- advertisement -

For Techies: Diabetes Data Standards?

Discussion in 'Research' started by sszyszkiewicz, May 11, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

To my fellow programmers out there dealing with T1D......

So the one thing that strikes me as so odd, is that for a disease where important decisions are made dozens of times each day based on data, there doesn't seem to be a way to easily collect/share diabetes data. I am not talking about this app or that app. I am talking about XML standards, or some ISO standard that anyone that makes diabetes related products can hang their hat on when they write their software.

There doesn't seem to be anything magical/proprietary about the nuts and bolts of diabetes data. Dates, times, blood sugar levels, carbs, and insulin dosing would be some minimum elements in such a standard. My son is not pumping but I would imagine some standards around pump settings. For CGM's some elements about when a sensor was started and when it was calibrated etc..... How hard could it be to get the powers that be to agree on some basic XML elements?

Once you have that basic standard then all sorts of interesting, truly innovative, things could happen so much faster.

So is there an evolving xml standard for diabetes data? is there a standardization effort?

2. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

Yes there is: http://tidepool.org/

Joshua Levy

3. karri

karri Approved members

4. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Well I am plugged into Tidepool. I actually went out and purchased a Mac-mini to get the same development environment they use. Being a Windows guy i had some learning to do, but i brushed off some of my *nix skills, and I have their stack running on my local box. So I feel pretty good about that. Fundamentally the days of faxing numbers to your endo should be a thing of the past. I will do what i can to help these guys. What motivated me was the experience with our Dexcom. Our first receiver failed and they shipped me a new one, but there was no way to merge the patient files from the two different receivers into one patient file. How sad is that! It is my DS's data,and it should not be held prisoner. What if for example I had a years worth of data in the one patient file instead of just 10 days?

Anyway, thanks for the pointer to Tidepool.