- advertisement -

Freaking out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 22jules, Jun 19, 2012.

1. 22jules

22jules Approved members

It's 4:15 in the morning and my daughter is scheduled to get her wisdom teeth out at 9am so she can't have anything to eat or drink. She woke up this morning at 250 so I wasn't thinking this was going to be a Problem keeping her Blood sugar high.

At 12am she was 221 so I gave a very minor .3 and put her on a 80% basal. When I woke up at 2am she was 127! What!

I dropped her basal to 70% and just now she Is 72!!!

No active insulin so I turned her Basal off and now I'm completely stressing out!

Not sure if I have a question but I obviously can't go back to sleep---I don't know what else to do and I hope she will start Raising. I HATE this stupid disease!

2. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

I wish I knew what to say, but we are only 6 months I to this I have no answers...I am sorry and I wish I could help. Good luck to your daughter today.

I HATE THIS DISEASE TOO,!!!!!

3. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

When my son had his wisdom teeth out, they said he could have glucose tablets if he was low while he was fasting. Check with your surgeon - he may say the same.

4. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Thanks for the responses-I swear I was starting to have a panic attack! Checked and she is now 77 so going up-albeit really slowly! I think I'll wait until over 100 and then move her basal up to 50%.

During the surgery he is going to have a glucose drip so we should be fine there-but I think after the unpredictability of her bg I think I want her close to 200 by 9am

I wonder if her stressing over the surgery resulted in the low. We live in California and a couple of years ago we had a huge wildfire raging close to our home. I now remember she ran really low that day as well.

Maybe when she's scared or nervous her blood sugar drops! Although she has slept through this entire episode-unlike me!

5. 22jules

22jules Approved members

6:30 and 105! Woohoo....

Thanks for letting me vent and stress this morning....boy am I tired!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry this was so stressful! Hope everything continues to go better! :)

7. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Thanks! Normally I feel pretty much in control, well as much as in control that you can with this stupid disease!

I think another thing that was stressing me out was my endo office a couple of weeks ago when they got the notice from the oral surgeon called me because we "let Erin run really low" and they wanted to make sure that we would lower her basals, etc.

It annoyed me because I'm not stupid and of course I was going to lower basals in anticipation of her surgery. They wanted me to only lower to 90% overnight, I lowered her basals to 80% starting at dinnertime.

Then she was, with an easy low-carb dinner, in the low to mid 200's and like I said, despite numerous corrections the night before she woke up 250! So I'm thinking that since school got out on Thursday and we just got back from a week-end away where she ran higher, we were going to have no problem with keeping her bs up. I was thinking that her basals were needing adjusting--and then BAM she drops like a brick!

So when I gave her that .3 at bedtime, I in no way thought she would drop all the way to 72! But boy do I feel stupid now.

I don't know if this post makes any sense since I got virtually no sleep last night but just trying to get it out did help. And now I get to look forward to what her bs will do after! At least she'll be awake!

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hope the surgery goes well. So sorry for your rough night.:(

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would be happy that the Endo cared enough to make the call.

Hope the surgery goes well.

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.

For one of my son's surgeries there was an emergency op that went before him (the only time he hasn't been first on the list). When the op before him went on longer than planned his sugars started to drop too low so I gave him a mini dose of glucagon just to make sure he made it into theatre at a reasonable level. It's a little crude in terms of control but gets round the nil-by-mouth problem. And once he's in theatre he is on a drip and well monitored and controlled.

11. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Well if it WAS the endo then maybe I would feel the same way, but it was the Nurse Practitioner whom I never met and who seemed to be a little judgmental. I think it's great if judgmental people questioning your diabetic care of your daughter doesn't bother you-you must be more evolved than I!

12. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Update on Erin-she was 180 or so before surgery and thanks to a glucose drip 300+ after.

Kind of funny but when she was done the assistant comes out to me in a panic and says that they have just tested Erin's blood sugar and she is 300 and that I should call my doctor right away. I'm like it's ok I can take care of it, just let me get to her pump. We have seen 300's before:rolleyes:

She seems to be good-although haven't been able to get her lower than 200 despite running her basal at 200%. She has been such a trooper. Cvs kept us waiting on her pain medication despite the fact that they called it in and it should have been ready when we got there. Then right when we got home she vomited a couple times-poor baby!

Now she is comfortable has had a milkshake and frozen yogurt and is icing faithfully while watching movies.

I am so happy that this is behind us. I like to be in as much control as possible- which of course is impossible with diabetes.

Thank you for all the well wishes and for helping me get through!