- advertisement -

Friends for Life 2008

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The old "CWD Conferences" sticky thread had gotten a bit old, so here's a new thread about the Friends for Life 2008 conference.

To review, the main conference site is at:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2008/

The parents/adult program is online at:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2008/ParentsSchedule.htm

The youth program is online at:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2008/YouthSchedule.htm

The faculty is absolutely amazing:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2008/faculty.htm

Scholarships for families from the US and Canada are available from the Education for CWD Foundation:
    http://www.ecwdf.org/FFL.htm

Scholarships for young adults from the US are also available:
    http://www.ecwdf.org/FFLYoungAdults.htm

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Thanks for posting the FFL info for 2008! It looks like it will be awesome!

3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Man I wish we could get one of these CWD events closer to the middle of the country. Airfare for four to the coasts just make it too expensive.

4. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Me too! We really want to go. How about Adventureland in Iowa ;)

5. jendean

jendean Approved members

Or Minneapolis or Kansas City? Mall of america is close. :)

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Anyone know if it's true that the FFL hotel is sold out, as I heard it was? And that bookings are now to an overflow hotel near by?

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I called yesterday to make a hotel reservation and they told me the only nights available are the night before and the first night of the conference - July 22 and 23. All the rest of the nights are all gone :-(. Any chance of procuring more rooms in the CWD block?

8. dqmomof3

Update...I now have a reservation for July 22-25, and then for July 26-27. There aren't currently any rooms available for July 25th! They said keep calling back, so I'll keep calling back to see if one becomes available.

9. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

I believe they are using an overflow hotel. Jeff or Laura can get you that information.

10. dqmomof3

I got a room for all the nights, at the main hotel! Thank you Laura!!!

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Wow! At the end of February I had to book the overflow hotel Residence Inn. Way to stick with it and get the main hotel! I can see rooms becoming available - we're still not committed for sure, but I didn't want to not have a room should we go.

12. dqmomof3

Now I just have to figure out airfare :).

I hope you can come, Laurie! I have enjoyed your posts and would love to meet you in person!

13. dqmomof3

Airfare is purchased!

OK, we just purchased our plane tickets, so we are all set for Orlando!

Woo hoo!

14. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

You can try a place called Tropical Palms. They rent cottages that sleep from 4-12 and its minutes from Disney They have great prices and great ammenities. Several of our friends stay there when they go to Disney cause they can all rent one cottage and share the cost and its right down the street. 4.48 miles to be exact! www.tropicalpalms.com

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  15. HaleysMom

HaleysMom Approved members

Searching for Friends

My 6 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed in May...just wanted to know if anyone was attending the conference with a daughter around the same age as her...maybe they could become penpals and have a friend to meet up with there:D

Haley has done great with all that is going on and I am so impressed with how brave she has been. It has only been a little over a month since we found out and I'm still trying to find ways to explain everything to her. Especially when there are so many things that I still don't understand. I want to be able to answer all her questions and explain all the possibilities to her, but without alarming her. Sometimes we have trouble getting her to eat and I'm not sure how to let her know how important it is that she needs to eat. Any helpful tips?

(currently on NPH/REG and a 45g meal diet--novolog sliding scale)[/COLOR]

16. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I sent you a private message.

17. Billetdeaux

Billetdeaux CWD Education/Programs

Be Persistent

Rooms definitely still do become available from time to time at the Renaissance. You need to keep calling and checking.

CWD will have buses running from the Residence Inn to the Renaissance, and from the Courtyard to the Renaissance on Weds to Sunday (Sunday, only through breakfast). On Saturday, there will be a bus loop that includes the 3 hotels and Universal Studios. There is no need to rent a vehicle unless you really want the independence of getting around on your own. Remember you will need to pay for parking at the Renaissance if you have a vehicle.

I am holding a number of rooms for last minute registrations who might have a physical disability and need to be on site. If these are not needed by the 1st week in July, I will release them back to the room block and they will be available to anyone. Again, you need to be persistent and call; there is no waiting list.

Re: your question about other 6 year olds - there will be about 200-250 kids in the 6-9 year old range. Plenty of 6 year olds! And literally hundreds of families will be on site as of Monday. See you all there!

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

adult collage

This is from Wendy

Hi Everyone,
    Okay, I know there are lots of adults out there who haven't sent me
    the picture for the FFL collage. Please if you are a freshman in
    college or older. I EVEN mean staff send me a picture. I have
    gotten some from some of the staff. Thank you. This is the first
    year for this but would like to see it be a neat collage.

Wendy
    p.s. e-mail me the pictures or send me an e-mail and I will forward my address.

wendy.ort@gmail.com

19. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I'm walking 4 miles per day starting today in order to be in shape for the fun run (walk) at FFL. Anyone else doing something for inspiration:D?

[​IMG]

20. dragonblimps_mom

dragonblimps_mom Approved members

Sorry Ellen, but they aren't having a fun run this year. :( They only have the parking lot and that isn't so fun. They will have Wake Up Work Out with Harold from 7:00 to 7:30 both Thursday and Friday so you keep getting in shape and I'll see you there! :)

Mary Catherine
    Amelia's Mom 10.75 yrs old, dx T1D 2000, dx CD 2001, dx thyroid 2002