- advertisement -

? from a parent

Discussion in 'Teens' started by hrtmom3, Feb 22, 2009.

1. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

For those of you who on weekends stay up till wee hours of the morning and sleep in till mid day, do you adjust basals any different for those times? If not, do you notice more lows or highs JUST from the
    sleep pattern change on those days?

Thanks

2. NoName

NoName Approved members

Sleep--- or lack-there-of --- doesn't affect my blood sugar, so no, I don't change anything, now, if those weekends are packed full of activities, or something out of the ordinary, say a party, sports game, anything, yeah, basals change a bit.

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I always get up at 8am and eat breakfast on autopilot, then go back to bed, 'cause that's what works best for me. I sleep in, but if I stay up past 1am I tend to be extremely nauseous the next day.

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I am one of those teens, lol. I don't adjust my basals for the weekends, or school vacations when I am able to sleep in late. I don't usually notice any more lows or highs from sleeping in, and if basals are set correctly, you shouldn't see a low or high from sleeping in. But, as we all know, it doesn't always work out like that. :rolleyes: If you see a pattern forming in your sons BG levels because of sleep pattern changes, then I'd say make a change for those days, but if it's not too drastic, I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm one of those teens, as well. If I'm out DOING something until 3AM (yannow, even something not desperately active, if it's more active than sleeping - which, tbh, most things ARE) I find that I go low more easily. I haven't found the perfect basal rate for that occasion yet, so usually I'll just have a snack if my BG starts drifting down.

As for the next day, my BGs are actually a lot more stable for the entire day if I skip breakfast, and my first meal is 11AM-2PM ish. I don't know why, but I'll take it. Generally I don't eat until 12ish on weekends.

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I have found the earlier I get up, the higher my BG seems to want to be. For instance, I almost never see a dramatic rise in BG during the morning hours. A few weeks ago I got up early around 5, and I watched my BG rise from 115 to 170 the next few hours. I tested to see if it happens often, and I have not seen that rise again.

Good excuse to sleep in late:D:p

I don't seem to have issues staying up late, and getting up later. My basals are the same on the weekdays as they are on the weekends.