- advertisement -

? for other parents of GIRLS in puberty

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 23, 2013.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm just wondering how others manage their own need for sleep vs. the roller-coaster of a girl in puberty.

1) What is your target number for nighttime?
    2) What number is your CGM low alarm set for? How soon does it realarm a low?
    3) What number is your CGM high alarm set for? How soon does it realarm a high?
    4) Does your daughter wake to lows?
    5) How many times per night are you up on average?

I'm looking for feedback on GIRLS specifically because of the difference in management between the genders at this age. I know puberty is a challenge for everyone, but we were told by an endo that boys are easy in comparison.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

1) What is your target number for nighttime? 9p-12a 150, 12a-6a 160

2) What number is your CGM low alarm set for? 90
    How soon does it realarm a low? 3 min

3) What number is your CGM high alarm set for? 240
    How soon does it realarm a high? 3 min
    4) How many times per night are you up on average?
    Hubby will check before he goes to bed between 10-11, then I set my alarm and check around 2 or 3 (most nights).

My daughter is 12 and is going through puberty.

3. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

DD is 11 and in the early stages of puberty. She hasn't started her period yet and probably won't for a couple more years, but we have noticed some changes in her insulin needs at different times of the month.

1) What is your target number for nighttime? 100
    2) What number is your CGM low alarm set for? How soon does it realarm a low? 70, realarms after 30 min. We have it set low because the Dexcom seems to read lower than actual BG at night.
    3) What number is your CGM high alarm set for? How soon does it realarm a high? 140, realarms after 2 hours.
    4) Does your daughter wake to lows? No, she never has. She often will drink a juice box and still not really wake
    5) How many times per night are you up on average? I would say it averages 2-3 times per night. Occasionally not at all, though I still roll over and look at the Dexcom receiver anytime I wake (I don't set an alarm though). Other nights I'm up chasing highs or lows 5-6+ times in one night.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Target number for nights is 110-120.

No CGM.

DD wakes to lows.

I stay up till 1-2 am and get a last measure, my wife measures 4:30 am, and we're up getting ready for school 7:30 am. During puberty it was pretty wild. There were times where I stayed up most of the night, measuring (and adjusting) and working. I'm self-employed and work from home. I'd then sleep during the day, while DD was in school.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Target overnight really depends on the day. With a CGM I like to see her at about 120. That may seem high but her basal rates are aggressive and she plays sports so there's usually a bit of a drop overnight - I like having a cushion.

High 180
    Low 70

set of "attentive" - 3 minutes ( I think)

Yes, she can wake for lows but who knows how many lows have gone unnoticed over the years?

I'm up most every night around 2 AM

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

12 yr old - menstruation started April 2013
    1) What is your target number for nighttime? 6.2 all day and night (111)
    2) What number is your CGM low alarm set for? How soon does it realarm a low? No CGM
    3) What number is your CGM high alarm set for? How soon does it realarm a high? No CGM
    4) Does your daughter wake to lows? Mostly... not late 3's (54 - 70's though)... I am finding she is sleeping a lot more heavily though. More teenagerish sleep pattern of not being able to get to sleep easily and not being able to wake up early :rolleyes:
    5) How many times per night are you up on average? 2 - though if we get a good number by 1am she is usually steady from then on... between 11pm and 1pm is the time I need to get right.. Our basal rate rises significantly at 3am to offset the dawn phenomenon.

We don't really get any more roller coaster effect within a day BUT we do get very differing weeks of numbers... From one week to another can change significantly and we're slowly getting a sort of pattern.

7. MomofSweetOne

What do you mean by her basal rates are aggressive?

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

That they are very high.

9. MomofSweetOne

Gotcha. Isn't that just normal for puberty that they are significantly higher than other times of life? I guess I would say ours would probably qualify, but I try for what holds her steady (ha!).

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Our late day and evening basal rates are probably 15% higher than they "need" to be to help smooth out our apparent ineptitude for prebolusing or catching all carbs consumed. Also we're finding that both fat and protein need a little insulin to avoid big spikes. Then the overnights are just high - she's always needed more insulin from midnight till about 4-5 AM at which point needs drop considerably. Toss in 2 hrs of hockey every bloody day - adrenaline spikes and delayed lows, LOL, no wonder I like her at 120 :rolleyes:

11. MomofSweetOne

!

LOL. You have an insulin need drop at 4 a.m. as well? I got told by an endo a couple weeks ago that I was overdosing her at night if her needs dropped at 4 a.m. I decided she needs about three weeks of hands-on management of a girl in puberty 24/7...but not at my house!

We're targeting 120 these days, too. Gives a buffer as well, but it's a toss up night to night whether the BG will climb or drop.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

No teen here, but my dd's basal needs drop around 4am also.

13. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

My Answers in Red :)

14. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

See we're the opposite. Ashleigh's basal needs actually rise around 3-4am.