- advertisement -

For parents with preschool/early elementary school kids using pumps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Haleymom, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Haleymom

Haleymom New Member

I'm a newbie here (Hi!), so we're in the very early learning stages of living with diabetes. My daughter is 5, was diagnosed in mid-December 2013, and will begin Kindergarten this coming fall. We are all very interested in getting her an insulin pump (she is also very interested), and wondering what pump folks here are using for their younger children? What factors most influenced your decision? Thank you!

2. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

What I would do is contact the rep for each of the pumps that you're interested in. Set up a meeting with them so that you and your daughter can hold the actual pump, and play around with the screens and menus. All of the pumps will do the same thing - deliver insulin. It pretty much boils down to which one you and your daughter feel the most comfortable with. One of them may be more intuitive than another for you; it's really all personal preference. Good luck!

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

yep. This. 100%.

to the OP: When we selected our first pump the primary consideration, after playing with all of them, was how easy or hard it was to navigate the screens. That's really what it came down to.

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

I agree with PP to look at all the pumps (and have your daughter look at them too) before you make a decision.

My DD was 6 at diagnosis and started on the Animas Ping
    about 7 months later. I think it was a good choice because of the meter remote. DD liked to wear dresses at that age and it was easy to bolus her with the remote, rather than having to pull up her dress to get the pump out of her pump pouch.

She recently started using the t:slim, which we also really like, and has a lot of features that are nice (site change reminder, temp basals can be set in 1% increments, etc.)

Good luck with your decision!

5. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

I also agree that meeting with each of the pump reps and playing with each pump is helpful. My son started pumping at 2 years old and a remote was essential so we went with Animas. Now, we don't use the remote at all. It is easier to for the school nurse to enter things directly into his pump.

6. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

My daughter is 5. We went with the Ping. I liked the option to bolus from the meter and that it states it's waterproof. I think we'll want to go with the tslim for our next pump because my daughter will start doing more and from what I've heard, it's very easy to use.

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

As others have said it is really a personal choice. When we went to the pump orientation class there were pump reps there so we could ask questions and look at pumps.
    We started out with the Ping because of the remote meter and at the time it had the smallest settings. It worked well. We didn't send the meter remote to school. The nurse had a basic meter that stayed at school and then the nurse would just enter BG and carbs into the pump.

8. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

For those of you who set up a meeting with a rep, how do the reps generally respond to this request to visit and see the pumps? Do they try to make the hard sale and keep pestering you or are they generally open to letting you see their product and go from there? I know this will vary greatly, but I'd like an idea. I cannot stand the thought of someone driving me crazy to buy their pump, but I do want to make an informed decision. I wish our endo practice had a pump night coming up, but they don't to my knowledge. I would be much more comfortable with this scenario. We are going to a local support group picnic right after our pre-pump psychologist meeting so I'm hoping we can check out the other kids' pumps without being obtrusive.

Right now she really likes the idea of Omnipod, but I have seen alot of posts where people say to let insurance pay for a tubed pump and then get the Omnipod yourself later, which does seem like a good idea.

9. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and is now 7. We started wearing a Medtronic pump at age 3. My husband had a medtronic pump already for his type 1 so I knew it was reliable and there would be less of a learning curve. We have been happy with his pump and have had zero complaints in nearly 4 years.

WHen he was three I looked at a POD tubeless pump, but just thought it was too large for his little body. I know they have down sized a little, but I am not interested in changing at this point.

I would look into the new t-slim - it seems to be the newest item on the market with touchscreen. But, Medtronic has a long track record. We are happy for now.

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD was dx'd at age 5 during kindergarten. She started on a pump the summer before first grade. We chose the Omnipod because it was tubeless, we both tried the automatic insertion and found it to be not too bad, and because we found the screens easy to use for us and for other caregivers.

As others have said, meet with some reps, look the actual pumps over and trial the ones you are most interested in.

11. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

You could check with your endo or insurance company and see if they have a local pump supply company they deal with. Our endo uses a CDE from CCS for new pump shopping, for exactly the reason you mentioned... no pressure. The CCS rep brought all the currently available pumps/CGM's to our house. She discussed pluses & minuses about each pump in regard to our family, but overall she was neutral. There was one question she wasn't sure about the Tslim, so she made a quick call to the Tandem rep & had an answer within minutes.

12. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

If I recall, we met with 4 different reps during CMG and pump shopping. They were all great, nice, low-key, informative. None of them ever contacted us again after our initial meetings. In fact, my only complaint about the reps was that one local rep gave us the brush-off when we tried to set up a meeting, suggesting that we were too newly diagnosed to be considering a pump (we started both CGM and pump with 6 months of DD's diagnosis). I'm not sure if this varies from rep to rep or market to market, but we had good experiences everyone we talked to.

On the OP's question: i agree with everything that has been said about it being a personal choice. We went with the omnipod because our then 2-year-old daughter seemed less frightened by the invisible omnipod insertion. Also, tubeless seemed like an advantage in the preschool setting. I had probably overblown concerns about other kids messing with tubing; now our DD's toddler little brother sometimes tries to pull her pod off, so I've learned the lesson that any pump on a small child is going to demand some vigilance.

13. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac was very young at dx and when he started pumping, the reason we started pumping was he needed such small increments of insulin that without diluted insulin it was impossible to accurately dose. So, we choose MM because at the time it was the only one with an integrated CGM/pump AND had .025 bolus/basal increments.
    Now four years into it we're using a completely different CGM so that doesn't matter and his insulin needs are incredibly different. When we decice to get a new pump we will be trying out the omnipod because of it being without tubing and the ping because of the remote aspect. However, we do know for sure that we prefer the Dexcom CGM out of the two CGM options right now.
    I'd just give each pump a steady look over, figure out what your kiddos needs are and which fit best.

14. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

My daughter is in second grade, but she was diagnosed mid-kindergarten and started on Omnipod during the summer between K and 1st. I agree you may want to play with all the pumps and even trial them with saline yourself to see what is most intuitive for you. That said, we didn't look at anything but OP and we've been completely satisfied. If you look you will find lots of complaints about it, but people don't necessarily get online to talk about how they are having no problems, things are hunky dory, you know? There have been a lot of problems during the transition from old pods to new pods, but the issues seem to be slowing down and for us personally, we had a handful of problem pods when the new ones starts but not a whole ton and now we are back to the same reliability we had before the switchover :)

The OP has been super easy for her teachers to learn to use as well.

15. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

My daughter uses Minimed and started it 3 months after her diagnosis. There was no question about it that we didn't want to continue with the shots. It just broke my heart giving them and she was so good about it. I do think it was good we started with shots for a few months to learn what we can. Now at my daughter's age she loves to eat constantly which would not be possible without the pump.

16. Haleymom

Haleymom New Member

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback and advice! I have also been in contact with our diabetes educator, who has given us some direction on the most common pumps for little kids.

I think I'm really going to appreciate this forum!

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Glad things are moving forward. ;-) Just remember, there aren't that many options ... just the 4 and all will work perfectly well. Also, don't let anyone convince you that five is too young - there are newborns on pumps and there's nothing unusual about wanting to get pumping as a child heads off to school and other activities where managing injections might be more disruptive. Good luck!

18. dpr

dpr Approved members

We didn't have any choice, out insurance only deals with Medtronic. But that being said our daughter used very small amounts of insulin at the time and Medtronic was the only one with .025 unit increments so it worked out great. Were still very happy with the Medtronic pump. We have had to warranty the pump twice for her forgetting to take it off when getting in a pool and their service has been excellent. Overnighting a new pump each time with no hassle at all. So we only have experience with one brand of pump but as long as their service stays as good as it has I don't expect we'll be changing.

19. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I just want to stress that you do not have to go with the pump your endo team is most comfortable with. We went with MM as per our endo team stating they felt it was the best for young children, but what I have found in the last 4 years was it was the one that had the most reps available to them, they had the most experience with it and they were just more comfortable with it's computer programming. I even had to convince them we wanted the dexcom as we were having terrible experience with the old MM sensors. Had I asked more questions I would have preferred the animas with the remote as that aspect has been a definite need for us with our very busy kid who finds it hilarious to try and run off amidst getting a bolus. So, do better than I did and ask more questions and don't just take their word for it :) Check them all out and don't feel bad if you're picking one they have never worked with before, it'll give them something new to learn :)