- advertisement -

For T:Slim users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Sari

Sari Approved members

May i ask why the Tslim uses less insulin? We are in the process of deciding if we want to change pumps too or stick with Medtronic.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I just switched to the tslim from medtronic and I am using about 20% MORE insulin. Someone else can explain better than me but it delivers insulin in a different way than most pumps and for some (possibly most?) that results in better insulin absorption but for others (like me) it does not.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We had to completely overhaul the settings when we switched from the Ping. TDD has dropped 25%.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

For my daughter, I think it's two things. She does better on straight sets, which isn't an option for OmniPod, and I believe the slower dosing helps with absorption because insulin is less likely to pool. For my son, I think it's mostly the absorption difference. While her TDD is 70-80% basal, he has less basal but much larger boluses...and we've had to reduce not just his basal but his correction and I:C numbers because he was crashing after every bolus. He has historically done well on angled sets but seeing how well he's done with her Cleos, I may just get the same ones for him.

FWIW, both of mine are coming from OmniPod, not Medtronic, and it's one of those "your diabetes may vary" kind of things. It's not that using less insulin is a goal or a sign of doing anything better, it's just one of the changes we've seen with T:Slim.

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

It seems as if most people use less insulin, a few use more because of the micro delivery. We are 20% less insulin used than with Omnipod also, but she is using the Contact Detach, so that may be part of it. We had bad luck with angled sets before the Omnipod, but since those are stiffer it wasn't a problem for the most part. I really love how much less trauma to the skin she has with the metal sets though. I would only use the pods again in an emergency because all of her settings would be off I'm sure.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

For those interested in the tFlex, here is a photo that Gary Scheiner posted on Twitter.

flex.jpg

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Doesn't look very "Slim" anymore...

(But neither do I.)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Heh. Me too. Same body, but with odd bumps and bulges!

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I actually think it's still quite slim, considering the amount of insulin it is holding (480 units). From what I understand the overall dimensions are still the same (2.0" x 3.13"), just the depth at the bump out will be larger (presently it is 0.6").

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

That looks like it would be uncomfortable in my pocket.

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Agreed. It will fit in DS's pocket, which is more than his PDM does. Once it is released, DS is switching to it. That bump doesn't seem like enough of an issue to make him change insulin an extra 40 times a year for 4 years. I'm really looking forward to it...seems ideal for a teen boy. Baggy clothes make this a non-issue for them.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

To add to the anectdata, my son's settings did not change when we went from the MM to the Omnipod to the t:slim. When we toggle back and forth between the t:slim and the Pod, we don't make any setting changes.

13. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

14. rivulet

rivulet New Member

looking for advice and opinions to pick a new pump

Wow, this thread is very helpful. My son (13yrs old) has used the Omni pod for 6yrs and loved it. Now we are told that our new insurance will not cover the pods and we are going to have to switch pumps. We haven't kept up on the latest with pumps since he's been happy with Omni so I'm feeling a little lost now that we need to make a quick decision. Like I should have finalized this last week so I'm a little panicked.

Did I read correctly that some pumps allow a change every 4 days instead of 3 days?

15. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

There are people that leave sites in for 4 or more days, but it isn't something that any pump or endo would tell you to do. We did it for a short time, changing her sites on the same two days each week, but only because of her living situation and needing others to be trained to do site changes. We changed from Omnipod for the same reason that you are, and love the tSlim more than we ever loved the Omnipod with it's quirks. My daughter had used tubed pumps before though, so be ready for an adjustment period. We actually ended up not having to take her off of our insurance and could go back to podding if she wanted to, but she isn't the least bit interested. Good luck!

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

The site should be changed every 3 days, but you don't need to change the cartridge/tubing at that time. That is one of the things that I really, really like about the tSlim. When my son was on the Omnipod, you had to change it out every 3 days, no matter what. With the tSlim, if there is still a bit of insulin left, a quick site change is all that's needed. Granted, that's only happened a couple of times for us as my son uses a lot of insulin, but it's still handy and you're not throwing away unused insulin.

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You are not really supposed to do this but I typically change my site every 4 days (sometimes 5 but I try to avoid that). I don't have any problems. I also only change the cartridge/tubing in my pump every 10 days.

18. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi All,
    I have a quick T:slim question. 22 y/o daughter had a pump fail early this am in Prague, 2 hours away from her apt. The code she got was ominous and when I called Tandem they told us that the software and hardware weren't communicating and so the pump's kill switch was activated. How often has this happened to anyone here? Of course, her loaner pump was also 2 hours away and she didn't have any syringes with. Good to know that they sell syringes in the Czech Republic without a prescription! Anyway, she's had the pump for 1 year and I'm a bit freaked out about it. She did have 3 replacements for her Ping, but it was operational until she got the replacement. I thought I'd just ask...to make me feel better if this hasn't been an issue with many! Thanks! :)

19. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Fwiw, Ds didn't like the bump on the back of the t:flex, so we went with tslim, with the idea that if he goes over 80-100 TDD, we will cover some basal with a lantus shot. I wish you could just have one pump With interchangeable cartridges. That would be ideal.