- advertisement -

G4 tape - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We've had a few discussions about tape here but I wanted to ask again.

I inserted a G4 sensor this morning. I pulled the backing off the tape, I pressed the tape firmly down on the back of her arm, rubbed my finger over a couple of times, and then I inserted the sensor. I pulled off the inserter as instructor, I inserted the transmitter, using the shoehorn, and then twisted the shoe horn off. I had prepared some tape prior to the insertion that I could put over the G4 tape - as I turned around to pick up the tape, my daughter put her arm down for a minute, and the tape started to pull off her skin at the top, right beside her arm pit.

What won't the tape stay on? Without overtape, I get about 3 days before it pulls off?

I use Opsite FlexiFit over it, but I don't typically get 2 full weeks out of that, and the transmitter typically pulls the sensor out before the 2 weeks are up. We use exclusively her arms at this point becuase she's not yet willing to try her hips or abdomen.

What would be a recommended adhesive to use BEFORE inserting in hopes of having it stick more? Even Emma commented that the tape started pulling off immediately.

2. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

we use skin tac and others are using Tincture of Benzoin with good results...we also use Hypafix tape...I belong to a dexcom group on FB and lots are seeing issues with the sites not sticking...we are on our first G4 sensor and it does seem to have more issues of staying stuck vs. the 7+....Dexcom is getting a lot of calls on it...could also be an issue that the transmitter is heavier than the 7+...I just hope that if they change things up it doesn't cause an allergic reaction to lots of kiddos..mine included!!

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

Skin Tac might be an option. I've personally had luck with it, and use it when I have sites on my arms. You can even buy it on Amazon.

4. momofone

momofone Approved members

Definitely call it in. It is an issue that a lot of people are having. They will replace the lost sensor, too. The more people who phone, obviously the better.

5. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I've read about the tape issues, but we aren't having any even with the sensor on her thighs and tight jeans going up and down several times a day. I'll put Hypafix on at day 9 or 10 but that's just precautionary. Do you clean well with alcohol before applying? May be a stupid question, but I know some people just make sure the area is clean.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

When I was having trouble getting infusion sets to stick I used opsite under it with Skin Tac under that and stuck the infusion set on top. Then covered it with Opsite coated in skin tac. That could work.

I would also try Hypafix (cheaper on Amazon then paying a copay) and just cutting out a square for the transmitter. I have also tried Mastisol (again cheapest on Amazon) with some success.

I also find I have better luck with things sticking if I do them 6+ hours after taking a shower. It is as if my skin is still wet even if it seems dry.

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I have started using Skin Tac on the back of the tape before applying, letting it get tacky before sticking on. I use tape right away on top of that. Mastisol might be even better, but I am out of that right now.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Something is up with the new sensors. Used to go 7 days and now can't even go one with extra tape. Dexcom said they are getting many calls about it. They wondered if the heavier transmitter is doing it. Such a pain. Make a product better but have others problems now with it.

Wish we had the option of the older smaller transmitter . My son is 15 and does not need the range on the new one.

9. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Don't bother with Opsite, IV3000, Tegaderm, Hypafix, etc.

Some of those tapes are expensive and all of them do not do that great of a job.

Just go to a sporting goods store and get KT Tape, Kinesio Tape, or Rocktape. Basically it is kinesiology tape. It is an elastic cloth style tape that all sorts of athletes use (endurance, tennis, volleyball). In my experience, this works best. It is also easy to find and widely available.

It also wicks out sweat well. I run in 90+ degree weather all the time with a Dexcom G4 and an Omnipod pod both on my abdomen. I apply a pre-cut KT Tape strip vertically (don't apply it horizontally) while standing up to both my omnipod and Dexcom individually. I also make sure when i apply the tape that it is taut (not tight) and it keeps both the Omnipod and the Dex in place no matter what.

I know for sure that the KT Tape comes in pre-cut strips. I get and use the 2" wide version, although it comes in a 3" wide version.

Kinesio tape is the original kinesiology tape and it is made in Japan, just FYI. All of the major brands of kinesiology tape come in a wide array of colors so I would imagine most kids would not mind wearing it. Rocktape comes in patterns.

I don't see a point in applying a special adhesive wipe before putting on a sensor or a infusion set/pod. The second you start sweating the special adhesive wipe becomes futile.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The problem with those tapes is that Emma doesn't want any more attention called to her than necessary. The Opsite is clear and basically doesn't call any more attention to her than the transmitter does. We can get it high enough on her arm that its under most short sleeve shirts.

We had problems with the Dex 7 tape too - just not quite as many. It lasted about 5 days before almost pulling loose. Funny thing is that we don't have a problem with pump sites - when we pull them off she complains that they are still sticking tight, but the CGM tape just doesn't want to stay.

11. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I don't know if this would help but this worked for me before I discovered kinesiology tape.

I used Mitchum anti-perspirant roll-on deodorant.

This is probably what I would do if I were you.

1. Create a pattern and cut a piece of Opsite so that the transmitter is not covered/the tape goes around the transmitter. (This will make the tape more likely to stay in place, if you do not cover the transmitter)

2. Wipe a large area of the arm with alcohol swabs.

3. Wait for it to dry.

4. Insert sensor and apply pressure around the edges sensor's adhesive tape for a few minutes to keep it firmly in place.

5. Apply Mitchum Antiperspirant genorously, while avoiding the sensor tape.

6. Let it dry.

7. Apply Mastisol generously with a q-tip and wait for it to get super sticky. Also apply mastisol over the sensor adhesive tape, and especially along the edges of the adhesive tape.

8. Apply the Opsite tape over the sensor (not including the transmitter).

9. Apply Mastisol with a q-tip around the edges of the Opsite to keep it super-secure and let it dry.

When it is time to remove the sensor, you WILL need detachol.

Good Luck

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The first one I had to overtape it on all 4 sides by day 3 or 4 and at that point it was nearly falling off.

The second on on her leg I used skin tac on the sensor before I inserted, just around the edges and a piece of overtape across the sensor from top to bottom going past the dexcom adhesive by 1/2 inch. The overtape was more because it was on her leg and pants and tighs would be being pulled up and down, scared that tights would get stuck and rip it off.

This has worked, and just restarted yesterday, hope to make it to 2 weeks this time. the last one made it about 10 days but then it looked like it was getting too lose and Needed it to be on and working for Xmas.