- advertisement -

FreeStyle Navigator II

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Joa, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Joa

Joa Approved members

Update:
    You can have a first (german languaged) look at the Navigator II on the german Abbott site:

http://www.abbott-diabetes-care.de/...es-glukose-messsystem/freestyle-navigator-ii/

Regards
    Joa

p.s. The Navigator II ist certified for children => 6 years

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I used google translate to translate the page into English. It looks like the sensor/transmitter is a bit smaller (more square) than the original Navigator but I couldn't find the dimensions. I'm glad they plan to move forward with this technology and not abandon it.

One thing I don't like about the sensor is that little plastic piece - that is the actual part that goes into the body - used to be sort of loose - I always thought it was going to fall out before I clicked in the transmitter - and that looks the same. I suppose you still need to unclick and reclick the transmitter in order to reset for extended wear.

Thanks for posting this!

3. Joa

Joa Approved members

Hi,
    on the linked page bottomwards you can load 2 Manuals (Benutzerhandbuch and Expertenanleitung called). The first is in German and Italian Language.
    In the manuals you find closer Pictures from the system.

But I think that soon the Navi II will appear on Abbotts uk-Site too.
    Abbott says that the Navigator II ist yet available in Germany, Netherlands, GB, Norway, France and Sweden.

I suppose, that Abbott now is hoping that they will launch the Navi II in North America in a expectable time too.

Let's see ... ;)

Regards
    Joa

p.s.
    yes, the sensor is just the same as before. The Transmitter and the groundplate may be nearly half as long. The serter seems to be equal to the elder one too.

4. selketine

I hope you'll keep posting anything else you find out about it. William is actually getting the new G4 Dexcom this week and I've heard such good things about it I'm excited for us. We switched from the Nav to the Dexcom 7+ and I've actually been happy with the Dex. It is SO much easier and fairly accurate for him. I know this isn't the case for everyone of course.

The Nav was still more accurate for us than the 7+ but not massively so. I'm just glad - like I said - that Abbott is staying in the market because I think the more competition the better - and their technology is different than the Dex and MM versions.

Thanks again Joa!

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Is it strange that the German manual has photos of a Navigator in English and mg/dl rather than mmol/l?

6. Joa

Joa Approved members

Hello,
    mmmmh the photos are looking very german-styled to me?
    The reason for the both measuring units mg% and mmol/l is that you find both of them in Germany. The states of the former GDR (German Democratic Republic = East Germany) are measuring in mmol/l because the GDR government adapted this SI-Unit while the old FRG (Federal Republic of Germany = West Germany) stood on the old unit mg/dl as for example the US too.

Greetings
    Joa

7. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

The first photo on the cover of the manual is in English and in mg/dl, as well as a few others. When I look closer others are in German. Is there any market other than the US that would use English and mg/dl?

8. Joa

Joa Approved members

I have no idea of other countries ...
    So your sharp eyed notification may be taken as an other sign that Abbott is willed to reappear on the US market again with the Navigator(II)?

Regards
    Joa

9. selketine

Good catch! I can't imagine they would try to come back into this market so soon. Is there some way to tell if they've submitted anything to the FDA?

Thinking about it another second I tried to google to see what countries use mg/dl and some that come up were Austria - which is German speaking. And it says France, South America and India also. Just thinking maybe they put it in English as it is the mostly common 2nd language in those countries if combined together. Just a guess - and I don't know if the list I found is accurate.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  10. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

I called them! I had to find out more. The size of the sensor/transmitter is
    3,2 by 3,1 by 1,1 cm. The cost is 1995 euros and a 6 packet of sensors cost 389 euros

11. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

Yes, Israel.

12. moco89

moco89 Approved members

The batteries in the Nav II are not replaceable and supposedly "require" an AC outlet.

Because the unit charges via the USB port, you could use a suitable solar charger to charge the receiver.

I am an electrical engineering student and I read stats. I would recommend either this or this as suitable portable chargers, if using an AC/wall charger is not always available.

Personally, I hate having to charge portable devices (other than my laptop) in AC/wall outlets.

13. MalcolmH

MalcolmH New Member

I know this conversation is getting old, but just to pickup on the points above, the Navigator II sensor is just the same but I haven't experienced any problems. I do keep my arm horizontal until the transmitter is in place, perhaps that is why.
    The sensor mount is 3.5cm x 3cm x 1.5cm (LxBxH). The transmitter fits inside that volume.

Extending the sensor is tricky the first few times, but not really a problem once you get used to it. The transmitter overhangs the end of the mount by 1mm. Slide a sharp knife under the overhang and angle it upwards only very slightly away from the arm and against the bottom of the transmitter. IMPORTANT do this with little pressure as too much upward force will break the transmitter securing points. It's all about position rather than force. This releases the transmitter (though it isn't obvious). Slide it off or try again if you don't get it right first time. I've only used 7 sensors and have extended to a maximum 5 more days so far. Replacing the transmitter after acknowledging removal starts a new calibration cycle.