- advertisement -

For those that use the Bayer Contour Next meter, what do you use for backup?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Jan 13, 2014.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was just wondering about what to use for the backup meter at school. I have another Bayer Next Link meter ,but wonder how long it would keep the charge. I would rather have a meter with batteries I think at school. Also for home use what do you do for backup. I have another son using One Touch we could use his meter for backup. Just wondering if you only have Bayer Countour Next strips what your doing for backup.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but we use one touch ultra link meter at school. You may be able to get strips for both meters. We still have one touch strips from before we started using the contour meter. Or you could have him bring his meter home from school once every week or two, or send a charging cable to school. The battery should last a while if he's only using it a few times a day. We use our Contur next link meter every day at home and it's charge lasts at least a month, maybe more. he tests 5 to 6 times every day, at least. It doesn't take long to charge it, which is nice. Perhaps he could charge it in the nurses office or something. Good luck!

3. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We have two Next meters. One stays with Chris at all times and the other is a backup at home. If we really needed a third backup at school, I would buy another Contour Next meter and send it in.

I wouldn't worry about the one at school needing to be charged frequently. Ours runs a really long time, like months, on a charge. The nurse could always send it home if the battery is low. You could charge it and send it back to school the next day.

4. Jennifer126

Jennifer126 Approved members

Actually, we use a Bayer at school! Our school nurses are wonderful... beyond wonderful, they are family and it's not an issue for them to just plug it in. We were using the nova max until it went on back order. We had one Bayer for uploading at that point and were able to get one more free Bayer from the rep out here and then purchased one as a back up. So I carry one, nurse has one and one in the drawer. For now, that is our system.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Thanks for all the info!

7. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

You can just send in a charger too. We have found almost any USB charger works with the meter. Our DD uses one at school and her teacher just plugs it into the USB on her computer. That way all the readings are captured on the same meter.

8. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

We have the bayer next for backup. Your diabetic educator or provider may have an extra.
    I have also got one free with a walgreen's rebate.

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I have 3 Next Links. I bought one with my insurance and got one with each of my last two pumps. I have them all linked to my pump and keep one at home, one on my purse, and one in my work bag. I find they hold a charge quite awhile. I'm sure there's a computer at school the nurse could plug the meter into. It also charges quickly.