- advertisement -

For the newbies to read - for the long timers to answer

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by frizzyrazzy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

1. Family dinner out that was about 20 minutes from home, we order our food everything comes out. DD checks her blood sugar and its 400's. I am like WHAT plug it in along with your dinner. DD goes to grab her pump and its not with her. While changing her cloths at home before we left for dinner she left it her pump on the dresser. We look at our waitress as she says "How is the food" We say can we get it to go and the check please we have to leave. The waitresses poor face was like WTH..:eek:

2. DD first low of 21 along with a seizure, - husband says she is having a nightmare, I am saying "SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG". He checks her with the meter I am grabbing glucose tabs smashing them up with her telephone on the nightstand (sprinkling it into her cheek only to think she is going to bite my finger off) since I can't find the cake make gel, Husband runs down to the kitchen rips almost everything out of the pantry- Corn, green bean cans etc. rolling all over the kitchen floor only to run up the stairs FULL SPEED saying I FOUND IT I FOUND IT.. I have the cordless attached to my hip not dialing 911 since I was in some other state of panic. SHE WAS OK after that thank god. She comes to and says "Mommy what is wrong with you and why are you crying. We could laugh the next morning only to see what our kitchen had looked like. NOW we have a special D' cabinet with everything.

Great thread Frizzy!!!!

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

The best thing is that not only do we all start out clueless, but even years into this game, we still have our screw-ups. And even on those days when we somehow manage to get everything exactly right, bs can still be a mess for no reason whatsoever. I just love getting calls from the nurse to tell me that dd's bs was 300, with a pause that means wtf? And I'm like, well we did the same thing as usual so I'm not sure why she's high. :eek: Correct and check again later.

It's weird too that little mistakes can have a huge affect, and huge mistakes can mean nothing. We slept late one Saturday. I dosed dd and sent her down to her waffles. When she got to the kitchen, dh told her to dose--so she did. Oh, did I not mention I already dosed you when calibrating sensor. Oops. But b/c it was late she was on her snack bolus, which is much less. So she ended up needing a small snack later but it was no big deal at all.

And once she had a bath after her site change. We used a mio and didn't but the little thing into the site. A couple of hours later she was sky high!! We never cap her quicksets and never have a problem. Ended up doing a late site change. Brother, you just never know what's going to set D off!!!

3. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

For the first week on the omnipod, we took pod change supplies with us *everywhere*.

4. Blue

Blue Approved members

My favorite goof up so far (still a newbie here) is realizing I would have to force feed my toddler chocolate syrup during a combative low because I ran out of juice. Try explaining that one to anyone outside of a CWD home . . .

Love this thread, by the way!

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I've had to do this before. GROSSED my friends out! I guess 'cause they actually SAW the needle. I had to stick it in and then kind of pull it sideways really fast to get the blood out. It hurt more than usual, but not as bad, say, as when your lancer gets dialed up all the way.

I've also had to poke myself with a syringe...and poked myself with one of those by accident: OUCH!

6. shekov

shekov Approved members

I have done SO many of these it's scary!! :eek:

My worst one was during our first site changes.

Forgot to prime before inserting new set. Start crying. Remove site, start over. Forgot to remove paper from the sticky circle. Cry harder. Remove, start over. Tell dh I can't do this and he's going to have to find a new mother for Charlotte. He told me he thought he'd have to slap me. ;):D:eek::eek:

Dropped new insulin vial on the floor while diligently tapping bubbles out of reservior, all the while probably causing 10000s more by tapping the Heck out of the thing. Starting over with cold insulin which caused...MORE BUBBLES!

7. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Oh, my life is full of D-oops bloopers. Including one this morning. I was in a hurry to get the boys ready for the bus (no coffee yet), and I picked up a pen to log Connor's numbers. As I'm holding the pen to write in the log book, Connor starts giggling? What? What's so funny? "Ummm. Mom, you're using my Lantus pen to write with." Well, it is a pen right :eek:?

I know I've had several times when Connor's Novolog pen has reached the end of the cartridge far from home with no back-up in his bag. I think it's kind of like the end of a roll of TP. Brian suspiciously leaves me with the Novolog pen with .5 units left. I think I'm the one who changes out the cartridges every time. It always runs out when we're away from home. Always. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me, as a newbie I had learned this ridiculous way to change a cartridge. It involved all these intricate steps to slide my fingertip under the silver ring, grip the cartridge, twist, pull myself into a tripod and whistle a tune backwards :p. I don't know who taught me to change a Novolog cartridge, but I surely learned it wrong. I didn't figure it out until the first time I stopped by a novo nordisk rep booth at an event. I felt like a complete dolt.

Hang in there if you're new. It continues to be craziness, but you learn to laugh about it and keep going about your day instead of getting frustrated and feeling guilty about your mistakes. Each day is a new misadventure. At least we have CWD to share our stories with each other. Thanks for the funny thread, Frizzy!

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just remembered one which caused me a lot of frustration and made me realize sometimes my brain really is on standby:rolleyes:.

We ran out of insulin in a vial, so I used the pen needle insulin cartridge. I did like I always did for the vial - sticking the needle in, pushing air into the vial, then withdrawing insulin into the pump reservoir. Except everytime I pushed air into the cartridge, all the insulin came out. I got a new cartridge out, pushed air in, and again all the insulin came out. Third cartridge and as I'm about to push air in, I see that there is a BIG difference between a vial and a cartridge. A vial is made of glass and has a glass bottom. A cartridge is also made of glass but has a rubber stopper at the end.:eek: :eek: So, everytime I pushed air inside, the rubber thingamagigy came out spilling all of the insulin.

Talk about a waste.

9. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Welllllll this one would put be in the front of the "DUH!!!" line :eek:

The day after we got home from the hospital when he was diagnosed, I was testing him every 3 hrs like clockwork. Had the timer on the microwave going constantly. Anyway, right before dinner, he was a little high - like 200. My mind went blank!! Everything I learned in the past week was gone and I couldnt remember what to do. Well ummm, I gave him orange juice. Yep a$$ backwards! Obviously he went up and not down. Called the hospital in a blind panic. I was so sure I could handle things and here I am, 24 hrs later making a very silly ( I refuse to call myself stupid) mistake. The nurse I spoke to knew who I was, calmed me down, reassured me that it was in no way a fatal mistake and helped me figure out the dose. I dont think I slept at all that night. UUGGHH!! :eek:

10. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

First day home I was so gung-ho to do everything just right that I corrected a perfectly in range number ... Didn't realize until she hit 80 a little while later which of course was treated with about 20g of juice lol :cwds: Of course forgotten Levamir doses and missed boluses. The worst by far was the time I had two failed sensor insertion attempts in a row, must not have pushed the button down all the way but needless to say it ended with me in tears and DH getting the job done.

11. JoelsMommy

JoelsMommy Approved members

I gave my son Lantus instead of Humalog. :rolleyes: I called the endo who calmly gave me instructions. She said it happens to everyone at least once.

We got to a restaurant and the container of strips was empty. Instead of panicking or leaving, we figured his insulin based on a good # and gave him a little extra carbs. His next check was great.

We've forgotten his Lantus shot.

I think the most important thing is to not panic.

12. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! That was so funny!!!

But I've had to "share" pumps in public with my daughters. Once, when out for a mommy daughter day with the 3 girls, we realized a couple of hours in that one was out of insulin. 2 daughters, 2 diabetes bags, no back-up insulin! So we used Morgan's pump and pulled it out ever hour to give basals, and then again for boluses. You should have seen all the looks with the tubing being passed aroung the table!

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Came down to the kitchen in the morning, 2 weeks after dx. Tom was at the sink, washing his mouth out and almost gagging in the process. When asked, he said, "I just had some orange juice from the downstairs fridge and I think it's gone bad."

There was no OJ in the downstairs fridge. There *WAS* an OJ container with premixed screwdrivers in it :eek:, leftover from a party, cleverly deposited there by DH for safekeeping.

Fast forward to me 1) driving Tom to school (couldn't risk him going low on the bus from any microscopic amount of vodka he might have ingested at 6 AM) and 2) telling him over and over that he couldn't tell anyone about his little breakfast cocktail.

The hazard of having a self-managing teenager.

I don't know if I ever shared that one with the endo.

14. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

A few years ago, we put the kids to bed. They slept on the 2nd floor, and we were in the basement/family room. Our son has the guardian cgm, and so we had the radio shack speakers, which we forgot to turn on that night. After a while, I figured out the speakers weren't on, and went upstairs to check. He was in full alarm. I cleared the alarm, and noticed something like leg tremors going on - I was thinking he was having a seizure. I grabbed his meter, and started to scream for my husband. The tremors became worse - and all of a sudden the cat crawled out from underneath the blankets - OMG!:eek: I then started laughing!!

My husband and I have both dosed for breakfast... he only ate once, but had double the insulin on board (fun).

Have left town without backup insulin - only to have a site failure 2hrs from home, and hitting the 400's - which led to us buying insulin for $100.

15. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hilarious! Dh was going to do the same thing when he was drawing novolog from the pen cartridge. He looked at me funny when I told him he shouldn't inject air into the cartridge.
    We have six months supply of the pen cartridges. It's so much easier to use a vial but I don't have much choice.

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Awww I want to go back in time and give you a (((((BIG HUGE GIANT HUG)))))):cwds:

17. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I always tell myself and even from about a month into this I am a mom not a pancreas. Even if I was I am doing a better job than her current one lol. So far I have not made any major mistakes. A lot of minor ones but nothing that sent me into panic mode after. I have kicked myself a few times but more like a duh not beating myself up. Like last night I was going to check her at midnight after she had burritos for dinner to give her a correction. She was 140 at 8pm and 190 at 9pm and for some reason my head told me she was at a good number so I didnt have to get up. At 3am 368 oops. Then I gave her only 3 units for a correction and it should have been 5. I gave her the other 2 a hour later. She should be good at 7 when I wake her up. I will test foe ketones then after running high all night she needs as much sleep as she can get.

18. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

OMG...why doesn't this surprise me.?????

Would you be less sympathetic if I told you I called him a whole host of bad words and told him that if he returned to deployment (as if he had a choice) I was going to divorce him? hahaah... we survived.

19. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I did this too! and then later my hubby did it as well - said the cartridge was defective!!!!:)

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ok - so how sad is this - I just had to facebook my child at her dads before she got on the bus...we forgot to refill strips today.

At least I remembered once I got to work - right?