- advertisement -

For the parents w/a 2nd child w/D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, Feb 23, 2010.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

What were the signs? I know that sounds werid, esp. us parents know what the signs of D are. I am scared that my youngest son might be showing signs of D :( On Saturday he got sick (like stomach flu) very quickly. I mean he was fine in the morning and then before I knew it he was throwing up, had a slight fever, and couldn't stay awake. He slept for 5 hours and he started to feel better. It was an eerie reminder of around the time Luke was dx'd. I checked Ethan after he woke up and it showed his BS to be 123. I just thought well, he is sick and it will be elevated. This morning I let him drink a 6 oz. of pure juice and have 3 peanut butter crackers. I checked him 30 minutes later and he was at 150 :confused: He just seems not be be eating like he used to, and like w/Luke I am thinking maybe it is just him being a toddler. I justed sobbed about this this morning in the shower :( I really hope it is not D. I have been waiting for my other children to get what I thought Ethan had (tummy bug), but they haven't. I thought I would esp. I was around him the most. Thank you so much for your input everybody!

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think those BS #'s are perfectly normal in a person that is not feeling good. My oldest non-D will see BS in the high 180's periodically if sick. Yes - my mommy radar does go off, then I test her (actually I tell everyone it is tiem to test) and she is slightly elevated.

I stopped freaking about it a couple of years ago though.

3. MySweethearts

Thank you so much!!!!! I have been worried ever since Saturday. I love how you guys understand :)

4. browneyesjt

browneyesjt Approved members

Awwww, bless your heart! I know how that ugly feeling is, I have a 2nd son who was diagnosed 4 years after my 1st and totally understand.

Sending best wishes to you and your family hoping this is not D related! :)

5. MySweethearts

Thank you so much Julia! :) Have a great day

6. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

I think those numbers are fine. I have tested 3 non d boys to see what there bg was for comparison. They were 153, 138, 150 all non D. I know that we all worry but even non d kids fluctuate.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

I understand your worry. It is a part of all of our lives.:cwds:

We conduct "testing experiments" as well, when I am concerned about somebody. I don't want any of my other kids to worry that they are developing diabetes so I tell them that we are doing experiments. We've tested before and after a meal, or just whenever. It is very informative to have everybody test before and after eating the same food. My kids all have different numbers and up to 150 is fairly common.

8. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my non-d daughter has been high as 180 before.. Endo didn't seem concerned... if they see something over 200, then they'll get worried.