are there, but internet and camera are and those are the ones most likely to get a kiddo into trouble. Everyone with an iDevice that is near anyone under 18 should have In-App Purchases disabled anyway. :) On the first day my son had this he was desperate to find something to play with and only found the Compass - ha! That lost its allure very quickly and now he completely ignores all but Dexcom app.

You can also go in and make a medical ID in Apple Health (google it), make a Note with care instructions or contact info, and install a locator app to find out where your kid is (we like it to confirm that he's arrived at a friend's house or whatever in fact, once, he was off riding his bike with a friend and started dropping. I called and he did not answer. They were at a playground having a blast and his bag was off to the side. I was able to see where he was and bike over and give him tabs).

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We did this with the help and blessing of our school IT person who was not able to change the settings on the school network which are controlled remotely and district-wide. The wifi network was set up in a stupid way which I don't have the technical expertise to explain but it has to do with multiple access points having the same name but different data protocols or something and "confusing" the phone.

We had an old router in the basement, not cutting edge or anything, just something my mom gave us when she moved, and we set it up as its own wifi network that will only connect to his phone. Plugged it in right to the hardwired ethernet port in the classroom where he spends 99% of his time. No problems since. Funnily, there is no connectivity in the nurse's office so if I see him low and then the signal disappears I know he's there for treatment. :)

14. DDmama

DDmama Approved members

jenm999, thanks for explaining all the technicalities! :eek: Super helpful! That is funny about no service from the nurse's office. At least you feel that's a safe place for him!

Hmmm... we will have to figure out the network thing for middle school when the time comes. I could see digging up 1 extra router, but I don't think we could come up with 8 for all of the different classes! It's still a couple of years away ... I bet by then there will be new awesome technology.