- advertisement -

Frustrated

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bryantfam, Apr 17, 2012.

1. bryantfam

bryantfam Approved members

Today I am super frustrated and looking for advice!

Our diabetes team only works with medtronic products. I did my own research and went against their advice and chose the animas pump. We are military and move a lot so I decided to choose the pump that was the best for us instead of the best for the endo's office.

We've had the pump for a month. They "may" let us start pumping mid-June but are dragging their feet because no one in the office is "comfortable" starting a child on a non medtronic pump.

Today was our quarterly appointment. I desperately want a cgms but was told they are not used for children. I was told that there are no unexplained highs, ds must be sneaking food. And, my personal favorite, was that we have to change our schedule in order to pump. We are a homeschooling family on a very non traditional schedule. We stay up late and sleep in late. It works for us. CDE said that ds has to get up earlier in the morning because if he eats at noon that counts as lunch even if it is his first meal of the day and she said it is very important for children on a pump to eat breakfast.

Seriously considering going rogue.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I'd be out, like yesterday. One of the top advantages I hear from pumpers is the freedom (we were ok pre-pump as far as that goes). My daughter doesn't even get out of the bed until after noon on the weekends.

3. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We have ordered our pump and are waiting its arrival. Our endo's office does not actually do our training. The pump company actually sends a rep to my house and does a three-four hour training with me. The rep also sets up the pump with the information from the endo's office. I wonder if you could contact the company and have a trainer contact your endo's office to speed things along?

4. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

My son just turned 3 and is on a CGM, so it definitely is used for children. We actually use Medtronics, but a company rep did our training. The endo just gave us a starting point for ratios, basals, etc. So I would assume you could get an Animas rep to do your training. I would be looking for new endos, they don't seem willing to work with you at all

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Whenever the first meal of the day is, we count as breakfast...be it 6 am or 12:30 pm. The first meal has always taken more insulin.

Any chance of finding a new endo? This one seems to be ignoring the beauty of pumping.

6. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

The only problem with going rogue is that you need the doctor to write the prescription for the supplies.

Find a new endo...if possible. I know it isn't that easy sometimes. Many of us drive 2 hours of more to get to any endo, and i know sometimes military situations add some more complications. Good luck.

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Medtronic pays a trainer for each session. Someone in your endo's office is a trainer. They train. They get paid. Our endo office only does Medtronic as well. In my case, since we were only 7 weeks post-diagnosis, I chose to go with the flow and get the MM. It was a great pump, and we developed a great relationship with our rep. Then Jayden got tired of the MM, so we switched to the Omnipod, but we were three years in by then, so after some discussion, the endo signed off on what I wanted. She didn't want to - the nurse actually called me and tried to talk me out of it - but I persisited, and I won.

If Animas is what you decide to stay with, you're going to need a new endo. If you like your endo, then it's likely that the relationship with the endo will win out over the reasons you picked the Ping. Animas might take it back :cwds:.

OR, as another poster said, you can try to deal with Animas directly for training and forget about what the endo's office says about it. If you have the pump in hand and an insulin prescription, you could just start it on your own. It's not ideal, but it is yours, and you can do what you want to with it! Obviously your endo wrote the prescription for the Animas. What if you had transferred in from another practice and were two years into a four year warranty on an Animas? Would your endo still take you as a patient? If so, then they can sure figure out how to do it this way.

Just my thoughts...

For some people, a really positive working relationship with an endo is a primary concern. For others (like myself), although I like our endo just fine, all I really need her for is the prescription writing and blood work.

8. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

One of the reasons for using the pump, for most families, is the flexibility it allows your schedule! I am very lucky that our Endo's office works with any and all pumps. As a Military family are you tied into the base Endo or are you able to choose your provider? If you are able to choose your provider, and you are unhappy with your current Endo ( which it sounds like you are) then I would call around to other Endo offices and request a consultation to find a new one that fits better with your family's goals for your son.

If you have the Animas pump already, they have trainers that will come to your home to train you and whomever else you want trained.

As far as the CGM...our insurance will not cover them for any one under the age of 27. They will allow a 3 day testing for children but, will not allow full coverage. They sent me their guidelines from the FDA citing that there isn't enough research to support the use of CGM's for blood glucose control in children and that the approval in the case of adults is on a case to case basis. No one "gets" a CGM from them withour extensive research into their background blood glucose managment, or so I was told. I would love a CGM for our son too! Our Endo and her CDE have conflicting feelings on them.

9. suz

suz Approved members

Do you have the option of switching endo's? I would be out of there so fast .......

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Will they at least write the prescription for the supplies? Animas sent a trainer directly to our house, totally cut out the middle man.

Do you have the option to find another doctor?

11. DecemberGirls

DecemberGirls New Member

As mentioned before...FIND A NEW DOCTOR if possible. (We had to and now drive almost 2 hrs, but it's worth it.) We also have the Dexcom CGM and it is fantastic for our 7 year old! We have fewer lows because we see the the BG trending down and can prevent them. It's also nice to have the CGM alarm during the night when you are worried about those nighttime lows. (Our first doctor said no to both the CGM and pump. The current doctor was all for the modern technology. You just need to find a doctor that shares your views.) Good luck!

Mom to 7-year-old daughter (DX age 5, Celiac, Animas Ping and Dexcom CGM) and 2-year-old son

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Uhhh, what?!!

This is the biggest line of BS that I've ever heard.... I almost never eat breakfast (I have coffee in the mornings so I'm less of a zombie, but usually no food), and I'm doing just fine.. it's never been a problem for ME.

The notion that you "have" to eat breakfast is silly. I am a huge fan of the mid-morning snack and really late (mid-afternoon) lunch :eek: One of the great things about pumping is that you can tailor it to your needs with very short notice, rather than trying to fit your life around shots.

Contact Animas about training.. explain that your endo is not scheduling training you and see what they say. If you already have your pump, the RX's are in place for supplies, you just need insulin (you may use more rapid than on MDI, but you also might not).

13. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

To add what Sarah said, Sophie isn't a breakfast eater, either. Instead of fighting with her about it, I correct the high if she wakes up higher than we want, but otherwise let her bolus her morning snack at school. It works for us and it's so much better than fighting to get a slice of toast down her throat.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

This sounds similar to the runaround we got when we tried to start pumping with my son's previous endo. They just kept putting us off until "next time" and giving us all sorts of bogus info about pumping. (I had two nieces on the pump at the time, and pretty much knew what was what.) Finally, we had enough and found a new endo, who put him on the pump immediately. He said that some endos just don't want pumping patients because it is more work and time-intensive for the endo.:mad: That incensed me!:mad: And it sounds as if your endo's office is just looking out for it's own needs and comfort rather than your child's. Just like my son's previous endo, they are more interested in what is easier for THEM rather than the best interest of your child. For me, that just was not acceptable. If it is possible for you to find a new endo, I would run for the door.

Good luck.