- advertisement -

For those of you with tubed pumps - how to handle waterpark/beach?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Jul 1, 2014.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

During the summer we are doing beach, waterpark, etc.

How do those of you with tubed pumps handle this? We usually disconnect for an hour and then recheck bs. I try to get my son to eat something so we can do a small bolus of insulin - hook up the pump and then remove it again for an hour.

Should I be connected and giving a missed basal dose for the disconnected hour if blood sugars are within the normal range? Obviously if he was low I wouldn't be giving additional boluses.

Just wondering how others handle this. Any other advice would be appreciated -

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

With high activity levels during these type things, we have found that being disconnected is fine, maybe he'll need a little correction every hour but not always. YDMV of course, but my son has been disconnected at the beach for quite some time and stayed really level. At the beach he usually leaves his pump in the room and we take a vial and syringe in a cooler with us, just easier all around and less worry about something going missing.

If he's in range, I'd just bolus for food. If you see a later high because of the missed basal, just do a correction. That's how we've handled it anyway.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Another option is to give a shot of lantus for the day. Then you can use the pump for boluses or just do shots for that too. Depends on if the site will stay good, etc. We don't do all day water often.....once we went boating and did only shots that day....didn't want the pump to end up at the bottom of the lake. Or y

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

FIRST if it is a beach adventure (or anything that might have sand dirt) if you site have a 'plug" then use it, it is so frustrating to have a perfectly good site on that has been working and not be able to hook up to it because there is sand/dirt in where the prongs hookup.

I am a lover of Lantus, depending on your basal/bolus ratio you might just have to bolus for carbs when totally taking the pump off.

If no Lantus I would try to have kiddo sit down for at least 15minutes to test and cover a snack every 2hrs. With can avoid skyrocketing BGs from missing basal and the hunger (expensive at waterparks) that might come from lack of insulin and activity.

If you experience too high of numbers, then try a super bolus of basal or combo out the food bolus with some extra.

I have "Food savored" our Dexcom more times than should be known. Yes it is bulkier, but to have it right there in the waist belt and they want to go off into a long line for a slide it the best! I am very confident in the "food saver" option it you already have one. And actually if you just seal it it might float too! (great for the beach and sand)

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We've been a disconnect but make up for lost basal every hour. Activity drops her basal but it doesn't eliminate it - she usually needs 70-80% of normal.

Last week, however, I ordered an Aquapac. Works great and very easy to use. On a Tandem forum there are lots of people who use the her pump's waterproofness to swim without anything but I'm not that trusting...so the Aquapac is nice. She prefers to unhook and make up the basal for short trips swimming but it will be great for full-day events.

If OmniPod is even remotely an option and they are still running the Cut the Cord program, you could buy a PDM out of pocket and get one supply of pods, then switch off on for a few days or a few months.

6. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

One more question about this.
    How do you manage to keep your pump cool? Do you take it with you, leave it in the room, ...? This is another concern more we have.

7. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I found a water-resistant phone pouch that I plan on keeping my pump in. In addition, I found a portable fabric cooler that I can fill with those ice packs that my insulin supplies come in. I also will bring a small washcloth to wrap the pouch in to prevent the insulin in the pump from freezing.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Whether at the beach or pool, we always have a cooler of some sort. I always take a big storage container to hold supplies and store it in the cooler. At the beach he tends to leave the pump in the room and just take a vial and syringes.

There's also the option of a Frio pouch; we've used those at amusement parks in our backpack.

9. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Well we just had our first waterpark experience since we started pumping and it was kind of all over the place. Highs and the lowest I've ever seen her upon waking up the following morning. We didn't really have a plan although I wish I would have thought to bolus the basal for that hour before disconnecting, I think i will start there next time.

10. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

This is our third summer pumping. The first one didn't count because we got the pump in July and all we did was trying to figure out everything. Last summer was just disconnecting a little bit in the mornings and this summer we'll try to make 'normal' life...
    Thank you for your reccommendations.