- advertisement -

free or low cost medical care

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by kyles_mom, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I have a friend who has a family member with Type 2. She is struggling financially and has no health insurance. Last weekend she was hospitalized because her BG was 430. My friend is really worried about her. My question is this: she lives in the San Gabriel/Los Angeles area of Southern California. Does anyone know of anywhere that she could get free or low cost medical care for her diabetes? Does the ADA have anything for people w/o insurance? Apparently the hospital she was admitted to just basically took care of the initial problems then told her to go to a County Hospital. I'm just wondering if there is anything else out there. Any information would be extremely appreciated.

2. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

I know where we go(CHOP) there is charity care and you just have to apply for it. They also offer Supplemental Insurance for people with diabetes. Diabetes doesn't qualify as a disability so you have to go through SSI and get denied and then finish applying. It's some kind of of loophole in the law.