advertisement

Free foods or low carb snack list?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

My son is 21 months old and a very picky eater .. One day he loves something an the next he is spitting it out in disgust .
    Any ideas for good snacks for him? It is soooo hard to feed him "free" snacks , and he wants to snack always so a list of free and/or low carb/low sugar snacks would be very helpful! Thank you!

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

3. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

I like:
    raspberries (0.23 carbs in one)
    pistachios (0.2 in one)
    cheese
    olives (0.18 in each)
    pumpkin seeds (5 in 1 oz)
    pickles (2 for one)
    broccoli

Hope this helps! :)

4. MilesForMiles

MilesForMiles Approved members

Hi! My little guy was diagnosed at a young age too (dx 12 months, now 18 months). Sorry if I'm showing my ignorance, but why are you worried about needing "free" snacks since you have a pump? Ever since we got a pump, we try to keep Miles on low carb snacks, but if he's being picky, we just give him a bolus. By the way, some of my favorites are berries with cottage cheese and mini vanilla wafers with peanut butter. Good luck. Maybe you can help me think about what's right around the corner since Miles is just behind Julien in age!

5. William

William Approved members

Our son was 14 months at diagnosis and a picky eater too. Before we got the pump, for snacks he would eat cheese which has no carbs, olives of all things, sugar free jello with a little regular cool whip. He would also eat morningstar (soy) suasages and bacon. Eggs are good if he will eat them. Cottage cheese and cream cheese too.

Once we got the pump, we could try adding new foods with his snacks. He refused to eat fresh fruit, but we kept putting peices on his plate along with things he does like. Eventually he started to try them a little until one day he ate some apple and it has become his favorite. Some fresh fruits like apples, pears and strawberries have a low glycemic value if eaten whole (not processed). Apples slices with the skin have minimal affect on his BG.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree with milesformiles, what is the point of doing low carb snacks? Usually people on MDI will use "free" snacks so as not to subject their child to another shot. But for those on a pump, that is not an issue.

Why not just give him the same snacks he had before he got diabetes?

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Even with my 8 year old there are many times that a free or low carb snack is the best choice. Like if her number is way higher than I would like it but she is hungery, or I simply do not want her to have allot of active insulin in her body before dance class, becaue it will drive her low and there is no real great time in the 1.5 to test and treat if she is low. if we suspect a wonky site and and not want to add to BG.

There are many reasons, pumping does not change any of he situations I mentioned.One think that I started to do when my dd was youge was to not offer the snack to her but to make enough for the both of us and just start snackin, she would almost always want some.

lower carb options at the top of my head

1carb ketchup
    Ranch dressing
    celery cucumbers
    frozen green beans
    Veggie straws 1/2 serving 7.5carbs looks like allot
    cheese sticks
    olives
    otterpops
    watermelon
    strawberrys
    frozen whip creme in a ice cream cup 7 carbs
    ham an cheese roll up
    cucumber, ham and cheese sandwich (think of te cucumber like a ritz cracker)
    cut up hotdog
    veggies try the steam bags if you have not for a quick snack

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'll also gently add to seasoned parents that it's not uncommon in the beginning to fear lots of insulin. Giving more and more after you have just given a bolus for a meal is terrifying. We who have been in the trenches a while realize that fear is unfounded, but it IS a fear. I can still remember the heart pumping anxiety that went along with his first big bolus at a chinese buffet. And then needing more not too much later. Scary stuff to inject that much insulin.

I'm not sure why the OP is wanting carb free foods but there are many valid reasons out there, many of them included in the above reply. Carb free foods are still something we factor into life, particularly surrounding sports and illness. Or it could be they are fearful of giving insulin on top of insulin until they see if their initial food bolus worked/was correct.

It's a scary world out there in the beginning, I well remember it.

9. William

William Approved members

Most literature/medical advice I have read suggests to consume moderate levels of carbs regardless of being on a pump.

10. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

He is a very picky eater.. And snacks alot and constantly has a bottle of milk in his hand so no matter how much insulin I give him his numbers are consistently higher because he is always eating.. So I want to find more things for him to snack on that are lower in carbs or free , then all the things he normally eats like Gerber puffs , pretzels, cereal, banana .. He won't eat alot. He like cheese sticks last week an now he won't touch them!
    He liked the cucumber I Tryed so well see how many days I can get outta that one lol

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Try not to take this as a criticism, but I'd give you the gentle suggestion that it's time to take away the bottle of milk. Most pediatricians suggest doing away with the bottle around 12 months of age and to give water between meals. Otherwise many kids will fill up on milk and not eat other nutrients they need. Add diabetes to the mix, and that's even better advice. :eek: He's still at the age where it won't take long for him to get used to it. It will only get harder to take it away as he gets older.

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Watermelon as a low carb snack? definitely NOT for us..

My daughter liked smoked chicken and cucumber as a snack..

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

.08 carb factor is pretty low, maybe not for a big kid but for a little one 100grams weight is allot of watermellon.

14. MilesForMiles

MilesForMiles Approved members

I understand, Arleigh. We just gave up the bottle of milk at 18 months. We were starting to take it away at 12 months when he was diagnosed. I didn't have the heart not to let him have his bottle in the hospital with all he was going through. Even at home, it just seemed cruel with all he has on his plate. We started offering him milk only in his high chair in a sippy cup. He still wakes up for milk at night (which is fine since he can't make it through 12 hours of sleep without a snack), but only drinks about half as much from his sippy than the bottle. I have no idea what I'm going to do when his teeth start rotting out from these midnight snacks:(.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I've never looked up the carb factor of watermelon . I just know that it used to send Rachel through the roof...

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Sealants prevent tooth decay.

17. William

William Approved members

When we have to give juice during the night, we always follow it with some no carb flavored water to rinse away the sugars. Nestle purelife Splash are good- not too sweet tasting llike some of the powdered mixed drinks.

18. Laura Ben

Laura Ben Approved members

My little guy is 4, dx'ed at just under 3. These are foods we have never had to bolus for - low to no carbs.

? Carrot and celery sticks or cucumber slices and ranch dressing to dip
    ? Celery with peanut butter
    ? Cheese stick
    ? Hard boiled egg, scrambled egg
    ? Avocado slices
    ? Cherry tomatoes
    ? Sugar free jello
    ? ? cup (small colored plastic kiddie bowl) of popcorn
    ? Peanuts, cashews, pistachios, honey roasted peanuts
    ? ? cup of blueberries
    ? Rolled up ham or turkey slice
    ? Soy sausage, sausage or bacon
    ? Edamame (he likes it with lite soy sauce to dip)