- advertisement -

Freestyle Navigator 2-EASD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by moco89, Oct 10, 2012.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I saw a tweet from diatribe.us and also on diabetesmine.com that a new, revamped, Freestyle Navigator 2 was just silently released in the European Union during the EASD conference.

Has anyone heard anything more about it?

Does anyone know if Abbott has any active FDA applications (510(k)) for a new Navigator?

I loved my Navigator and I miss it a lot!!!

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

David Kliff's (of Diabetic Investor) take on it:

Given that Dexcom now has the one feature where the Navigator had an actual advantage (longer range), I cannot imagine why anyone would want to use a Navigator again, absent fingerpoke replacement accuracy.

4. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I had a 85-95% sensor failure rate with the dexcom. It is very sensitive to hydration issues, while the Navigator is not.

I also have a lot of trouble with MM's transmitter.

5. hawkeyegirl

I'll revise my statement then. I find it difficult to imagine that enough people would be willing to take a chance on the Navigator to make it commercially feasible. ;)

I wish Abbott would sell the Nav technology to a competent company.

6. timsma

timsma Approved members

As much as I LOVED the navigator for Tim, I won't be going back to them. No way. They bailed on us once, I won't give them the opportunity to do so again. I'm very excited about the gen 4 dexcom we're about to order because it does seem like it has what the navigator had as far as range, and I'm hoping it's as accurate as the navigator was too. The dex isn't AS accurate, but it's workable. And no threats of dexcom quitting on us (I HOPE!)

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm finding myself very happy with the Dex - happier than I thought I would be. No one dislikes Abbott more than me after the Navigator debacle - but if they came out with a kick butt product most of us would forgive and forget.:p

Of course to get people to take a chance on them it would have to be amazing - at least for those who don't have problems using the other cgms devices out there.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Moco, I was surprised to see you post this, because I remember you posting a lot about how bad the Navigator was for you, and warned others about it how many issues you had with it.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I believe in the brilliance of the inventors of the Navigator and am still hopeful for their technology to be on the market.....and I agree that it would be nice if a another company bought the IP and pursued it!

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I too would like to see the Navigator back on the market - simply so that there is another option, but truthfully I don't think they've really burned any bridges. The fact that they do NOT have a product now isn't really hurting any potential future business - people trying CGM for the first time are still likely to consider all options available, and I am sure there are plenty of prior navigator users who would be thrilled to go back.

11. hawkeyegirl

I don't see many prior Nav users on this board who are dying to go back. Most of them appear to have become pretty satisfied with Dex or MM.

Abbott lost its shirt on the Nav because the CGM market is TINY, and they somehow managed to produce a product that had great sensor technology, cumbersome calibration and alarm setting issues, and hardware that apparently was designed by Mickey Mouse. They got all the hard stuff right and completely screwed up the easy stuff.

If they produced a fingerpoke replacement CGM, maybe people would use it, but otherwise, nah. I just don't see it working out for them. Maybe down the road in AP products where someone else designs the hardware.

12. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

One thing I hold in high regard is a company that is reliable, and I can count on not to leave me hanging.

For that reason, I'd never go back to the Navigator no matter what they produced; because honestly, who's to say they wouldn't lose their pants again and leave all their faithful customers out in the cold without any answers.

I recall many stories from people who said they kept getting told the Navigator would be back, and that story was repeated for months on end... until it became obvious this wasn't the case. Yet no one at Abbott could tell us that. Until finally, after many had basically left anyhow, they came out with it.

Like others, I believe in the brilliance of what was created and truly hope it makes its way into the IP hands of other CGM-makers. Abbott has lost its credibility in my own eyes, and I have heard that from many people who once used the Nav and were loyal fans of it.

It's also a reason why I prefer companies that have been around for awhile, doing their thing and learning how the system works in order to get all the kinks out. An example: As cool and awesome the t:slim looks, it's too new for me and I'm not confident in a 1st-generation system like this, despite the fact that many of the company officials came from other long-standing D-companies.

Maybe in the next generation of D-tech, once they get past all their initial hurdles and flaws and the company has more footing to know what it's doing.

13. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I liked the Navigator, but I could not deal with its problems.

After trying all 3 cgms devices, the Navigator turned out being the best one for me, despite its flaws.

I posted all of the problems I had with it out of frustration. I also tried to warn people about the problems.

It was by far the most accurate and consistent CGMS out there for me (when the hardware was working and when the sensor was not falling off in the HOT Texas heat due to the cheap tape).

Right now I am on the fence between getting a Navigator II (if it ever comes out) or a Dexcom. The study that was being conducted on it is now complete. I wish the IP rights for the Navigator were sold to a company that was more trustworthy than Abbott. But, I would be willing to work with Abbott again.

The culprit of the problem with Abbott was poor management in all departments relating to the Navigator, and an industrial design team that should have received an F for the Navigator design. The design of the Freestyle Navigator, was literally a prototype design, in my opinion.

However, the technology itself is and was so great. That is why I miss it.

I was even considering traveling overseas to get another Navigator! I would just use a mail forwarding service if the device broke and I needed a European address.

14. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

15. hawkeyegirl

The Dex that just came out has reported accuracy in line with the Nav's reported accuracy. With presumably none of the headaches. (BTW, you may want to edit your signature, since it does not sound like your son is currently "loving" the Dex. ;))

From what I read, the biggest difference between the Nav and the current Dex is the reliability of the hardware, the flexibility of the alarm settings, and the ease of calibration. I realize there are a few folks who would probably tolerate the Nav Nightmare for the few percentage points in accuracy difference, but there aren't enough of them to make it a commercially viable product. That's why Abbott never released the FDA approved (in 2009!) one-hour start up version.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  16. Stacey Nagel

Better?? I edited my sig for you ;)

17. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

Well...

As a still CURRENT user of the Nav, I would absolutely love to know more about the new and improved 2.0 :)

There is no question that the Nav has been and still is the better technology. Abbott screwed the pooch - no question - and it caused havoc in my life as well, but until there is something comparable on the market, I'm a captive audience. If they release 2.0 in the US again, I'll immediately sign up. In the meantime, I still have over a year's supply of sensors for my 1.5, and a supply channel to get replacements from if I need them, as well as more sensors.

Expensive? sure. It's out of pocket, because insurance won't cover something that isn't in the US (it's essentially a grey market purchase). But it works far better than either Dex or MM (for me, anyway, and from my personal experience, although admittedly I have not tried the G4. I'm hearing it isn't that much different from the 7+ in terms of performance though).

I'll ask my folks in Israel about the Nav 2.0 and see what I can find. If it really is out, I'll just run through my current 1.5 supplies and then order the 2.0 moving forward.

18. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

The existing sensors are supposed to be usable by the new system

19. Stacey Nagel

I still have a working Navigator, and a few boxes of sensors... somewhere in the D closet... Jesse is using the new Dexcom now... says its much more accurate than the old one... the range is phenomenal.... He left it in his car the other day , and it was still working when he brought it back into the house... He said he wouldn't switch back. the dex is more comfortable to wear:cwds:

20. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My younger son is allergic to the Dexcom. He uses the MM now. He never had allergy issues with the Navigator. I would love more companies come on the market for CGM to give people more options if they can't use certain ones. Although I liked range on the Navigator , I found the calibrations to be more painful on the Navigator than the MM. They would have to change some things before I would switch from the MM. Going to a 1 hour start up would not be enough. We had a hard time keeping that heavy transmitter taped to the arm. Would fall off with sweat. Don't have that issue with MM. I heard new MM Enlite uses different tape. Hope we are not allergic.