- advertisement -

Freestyle Lite errors

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by frizzyrazzy, Sep 5, 2011.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

This is a new one - we're using lot 1168873 and we're getting ER3 about once every 5 strips or so. Twice just now. All my boxes are the same lot, so I can't test, but it's been happening in 3 different boxes so far. And just to be sure, I tried a new meter and it's still happening.

Anyone else see an uptick in these lately?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Did you check the battery?

3. frizzyrazzy

yeah, two different meters, two different batteries.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Nope, but we don't have any from that lot. Sounds like you have a long and potentially aggravating phone call in your future :rolleyes: Good luck!!

5. frizzyrazzy

omg! I know. I hate calling them. I know exactly how it's going to go:

Me: I seem to be having a lot of trouble
    Them (reading from script): Ok, lets make sure you're doing the blood glucose test correctly. I will now walk you through the process.
    Me: I've done about 10 checks a day for the past 6 years, I think I know how to do them correctly.
    Them: but if we don't do this I cannot file a report and I can't talk to you.
    Me: fine
    Them: please poke your finger
    Me: but I'm not the one with diabetes
    Them: then I can't help you out if you won't do this
    Me: but I'm not checking my blood glucose, these are my son's strips. He has diabetes
    Them: well lets check with him
    Me: but he's at school.
    Them: Ma'am, if you're not going to cooperate then I can't help you.
    Me: look, I have a drawer full of strips, all the same lot, all of wchih are giving me an error.
    Them: have you performed a control solution test? Let me walk you through the process.
    Me; ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

LOL! Yup, that's your Tuesday!:p

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

Hmmm, we had a can that gave us a ton of E3 too! I finally threw the rest of them away yesterday because I was so tired of it. We had three in a row! I don't know the number and the next one we opened has been working fine.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Well, you could shorten that up a bit by stating up front that the unit is for your son who is at school but you have control solution.

9. frizzyrazzy

of course I could. :rolleyes: That was just a silly little tirade based on past experience with Abbott's customer service [sic].

10. frizzyrazzy

well, about as unhelpful as I expected. But they are sending me two new meters because they just don't think it could possibly be their strips.

Whatever. I'll give the new meters a try even though I'm using a new meter, and I told them I'm using a new meter...and I'm sure I'll have more errors with the rest of these strips.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven's Freestyle lite meter screwed up the night before the hurricane hit:rolleyes: I kept trying strips and it kept giving me an error 4. I called Abbot and yep, went through the whole shpeel with the guy. He told me to try a strip from a different lot, of course they were all from the same lot and had been working fine up until then. I love what the instruction book says when you try to troubleshoot. Could be a problem with the meter. Could be a problem with the test strip. Call customer service:rolleyes: They did send me out a new meter when they could get a Fed ex truck down my road:)

12. frizzyrazzy

I just LOL on their assumption that for 6 years we've apparently had no trouble doing a test but suddenly we're doing the test wrong and that is what is giving us the error. That was how they acted. Alternate that with the attitude that I got from the rep that we were somehow just looking for free meters. WTF.. I am this close to being done with abbott once and for all.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh I know! I got the same impression. He read his script and had me do the control solution test even though I told the young man that any time I put a strip in it would beep and show me error 4 immediately. I had to explain that I couldnt very well do a control test if it wouldnt stop beeping at me:rolleyes: Then he asked if there was blood in the port where you stick the strip. How the heck would blood get all the way in there I wondered!?

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

LOL, really? And where would the fun in that be??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. mocha

mocha Approved members

Are the strips you're using the new ones (as I call them, the "zippy" strips) that they keep advertizing on TV these days? I've been getting a lot of E3's with those.

I've been trying to make sure that when I pull the strip out of the vial, that I only touch the edges (not the part that goes into the meter and not the parts that take in the sample) and this seems to have reduced the number of errors, but I'm not entirely sure if it's me being extra super careful or if it's the fact that I've gone through so many that this new vial doesn't have the problems.

16. frizzyrazzy

yes. these are the ones. The newest strips (I call them butterfly strips) but they're the newest ones with the skinny blood collection area.

I am not happy to hear you're seeing more E3's but happy that I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

17. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Although those scripted customer service interactions drive me bonkers, my sister, who works in computer support, has made me more sympathetic to them!