- advertisement -

For T:Slim users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Mar 6, 2015.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

What are your thoughts on changing to new versions of the T:Slim?

My DD already has a T:Slim and has 2 1/2 years left in her 4 years. My son is getting ready to switch from OmniPod to T:Slim (we're in the medical necessity process now because he has only been on the OmniPod for 2 years.)

Originally, my plan was to upgrade DD to the Dexcom integrated version. But, with it being G4 and with G5 now being out, it has much less appeal. And she's interested in the T:Flex, too, but I don't know if there will even be an upgrade option to go from the Slim to the Flex. And our Tandem rep said that a Flex/Dex combo isn't being planned so it's an either/or. If there's an upgrade option for the Flex, I guess we'll have to re-evaluate - and depending how old she is then the bulkier pump might lose it's appeal since girls' clothes aren't really designed for hiding things. Right now, she's 11 and uses about 100 units a day.

So, since my son is switching now, we have three choices. T:Slim now. T:Flex soon. T:Slim with G4 later. When I talked to him about the options and dates, he picked the Slim because he can get it now and that's most important to him. I'm tempted to wait until the Flex is out because he was so excited about that one. He's used to carrying a PDM around so the Flex size probably won't matter, and everything he wears is baggy and has pockets so it's not a concern. This is the pump he'll use for ages 13-17 and he's around 100 units a day. I just can't decide!

Has anyone else considered the Flex? Is anyone planning to switch to the one integrated with the G4? I'd love to hear what you guys think about the options and why you are planning to use the version you are planning to use just to see what points I might not be considering yet. Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We are expecting delivery of our first t:slim on Monday and use the G4, also expecting delivery of the "share" receiver within a week. I couldn't make an <300u cartridge work for us, but I don't feel like the 480u cartridge is something my kid would need, so that one just isn't anymore attractive than the t:Slim. As for the integrated pump/CGM I thought it would be great, and we did it for a while with her MM pump but in all honestly it was a pain in the ass. I drove her nuts always wanting to look at her pump to see what her blood sugar was. So much so that I asked her one day, "What does Wlison (her name for her cgm) say?" and she replied, "That he wants a restraining order"

The separate pump/cgm just makes more sense for us to share D management. I can see an adult/older self managing teen liking everything on one unit, but prior to that I think separate it better.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

There is no anticipated upgrade option to t:flex (I looked into it). I was very excited about the t:slim g4, but as best I can tell from earnings calls from both companies, g4 will not be compatible with g5 (it will be a different transmitter) and so in order to see the graph on your pump, you will have to use g4 older technology. It's a bummer - that's for sure. I thought it would be great to have the graph on the iphone, but also be able to see it on the pump if the phone's battery died.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

For your son, I think I would go with the t:flex. If he is at 100 units a day at only 13 (so presumably just starting puberty) that is only going to go up. And possibly significantly. I have only used the t:slim for a few days now but I don't think I am getting more than 240 usable units after priming etc. You would know better than me but with a TDD of 100 units I don't see you getting more than 2 days out of a tslim cartridge. Personally, I would make the argument to tandem that it is medically necessary for him to switch to the tslim now so they should either give him a loaner tslim (so wait on insurance and bill once tflex is available) or a free upgrade to the tflex once it is available. Both Animas and Medtronic do provide loaner pumps to soon to be new customers in certain situations so I believe tandem should too.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

The integration of CGM/pump isn't appealing to us at all, for the reasons Sarah stated. As far as the larger cartridge, at your son's age I think it would be a great option. We were down to the last few units at the 3 day mark up until about a month ago when my son's insulin needs dropped considerably (he's 16 1/2). If it's just a few months out, I'd probably hold out for the Flex. But I can completely understand his desire to want it now.

Sorry I'm not much help here, lol. :smile:

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I may be changing my mind about the larger capacity. Does anyone know how much bigger the flex will be? And since we haven't started pumping with a tandem pump yet, is the filling process more… "bother" than just dropping in a cartridge? I'm thinking it likely is so maybe a bigger capacity is more valuable than I assumed at first?… hmmm.

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Agreed. I always thought I would want the combined unit for my son but until he's old enough to take on 100% of his care, having a separate device is easier for us.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Nothing about the filling process should be extended just because of the size; it's the priming that takes awhile and that the length of the tubing is the same regardless. But you would only have to do it every 4 days for the flex vs. every 2 days for the t:slim. It's only a couple of minutes, but it's a pain when the thing beeps low insulin and she's got only a few minutes before she has to leave to catch the bus.

The flex is 480 units, which probably means about 440 usable before prime, so maybe 420 truly usable units per cartridge after filling the tubing. That would be vs. the 260 units (240 after prime) in t:slim. That's a big difference.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

On the T Pumps can't you adjust the warning for the low reservoir amount? ie On my Medtronic I have it set to alert when it will run out in 8 hours, and then you still have about ten (at least) units left after those 8 hours. Ali

10. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I love your daughter's sense of humor! That made me laugh!

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I agree about the G4 and it not being worth waiting for. I've never wanted an integrated pump but since this one would still allow a receiver and because of DexDrip, I was willing to consider it...and it's the option my husband thinks we should go with so I wanted to put it out there.

I'm leaning toward the 480, at least for my son. He would love to be able to fill every 4 days, especially coming from a 2 day change with the pods. I really need to find out the definite release date because he wants off the pods immediately. In fact, I've had him 'trialing' the Slim by having him and his sister switch. She's been on pods for about 2 weeks and he's been wearing the Slim. Every time there is a pod change, he convinces her to give it another 2 days...he's that ready to be off the pods. If it's a month, he can wait...if it's 3 months, he doesn't want to. Since it's 4 years, though, the larger reservoir seems worth the wait.

And I'll have to admit that having both kids on the same supplies would be really, really nice...but I'm still leaning toward Flex. I'll need to call and get the actual release date. I keep hearing "second quarter" but that could be April (which would be fine) or June (which is just too far to convince him to wait.)

12. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Stacy, just curious to know why he is so ready to be off of the Omnipod now? I know that you had said he wouldn't consider a tubed pump before, even after all that you went through.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well..... you could always tell him it will be April even if they say June. :wink: In the big scheme of things, having to wait until June to get a larger reservoir isn't really that long. But I realize to a 13 year old it seems like an eternity. :wink:

14. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

It came as a huge surprise to me, too. His insulin needs have jumped so much over the past 2 months and he's at a point now where he's changing the pods every other day. He'd taken over pod changes around that same time so I think he's feeling just how often he needs to change pods. He asked me about pumps and how they were different and started looking them up online and on YouTube. He really likes the Asante Snap but it's not available in our state (seriously. isn't that bizarre?!) so he was debating. I was really leary of getting him a pump because he's always been so anti-tubing...so I swapped out the kids' pumps. DD is podding again and he's wearing hers. It was a settings nightmare but it really made him realize how different pumps can feel and be used and now he doesn't want to go back. Every time DD changes her pod (which is every other day), I give her the choice to swap back but DS keeps talking her into another two days :) He's in love with the T:slim and doesn't even want to look at other ones. I tried to push him to look at the Medtronic because of the threshold suspend but he looked at the CGM and the reviews and had no interest in giving up the Dex. I've just been so surprised by the whole thing. Not only that he's made this big move, but that he's researching and asking questions and talking to people. He's growing up :) And I'll admit that I won't miss those pods at all ;)

15. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Very true! I like how you think :)

16. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Stacey, is he using less insulin with tSlim?

17. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Not to completely detour this thread. I haven't heard much about the T:Slim G4, do they have an ETA on when that will be released? I'm assuming it is still in FDA approval, which means anytime in the next 10 years, right?

18. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Yep :) I just checked his 7 day average and it was about 70 units a day. Big difference from his pod amounts. I increased my daughter's about 20% to keep her on track while she's wearing his pods.

What's interesting is that I was thinking about getting him an angled set since the pods have worked well for him and because he's so lean, but he's wearing her Cleo straight sets and they seem to be doing really well. I need to look into a little more.

19. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I think it's expected for last quarter 2015, so 7-9 months. But that's just what I've heard so don't bank on it.

20. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

^^ That's not too bad at all. Hopefully, it stays on track. I have run into several people 'in the wild' who have the Tslim. Not one yet that doesn't love it.