- advertisement -

G4 Sensors And Other Supplies? Need Info PLEASE

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Schleprock, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Schleprock

Schleprock Approved members

I was a member of T1D's - PIF on Facebook for giving away extra supplies and also requests for items. I have no idea what happened but the group has just disappeared!:blue:

I am literally exhausted and in tears because I was looking for some G4 sensors for my son, who is now ill, and his bg is fluctuating so much that I am constantly having to check him which is using up all of our strips makin us low because our insurance just plain sucks!

Please, does anyone know of another group/site with other T1's who help each other out like this?

I just feel so desperate because without a pay it forward grouplike this a lot of us will suffer with a decrease in quality of care and life!:blue:

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Personally I hesitant to give away supplies my insistence had paid for even if we had extra. Are you without insurance? Have you tried calling Dexcom?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Have you contacted your team? I'd explain your situation and see if they could possibly get some to you, it would be quicker than waiting for some to ship. They may have some on hand they could give you. I would also call Dexcom and see if they have some type of program that can help you get them at a reduced price.
    I think you will find it hard to get sensors as most insurance companies don't fill a large supply due to expirary dates being fairly short. Stockpiling them is hard. I know we only have 6 on hand at the moment, that will only allow us one fail or fall off before our next shipment.

Can you get insurance just for your son through the state? Like a healthy kids program?

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Good suggestions, many of which were also given to the OP back in September of last year. They also had similar issues back in 2010. Hopefully the OP will heed the good advice they keep getting here.

7. Schleprock

Not sure what this means?? What are you asking?

8. Schleprock

Not hopeful, I called themonce before when we had no insurance and they said they can not give out supplies. They aren't the most helpful endo practice I have dealt with.

9. Schleprock

Our insurance was covering 1 box per month, but we have to change out at least every 4-5 days because he has super sensitive skin and gets so itchy so fast and they just do not last as long as they do for many others:frown:

10. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

The group T1D-PIF is still there on facebook too, you probably just need to click on the more tab right over to the right of where it says "groups" sometimes facebook doesn't show all the names of all the groups you are in because there's not room, they list them by the number of times you visit the group - T1D PIF might have just been moved over because you visited other groups. Just click on the "more" and it will list all your groups and you can scroll down to find it.

11. Schleprock

The Admin just fixed it for me, she does not know what in the world had happened.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would have your doctor write a letter of medical necessity for change out every 4 days. I'd also ask for an override on strips. It doesn't hurt to try.
    I know it stinks that you don't have the CGM, but at least you still have strips and meter. A group of us were talking the other day at a get together and we agreed it stinks when we don't have a CGM, but we survived before, we will survive now. It just means sleepless nights once again and wondering what's going on.

Again, I strongly encourage you to contact your state regarding healthy programs offered through your state.

13. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have my prescription written for "Change sensor site every 4 days. Dispense 8 sensors." That is for a one month supply but I only fill the prescription as needed. I don't even think I needed my doctor to write a letter of medical necessity. I just told the pharmacy how many sensors I wanted each month and they wrote the prescription and faxed it to my endo for a signature. I use foundation care pharmacy and they are wonderful.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I agree with the other in getting your RX changed to replace sensor twice a week. In the very least you should be able to get strips from your endo even your ped dr might have them.

So many people have new health coverage t=right now I think it might be hard to find someone in a timely manner that can help.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

It is my understanding that Dexcom will replace a sensor that doesn't last the full 7 days. You might want to call them and discuss your issues. Good luck!