- advertisement -

FWIW Gen 2 Pod update

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kunkfam, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I was looking for an update on the smaller pods as it seems like its been a long time! I found this for anyone that is as impatient as I am!

Oppenheimer Reiterates Outperform on Insulet

Posted on 01/11/12 at 8:08am by David Johnson [1]

Oppenheimer maintains its Outpeform rating on Insulet (NASDAQ: PODD [2]) as the company gets closers to approval for its next generation OmniPod.

Oppenheimer notes, "PODD received a phone call last week from the FDA with clarifying Qs on PODD's 11/21 response submission; management's tone suggests the clarifications were not onerous. Meanwhile, the first production line is up and running in China, and finished product is on hand. Assuming approval in the next few months, PODD looks to formally launch its next-generation OmniPod at ADA (June), ramp 3 production lines for total output of 750K-1M pods/month and convert its entire Gen1 installed base by '12-end. As a reminder, Gen2 adds 10-15 points to GM. We should start to see GM benefits visualize after a quarter in launch."

PODD closed at $18.16 a share on Tuesday

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Encouraging news, thanks! And maybe an investment tip too, lol :p..

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Does anyone know whether this means smaller pods or integration with Dexcom? Both? Neither?

4. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I heard from an Omnipod rep that the smaller pods would be coming this year and that a new generation PDM would be released at the same time. He made it sound like the new PDM had to be used with the smaller pods, but I'm not 100% sure that is the case. He did say existing Omnipod owners would automatically be upgraded to the newer PDM. I asked about Dexcom integration and he said that is still far down the road, if they are even going to do it.

Our endo has heard that the new PDM will have some new features including IOB for food and corrections, which was always a sticking point for some.

5. brima

brima Approved members

I saw our rep during a JDRF family retreat 2 weeks ago and asked him about the smaller pods. He said that the FDA came back to them with questions that had nothing to do with the pod "functionality". He said that Insulet answered the questions and now they are just waiting......

About the Dexcom integration, he said that he doesn't see that happening in the near future. He said that the FDA won't approve an integration with none of the pumps until Dexcom is on their 4th generation. They are currently on their 3rd one. He said that there's a few companies already on agreement with Dexcom for the integration, so I guess when it happens it won't be exclusively with the Omnipod.