- advertisement -

Forum decorum

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

From what I understand "trolls" as they are called like to go to forums and stir trouble by pretending to be a part of the community and then attacking someone starting an argument.
    Fakers are like Munchhausen by Proxy via forums or something. They like to come in and be a parent of a "sick" kid so they can get support and attention because they have a sickness that makes them addicted to it or something.

I may be wrong, and it wouldn't surprise me if I am, but this is what I understand by what I've read in the different threads on this subject.
    I'm sure someone will be more than happy to correct me if I'm wrong here. lol

2. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

True. And I've probably said a few things about an endo who will remain unnamed, lol!

Deborah

3. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

Okay, at the risk of never having anyone respond to my statements again, I'm going to say this...

I am fairly new here in terms of the number of posts that I have made. I try not to give too much info out freely over the internet for the safety of my family. I'm sure I have slipped there before. Anyway, from the perspective of a somewhat infrequent poster on this forum I have to say that it does make me hesitate to post when I see threads like this. I don't want to feel judged or questioned when I come to a forum for support and a sense of community. I was on a previous forum that I felt was a strong community that slowly dissolved because of skeptism and bickering over things often not related to D.

Honestly, as a person with not many posts, I can say that I feel the skepticism at times. I have formed friendships that have carried me through the last 2 years with this and love the idea that if I have a question at 12 am, someone will be there to help. I do, however, wonder that if the number of posts I have listed by my name indicates whether I will be answered by a large volume of veterans or only a few. Maybe I'm totally paranoid now, especially after reading this thread, but I hope that we can welcome newbies with the same open arms that we welcome the pros so that everyone feels welcome here.

Sorry if this is not coming across the right way. I just want this to be a happy place and not a closed community where one has to prove themselves worthy to belong.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yes, but you ARE real. :) that's the difference. ;)

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I, for one, rarely look to see how many posts someone has made unless something smells wrong, or if I totally don't recognize the username. All members are created equal otherwise.

OK, sometimes I peek to see if Michelle has hit 10,000 posts yet (betting opens soon on that). :rolleyes:

Ahem. I have to head over to OT and get to work on the betting.

6. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

OK, sometimes I peek to see if Michelle has hit 10,000 posts yet (betting opens soon on that). :rolleyes:

Ahem. I have to head over to OT and get to work on the betting.[/QUOTE]

With upcoming FFL, I'm wagering that it's sometime before July 1st!

(See, I am still a newbie! I can't make the quotes work!)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thanks for the explanation. Sick people with too much time on their hands. Maybe they should start their own Munchhausen by Proxy forum ;).

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

With upcoming FFL, I'm wagering that it's sometime before July 1st!

(See, I am still a newbie! I can't make the quotes work!)[/QUOTE]

See I figured with all the fun of summer and the whole Disney thing, she might slow down.

9. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

What if there was a person on that forum faking Munchausen's? What does that make them then? A faker pretending to be a faker :confused: LOL thinking of that makes my head spin :p

Oh and I'm definitelty a faker. I bought my pump on ebay, I get syringes from the druggie needle exchange and I regularly dip my finger in OJ to get fake high bg's ;)

10. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

I gotta be honest when I started reading this post I was stunned that there were people who actually did this sort of thing! What sort of person would pose as being someone who lives with this???
    This reminds me of a job I had last year, part of my job was to draw blood on patients, I had this one, and older man, who went on and on about how he hated needles, then he says to me "man think of the diabetics, that would suck to have to stick yourself all those times" without jabbing him in the eye with the syringe I politely said "actually I dont have to imagine my son has it, so be grateful you dont have to", but did that shut him up? NOOOOO he just kept on and on and on, I got so flustered that I put the needle through his vain and blew it out. Can i sit here here and honestly say I didnt mean to..not really..subconsciensly i probably meant to.
    I just dont get the insensitivity of some people. :(

11. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

Wow, I didn't know that people did that sort of thing and I learned a new word, troll, I have heard the word but didn't know what it meant. :)

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Yep, I've seen it... I either pm people I know to see what they think, or leave it alone. Because, I could be wrong and I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling if their not fake.:cwds:

13. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

through the years , I've had the same feeling, and have discussed it with others who use these forums- offlist....
    Stacey

14. Heather(CA)

Just so you know...I don't think anyone looks at the newbies to see if they think their fake. It just comes out when something doesn't ring true. A good example is that one night there was a college age kid that kept complaining she could NOT get her bg up no matter what, she had drank and eatten everything around her and she was alone. THEN she siad the Endo told her to drive to his office and meet him there??? NO WAY would that happen, see what I mean? :cwds:

15. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

stories not ringing true...

Yes, in that case I understand the skepticism. :)

16. Heather(CA)

Good, and I checked out some of your posts...NO red flags what so ever, relax:) No one is worried about you. I like your daughters name by the way, do the kids call her Heather Feather?:D

17. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

Leave it to a 'Heather' to be so sweet!

Thanks Heather, for the reassurance, that was so nice of you to take the time to review my posts and put my mind at ease... I do feel reassured and I won't worry further b/c you put it to rest for me :)

No, no one has ever called her 'Heather Feather'... that is cute though!

Thank you again!

I am staying up late waiting to test my son, he had a very active day and lower number than typical.... hope he doesn't get mad at me.

I have tried telling him that I will be waking him up (I remind him before he goes to bed) and that seems to be helping with his anger at being awakened. I hope he gets to the point where he sleeps right through it. Maybe when I get better at it.

18. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

The girl (assuming it's the kid you're talking about) also said she had celiac (along with other things) and said she had eaten crackers during this low after someone suggested it (then the suggester said it might not be a good idea with the celiac). As soon as the faker said she'd eaten crackers, I thought, "Hmm, if those weren't GF, they're probably going to hurt later," but I didn't give it a second thought because I thought she was genuinely low and just getting whatever she could possibly get to raise BG. I didn't assume ANYTHING until I saw the posts saying she was a fake, and even though I don't have D (or live with it daily), I was truly offended. Friends of mine who occasionally read this place had seen posts by the member, and all of them (D and non-D) were really taken aback and offended as well. But seriously, if someone looked like they needed help or advice, and I thought could provide it, I'd try regardless of whether or not they SEEMED like they were faking.

Well, I've just felt like I needed to get that off of my chest ever since I didn't post it in the threads that exposed her awhile back. I'm done now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  19. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I can't tell in here..especially if it is a "newby" of a recently diagnosed child..who is not as familar yet and getting their bearings..and does not know the lingo so to speak yet. I just try to answer as best as I can and welcome them here.
    However, when we have the thread about diabetes supplies...I am a little hesitant now..I sent someone a few things a while back and it was done through PM..no problem..I did ask that the poster let me know when they received the package...and they NEVER did..NOTHING not a word..Which is kind of disheartening..I just wanted to know if they received it. It went to Canada, so I was probably duped or something..but I tried to help. . I want things to go to someone who really needs it, Im rambling sorry!!!

20. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I guess that makes me Protocol Officer?