- advertisement -

For those using Predictive Alarms.. CGM?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lindy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

The MM Rep that came to train our school staff has some nice opionions to share with the staff regarding Preditive Alarms - WHY DO THEY SHARE OPIONIONS??

Anyway - it has really made me think about how the predictive alarms have transformed the care we give our child. And, as was suggested by the rep (to shut off pred. alarms for school). I would much rather be able to set a Low threshhold, shut off the Low SG alarm and keep the Predicitive Alarm on. Does that make sense to anyone else "using" the alarms for their young children?

Catching a low BEFORE it happens - is a marvelous thing - and I feel it gives us the opportunity to help stablize numbers rather than have the steep mountains and valleys - we can get more rounded hills.

Getting a LOW PRED. at 130 2 arrows down (fast drop), or 108 1 arrow down (slow drop), or 102 (slow drop)- PRICELESS! Being able to treat at these points are so much more valuable to me than having to wait until we hit the 100 (Low Threshold).. Numbers are just examples.....

So now - we are trying to work the CGM by shutting off the pred. alarms - I find we are having to raise the low alarm to a higher and higher threshold to try and replace the predictive alarms...

I love the predictive alarms!!! Any thoughts?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My thoughts are that I would love to HAVE the predictive alarms. :eek:

I agree with you that it's better to treat the low before it happens. I don't understand why they want you to turn them off. Are they becoming disruptive? Are they alerting for lows that aren't happening? Frankly, I'd tell the MM rep to mind his or her own beeswax if the predictive alarms are working for you. :rolleyes:

3. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Karla - the rep was saying that the Pred. Alarms are confusing and cause more decision making to happen in the school setting, which may be appropriate for home, but not for school - blah blah blah. We had this problem last year with the rep telling the school to shut off the pred. alarms.

We do not find the alarms to be confusing, however we have also had nearly 3yrs of experience with the CGM. The alarms, depending on the day (can be none, or several). And, if dropping fast, you'll get the low pred. alarm and low sg alarm. You'll have treated the first alarm, and as we all know - it takes awhile for the CGM to catch up. So you'll get the low sg alarm.. There are many times, however that you can successfully treat a low pred. alarm and not get the Low SG alarm. It varies, like everything else with D.

4. Toni

Toni Banned

Never had experience with predictive alarms, but if we HAD a predictive alarm, in the case of lows, for sure, I would not allow the school to turn them off. And I would call up Minimed Rep (who is an adult) and advise him not to make suggestions to staff that are going to impact the D care my child receives. I could be talked into leaving the high predictive alarm off.