- advertisement -

Free Online Chart?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Michael, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

Is anyone using an online chart to keep track of BS numbers? I'm so bad at not writing it down and since I'm online more than I'm not I figured maybe I'd be more consistent with them if I do it that way.
    Saw the doc today for our 3 month check up and it wasn't pleasant.
    Michael's A1C is down from 11.7 to 10 but it's still almost double than a year ago. The doctor pretty much told me I was being irresponsible in not hovering over him and making sure he's putting his numbers into his pump, that he's 10 and that I was the adult and had to start behaving like one. I agree that maybe we've given Michael a bit too much responsibility by letting him put his own carb counts in but at 10 I thought he was old enough.
    I had mentioned to him that site changes are a fight every 3 days and he told me I wasn't letting the cream on long enough. The pharmacist told me 30 minutes and now the doctor is saying 45 min - 1 hour and to put plastic wrap over the cream to help it to penetrate the skin better and then he had to show me how to do it like I was a child.
    I'm so ready for glass of wine and some quiet time.

2. hipmama

hipmama Approved members

Any child at ten years old is likely not ready for the 24/7 responsibility of diabetes care. If his A1C is 10, that means his average blood sugar is 275.

Part of me wants to day I'm sorry you had a rough appointment, though I really do think that it was right of your doc to be firm with you. You need to take over the D care 100% for a while.

I use a system where I print out chart on index cards and keep an index card binder in our D bag.
    It looks like this:

Time Blood Glucose Correction Carbs Correction Total

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks

Notes:

3. Mom2Michael

I do agree he probably needs to be watched more but on our last visit they kept stressing to him that this was his responsibility, that he needs to learn how to do it yadda yadda. You can bet that I'll be like a helicopter hovering over him now.
    The index cards are a great idea, I have a notebook now but we either forget to write it in if we're out or if one of the older kids gets his meal they don't write it down. Since I'm online most of the day working I figured I'd be more apt to type the number in and then just print it for the doctor. I do back up my work each day so there's little chance it would be lost if something were to *gasp* happen to my laptop ;)

4. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I always tell Cass that diabetes is her responsibility, the same way that homework is her responsibility and walking her dog and cleaning her room. That means, just like with everything else in parenting, I am ultimately responsible. I'm the built in safety net, so if she fails in her responsibility, then it's up to me to take over.

I do not expect Cassidy to take full control of her diabetes, just like I don't expect her to clean the entire house, even when she's the one who made the mess. I treat diabetes the same way. I know what she's capable of doing, I let her count carbs and decide what she's going to eat, but I oversee it all, that way she learns what to do, but doesn't feel like she's all alone with this stupid disease that is difficult for adults to handle, let alone kids. She has the rest of her life to take full responsibility of her d care...she only gets to be a kid once....

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What kind of sets are you using? When we switched to Quickset we no longer numbed up. Do you ever download to Carelink?

6. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I'm sorry you had a tough doc visit, but always good to come away with a plan of action to get/stay on top of D as much as possible.

Do you have a Carelink USB device for your pump? I absolutely DESPISE logging, but am vigilant about uploading my son's pump & meter data regularly. If you do this, you have a very thorough log of BGs, carbs & boluses that you can print out and assess. You can print a standard log-book type report like you might write down, or look at the data on different reports to look for trends of highs/lows, etc. So you have all the data logged w/out ever having to write a single thing down! :D Love, love, love this thing b/c I hate, hate, hate logging.

Of course the critical part is figuring out what to do about the data you assess to get closer to the BGs desired...

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

The endo should have helped you with an attack plan. He's 10, IMO, too young to be handling too much. Take over as much as possible without it seeming like a punishment. He has his whole life to do it himself.

You can download the meter and the pump. Try to do it often, maybe every couple of days or weekly and report back to the endo for input or see if you can spot patterns and work from there.

The numbing cream should stay on for the recommended time, I think 1hr is enough, but check the insert.

Plus puberty hormones are probably kicking in or a growth spurt and you need to be more aggressive with basal changes, and perhaps the bolus as well.

Hang in there.

8. Mom2Michael

I should probably specify that he's not completely on his own. We count the carbs and tell him what they are, he tells me what his BS is and how many units he's receiving according to his pump. The problem seems to be that he's not always pushing act (or something) and getting his insulin. This is what I have to watch over and make him show me that the insulin is actually being delivered.
    We use the quickset and he'll only use his stomach tho I think the doctor has convinced him to try his upper tooshie cheek :p
    They did mention the usb link so we can hook his meter up, our didn't come with one but the new ones do, so I'm checking into that right now.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We use the upper tooshie too. ;) We got the USB for Carelink and it makes it very easy to download the pump. We use it for the Guardian. I am not the one to do manual logging anymore. Are you using the Ultralink meter? Does your son think he is hitting enter on the bolus? Maybe watch him do it a couple of times. Buttons can go bad on a pump. Happened to us.

The Carelink reports should help you keep on top of it.

Good Luck!

10. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

My daughter is 11. I will tell her so many carbs to put in, relying on the fact that she is suspose to do it and low and behold a little later I will ask her if she did it and she will say oops I forgot, now how do they forget? I need a pepsi and a hot bath now.