- advertisement -

For those on MDI, do you use alcohol every time you inject insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by skyleysmom, May 21, 2009.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Faithfully swabbed when Zach was first dx'ed. I'll bet it's been 4 years since we've ripped open an alcohol swab now.

2. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

We swab 80% of the time. My son actually insists sometimes b/c that's what they told us in the hospital. I try not to for all finger pokes b/c it dries his hands up too much.

3. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

We don't for finger pokes, but use alcohol swab each time for injections and also to clean the insulin vial. It's just part of our normal routine but I'm not convinced it's necessary.

4. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Just goes to show you -you do what you are told. We were told at the hospital to use a wipe every time and we do. I guess I never thought of not doing it. Will ask at the next Endo appt.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

We only use alcohol if DD is in a hospital setting where there's nasty germs around..

6. bradleysdad

bradleysdad Approved members

We make sure hands are clean with soap and water for BG testing. We wipe the top of the vial & injection site everytime for insulin injections. I don't think the 2 cents and "time" savings is worth it considering any risk of infection.

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

The only thing I ever swab with alcohol is the top of the insulin vial...That's it:cwds: But, I ALWAYS do that.

8. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

We wash hands for testing but I always wipe the vial and the injection site with an alcohol swab. I have a child that plays in dirt constantly (literally) anyone who wishes to come bathe her 4+ times a day can be my guest :D

9. momof1

momof1 Approved members

we wipe every time fingers and injections. that is what we were told at hospital. seems like better safe than sorry for us. the nurse at school wipes the pen before inserting needle but we don't do that. we do let them dry before stick and injection and for injection we use the ones with the pain relief stuff. they seem to help her i don't know if it's metal or if it really amkes a difference but she most times says the shots don't hurt. we always wipe though. they are only 1.12 a box.

10. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

I always use alcohol wipes before giving Caleb his injections. That's what we were told to do while he was in the hospital and it's just gotten into our routine. I don't always swipe the top of the pen before screwing on the needle, but sometimes I do. Of course, we're only 6 weeks into this, so I won't be surprised if we eventually stop doing it.

11. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We swab with alcohol for injection, unless he just got out of the shower. Finger pokes, we use alcohol unless he just showered or is going to eat, we wash hands before he eats anyway.

We have not have a dry skin issue yet.